Skip to content

Why is Eowyn always painted or drawn with sensible armor?

kiwidockiwidoc Member Posts: 1,437
edited August 2014 in Off-Topic
While hunting for images for my believable armor thread I’ve come across dozens and dozens of Eowyns – by professional artists and amateurs, of variable quality from awesome to awful, and of varying age from decades to recent. None of them have bare bellies or exposed cleavage. Why do you think this is so? btw I believe some of these options are incorrect ... can you guess which ones?

Chpas and chapesses please be nice ... NO FLAMING!
  1. Why is Eowyn always painted or drawn with sensible armor?16 votes
    1. The artists wouldn’t dare! They know the Tolkien fans would lynch them.
      18.75%
    2. Tolkien described his character too well, and his description didn’t include bewbs.
      12.50%
    3. The books came out before they starting drawing fantasy females as nearly nude.
      12.50%
    4. The famous artists depict Eowyn gave her sensible armor, and now it’s the way everyone visualises her.
      12.50%
    5. Deep down artist know that excessive boobage is wrong, and Eowyn is too well loved to desecrate her.
        0.00%
    6. Peter Jackson didn’t give her a metal bikini.
      18.75%
    7. Who the hell is Eowyn?
      25.00%

Comments

• O_BruceO_Bruce Member Posts: 2,790
    The next part of popular series "Fixation About Armor And Females" titled "The Next Topic - Eowyn" begins.
  • SquireSquire Member Posts: 511
    I'm going with "the books came out before anime and WoW became influences, and hence were created with a more traditional RPG visual style in mind".
  • scriverscriver Member Posts: 2,072
    Two reasons:

1. She wore "real" armour in the movies.

2. She was written as an actor, not an object.

I had a third reason but I forgot it immediately after I started writing.
    Squire said:

I'm going with "the books came out before anime and WoW became influences, and hence were created with a more traditional RPG visual style in mind".

Yeah, the "traditional RPG visual" definitely didn't oversexualize women! Wait, what?
  • meaglothmeagloth Member Posts: 3,806
    Well, it can't have been the book, because people, aren't drawing The a character from a book. They're drawing a character from a movie. If they where drawing someone from a book you wouldn't be able to recognize from pic to pic. And in the movie she was wearing decent armor, and so that what they draw.
  • KamigoroshiKamigoroshi Member Posts: 5,870
    I have no idea who or what a Eowyn is (sounds like a Icewind Dale snack to me). But I believe each artist is free to draw whatever they want to.
  • kiwidockiwidoc Member Posts: 1,437
    edited August 2014
    @scriver You do realize the movies came out fifty years after the books were published ... and that it took Tolkien at least 17 years to edit and rewrite them into the form that finally got published? I confess - I put that option about the movies in as a "devils advocate" kind of thing.

@meagloth see the above paragraph. Firstly, people have been drawing and painting Tolkien images for over sixty years - and yes, you can find images that old on the net. Secondly, people often draw what they read, not what they see. The descriptions in books have always given many people their own internalized images of what they are reading about. We don't have to actually see it to SEE it!

@squire I've done a quick search to find some of the amazingly sexist book covers and comics that came out in the fifties. These are all sci-fi because pre Tolkien there really wasn't much fantasy. Click on the links for a giggle or two.

Weird Fantasy

Captain Science

Dynamic Science Fiction

For standard fantasy in the sixties and seventies just think Frank Frazetta and you'll get the idea.
    What intrigues me is even that early how fan art and professional illustration of Tolkien and Eowyn was so different to the usual images. I remember buying Tolkien calendars while at uni, while my class mates had pin up posters of girls in liquid metal bikinis.

