Skip to content

Fond Memories Of Icewind Dale: Share Your's!

2»

Comments

• simplessimples Member Posts: 540
    new spell animations and icons, different hud.. it made it feel like a totally different game/series than baldurs gate
  • QuartzQuartz Member Posts: 3,853
    The portraits worked great for Icewind Dale. I thought his new portraits in BG:EE felt pretty out of place.
  • AlexisisinneedAlexisisinneed Member Posts: 470
    decado said:

Druids, Bards and Paladins all have class specific options/dialogue available. The Paladin less so but it's still there.

Don't forget the sarcastic thief!
  • EnialusMeliamneEnialusMeliamne Member Posts: 399
    edited September 2014
    'Camping' in the Vale of the Shadows for a good ole' yeti slaughterfest via rest respawns. Nothing like boosting your characters for a few extra levels.

All kidding aside though, Everard's sacrifice in the vein of Jarrod, was pretty good stuff. First time I saw that part, I was pretty impressed.
  • ElrandirElrandir Member Posts: 1,664
    @Quartz‌ That's right! The IWD portrait guy made the new ones for BG:EE, didn't he? I had forgotten. Or perhaps I'm wrong, in which case I've just made an ar*e of myself.
  • QuartzQuartz Member Posts: 3,853
    @Elrandir Yessir. I had a, umm... discussion with him hahaha some people may remember. I was blunt and a little rude to be honest, so.
  • old_jolly2old_jolly2 Member Posts: 453
    Working like Napoleon in front of my laptop with my ice-tea , with my 6 , Heart of Fury , to find a way to beat that Summoner Yuan-ti. I had it , but later then I found an easier way , a story-driven way that made me feel so, so bad...

I also remember the psych I had when getting a strategy to beat Yxunomei. Some frustrations , and later victory.

The feel of isolation when you work through a game at the hardest , without any spoilers and hints is good. It's a shame it is only once for every game as long as your memory is intact.
  • MathsorcererMathsorcerer Member Posts: 3,037
    Some of the best voice sets I have ever heard. "Just so you know, I'm...pretty evil." "I understood you the first 20 times you selected me."

Collecting the correct equipment to make a fighter-type immune to slashing damage.
  • SeldarSeldar Member Posts: 438
    The Severed Hand is a very nice place. My favorite with BG city and Beregost. Lights, musics, the history of that fortress, Larrel, everything is beautiful
  • FandraxxFandraxx Member Posts: 193
    Sadly my most fond memory as my game breaking on the last boss and not playing the final cutscene, my guys just sat there. But i cant fault the game for that. I think my most fond memory was always making my druid' ya know the guys that a supposed to be all formal and proper have the silly voice. Summon a fire elemental? Yeah thats fine i guess :\
  • Vonbek777Vonbek777 Member Posts: 135
    edited September 2014
    One of my favorite memories...astrolabe whirls, twirls....Severed Hand kicked my butt so many times, taught me how to use clerics for the first time. Never really appreciated the cleric in BG, but the Hand taught me that they aren't merely medics and turn undead/sanctuary is a powerful tool to have in your arsenal.
  • VarwulfVarwulf Member Posts: 564
    Finding out that the narrator was actually the bad guy all along
    was one helluva memory for me :O
  • old_jolly2old_jolly2 Member Posts: 453
    edited September 2014
    Vonbek777 said:

...taught me how to use clerics for the first time. Never really appreciated the cleric in BG, but the Hand taught me that they aren't merely medics...

I agree with that. I learned that clerics are those who "turns fighters on" :) , after I dualled a mage., and don't forget about druids too. Though I did not learn it in IWD , I especially selected druid at first because of both healing and 'summons'. Summonning was the master piece in my chess. I still got fond memories dispatching countless gnolls at the Shadow Dragon in BG2 , yelling "Die Scum!" and going down after a second like it's a Braveheart movie. Shadow Dragon stopped resisting at the mass army of William Charname Wallace after inefficient attempts to malison hobgoblins and gnolls , poor sod.
  • VarwulfVarwulf Member Posts: 564
    Actually, a fairly recent playthrough I did with a friend of mine (his first playthrough), in the Black Temple of Lower Dorn's Deep, right before the second to last encounter with Poquelin, that huge fight with all of the Zombie Lords and simply dozens upon dozens of high and medium level undead monsters, among other things...

My friend's characters all became stunned and were badly wounded. My three characters (I had a female dwarf barbarian, a female half-elf cleric/mage, and a male thief) had their fair share of troubles too. I forget what exactly happened but my thief (ranged fighter) was more or less useless or subdued in the fight, leaving my barbarian to try to hold off a ton of the baddies while my cleric/mage turned undead around my friends' characters (all on low health) in order to keep them alive. Eventually my barbarian even had to flee from the fight because it was becoming too much for her, resulting in my cleric/mage going into the front line with turn undead on. Cast several spells as well, but mainly, turn undead was my baby. Ended up killing countless undead that way, and the Zombie Lords and Greater Mummies in the fight kept fleeing away from all of the wounded/stunned characters so they could lick their wounds.

Eventually, it was won, with probably a hundred or so monsters lying--dead--again--on the floor around us.

It was amazing, it gave me a totally new appreciation for the cleric/mage (she had 44 hit points with gear that even raised her HP, leaving her even way under the HP level of my thief). She was a huge asset for the team before this, but was almost always out shined by my barbarian. Not in this battle :)
  • AltairAltair Member Posts: 128
    What I loved the most was playing the Heart of Fury mode, especially at the start of the game: what a thrill to struggle for an hour finding strategies to kill a couple of goblins, making you jump several levels at a time!
  • KenjiKenji Member Posts: 251
    After reading through the posts, I am glad to find many that shared similar (if not the same) views on Icewind Dale. The wonderful music, background art, as well as beautiful portraits.

If I have to pick something that hasn't been said yet, that'd be the evil choices I got to make in the Icewind Dale series (Especially in Icewind Dale II)

Good ol' memories...