@Kamigoroshi Eowyn and her uncle were very nearly a snack for a flying monster ... and as she is called "The White Lady of Rohan" I bet someone somewhere has made an ice-cream sundae or a cream cake dedicated to her name ;)
    @ZelgadisGW the day that the ratio of images of women in metal lingerie to women in vaguely believable armor drops to under twenty to one is the day "my fixation" will lessen. Although on re-reading the last sentence I'm not all that sure its me who's got the fixation :D
    @kiwidoc
    I doubt it's 20 to 1, but that's your view. Just remember that people will most often see what they want to see.
  • CrevsDaakCrevsDaak Member Posts: 7,155
    … I'd say the most obvious option is missing, since she was dressed as a male warrior of Rohan to go to the war against the servants of Sauron (and she did better than many others), and besides that part, she never wears an armor again, so I'd say it is because of that ;) and because Tolkien fans would otherwise lynch the authors of the image, yes.
  • FinneousPJFinneousPJ Member Posts: 6,455
    I know who Eowyn is, I just thought the options are biased.
    edited August 2014
    @ZelgadisGW You are right - it isn't twenty to one. It is more like thirty to one. I have searched the galleries of well over 500 artists in the last three months, and I have also searched many large, multi-artist fantasy sci-fi collections as well. I gave up counting after I found a ratio of about 50 to one in one for fan art of one game - it just got too frustrating and depressing.

@CrevsDaak "since she was dressed as a male warrior of Rohan to go to the war against the servants of Sauron (and she did better than many others), and besides that part, she never wears an armor again, so I'd say it is because of that" Now that really makes a lot of sense. There is a rich collection of UK folk songs, legends and poems featuring women dressing as men to go to war, and in all of them nobody could tell they were female. Tolkien must have been well aware of them.
    @kiwidoc
    If you are searching artists instead of official media, then no wonder. Thing is, artists do whatever the hell they want, so your complaining isn't going to fix that. Of course, you can point fun at that and it's totally ok, but topic about "pointing fun" that has over 20 pages is little off board. We have already two of these, and this is beginning of the next one and my first comment here is refering to that.

I mentioned official media (advertisements, TV, games and so on), so why not expand this a little. It's basically "sex sells" rule. Whatever is appealing to opposite gender works and this is also the reason why men and women are presented in different way in media. You won't see a weak and unconfident looking, dirty and incompetent men in advertisement much, as you won't see very ugly women much.

Additionaly, according to psychologists, to most women it is more important what man is capable of than how he looks, while to most men, woman has to has good look first. That is why you don't usually see art with men wearing plated strings, because they would look funny and non masculine that way. I also cannot help to notice that majority of people are totally ok with bare chested medieval warriors in media. Nah.

Anyway, back to Eowyn. Why is she presented in practical armour. First of all, Tolkien fanboys (not that there is difference between fan and fanboy). Second, but probably more important, her description in books. And finally, her description in the movie.
  • dustbubsydustbubsy Member Posts: 249
    I think because Tolkien and the stereotypical fantasy novels were coming from different places. Tolkien from what I know was quite traditional, highbrow and sober, his work was strongly influenced by Anglo-Saxon mythology (?). So when the original artists interpreted Tolkien they reflected that, and that survived into later artists' interpretations to this day. I don't know if anyone's noticed, but there's very little sex in Tolkien. :) Fans know when they enter Tolkien they have to behave themselves. :)

But the stereotypical later fantasy writing was coming from a later time, with later influences, it was in a sense pulp fiction made to appeal to young males and their *fantasies*. So that's where the sexy warrior women tropes come in. I mean, it's a great way to draw men into a book, to have a cover with a sexy female on it.
    @Ze;gadisGW I've been a Tolkien fan for over 30 years - does that make me a fan boy? But wait .... I'm a girl *that was purely tongue in cheek*

Actually the fact that pre Peter Jackson Tolkien fans seemed to be pretty much equally male and female could be another factor in why Eowyn has always been drawn the way she is.

About artists and media - artists most definitely don't always do what they want. If they don't want to be starving artists most of them do what the client asks for, or they do what sells. (Hobby artists are a different matter, but I haven't really been looking at them) However this just shifts the question from "Why do fantasy/sci-fi artists portray women like this?" to "Why do clients and the people who buy their products want them to portray women like this" or should that even be "why do the people with the money think the people who buy their products want them to portray women like this."
    @kiwidoc‌
    What I told you are basics from psychology of marketing. Accept it or deny, I don't care either way.

I was of course reffering to hobbists artists. But yes, artists often do exactlt what they are commissioned with. And whola, we have marketing again.

You can be a fan of Tolkien for even 50 or 70 years. As long as you are sane, you are neither fanboy or fangirl.

Also, why do you think it's mostly ugly women who complain?
    CrevsDaak said:

… I'd say the most obvious option is missing, since she was dressed as a male warrior of Rohan...

Ah, true. That's probably the reason then, the fact that she's dressed as a man, and men don't generally wear mail bikinis and boob plate.
    edited August 2014
    @FinneousPJ If you noticed I asked people to be nice on this thread, and not to flame. You just called me ugly, and you've called the other women on this site who have complained about ridiculous sexualized art work ugly without having the faintest idea what we look like. This comes perilously close to a flame.

My mother never allowed me and my sisters to have a Barbie doll because of her ridiculous shape. She also never allowed my little brother to have a he-man doll or any of the similar dolls because of their ridiculous shapes. If I'd been blessed with kids I'd have done the same.

But this thread isn't about toys, it is about art - and any reasonably large sample of fantasy and sci-fi art will show that the vast majority of female images are under dressed, use either display or submissive posturing, and are frequently utterly unbelievable. There are grossly exaggerated and unbelievable images of males out there - but they don't outnumber the reasonable pics by thirty to one or more.
    kiwidoc said:

@FinneousPJ If you noticed I asked people to be nice on this thread, and not to flame. You just called me ugly, and you've called the other women on this site who have complained about ridiculous sexualized art work ugly without having the faintest idea what we look like. This comes perilously close to a flame.

My mother never allowed me and my sisters to have a Barbie doll because of her ridiculous shape. She also never allowed my little brother to have a he-man doll or any of the similar dolls because of their ridiculous shapes. If I'd been blessed with kids I'd have done the same.

But this thread isn't about toys, it is about art - and any reasonably large sample of fantasy and sci-fi art will show that the vast majority of female images are under dressed, use either display or submissive posturing, and are frequently utterly unbelievable. There are grossly exaggerated and unbelievable images of males out there - but they don't outnumber the reasonable pics by thirty to one or more.

@kiwidoc‌ Actually, I didn't call you or the women on this site ugly. I said from my experience the women who complain are mostly ugly. If you don't understand the difference and are unable to discuss this, I'm sorry.
    @FinneousPJ okay, I understand that you didn't mean to be offensive - but the hundreds of women I've met who object to that kind of art seem to be a pretty normal range of physical attractiveness to me. I'd be very careful where I posted a statement like that. That's not meant to be a put down, just friendly advice.
    edited August 2014
    That's cool. You don't think that taking offense might be influenced by a person's lack of confidence in the way they look?
    @FinneousJP no I don't. Those with low self esteem and poor self image don't tend to get angry at other people, they get angry at themselves and sad. That's 3 decades of being a shrink talking, not just an opinion off the top of my head.
    We better stop now, cos I'm hijacking my own thread :D
    OK. On topic though, you want to make the poll options as objective and as disaffectionate as possible, in order to have a meaningful result.
    This poll was pretty tongue in cheek - as shown by the last choice.
  • scriverscriver Member Posts: 2,072
    kiwidoc said:

@scriver You do realize the movies came out fifty years after the books were published ... and that it took Tolkien at least 17 years to edit and rewrite them into the form that finally got published? I confess - I put that option about the movies in as a "devils advocate" kind of thing.

I don't see why that would matter (and if course I knew that) - the movies would still have done a lot to shape peoples' perceptions of the characters and setting design. Number two also refers to the books, not the movie plot.

Also, why do you think it's mostly ugly women who complain?

It's funny you should bring that up in such a way, because feminists were practically the only ones who protested against he-man.

I like how you called yourself ugly at the end, though. But no, that's certainly not my experience, but I havnoticed that the only people who say stuff like that are either trolls or really fucking stupid people. Which one are you?
    @scriver‌ I think you're the troll here.
    Actually, regarding He-Man, this is a good point...it's not just women who get sexualised with impractical armour, men get it too sometimes. Male "barbarians" from bronze age style settings often have to wear only a pair of rawhide boxer shorts and a baldric. He-Man is a perfect example, as is the likes of Conan, and the Frank Miller version of the Spartan hoplites (who never dressed like that in reality). Men also get impossibly proportioned in the same way women do, with huge sixpacks and biceps the size of tree trunks. :P