Skip to content

Engine, features, and which way 'round it goes

I'm just curious, but is IWD:EE using the original IWD engine with stuff like kits and the sort added in, or will it use the BG:EE engine with (maybe) some of the IWD stuff slapped on top of it? And whichever way it goes, are there some features or options or things from either one that will be caught in the crossfire and won't be in?

Comments

• CoM_SolaufeinCoM_Solaufein Member Posts: 2,607
    I'm pretty sure it was mentioned that they'll use the BG2EE engine
    CrevsDaakArduljackjack
  • CrevsDaakCrevsDaak Member Posts: 7,155
    The IWD engine was already something like the BG1/BG2 one (since it was a mix between those two), so I don't think much stuff would actually change.
    elminsterjackjack
  • ChowChow Member Posts: 1,192
    edited August 2014
    CrevsDaak said:

The IWD engine was already something like the BG1/BG2 one (since it was a mix between those two), so I don't think much stuff would actually change.

If this were true, someone would've modded the objectively infinitely more awesome IWD spell effects to BG1 and 2, a long time ago. But as I hear this is impossible.
    The_New_Romance
  • Avenger_teambgAvenger_teambg Member, Developer Posts: 5,862
    Chow said:

CrevsDaak said:

If this were true, someone would've modded the objectively infinitely more awesome IWD spell effects to BG1 and 2, a long time ago. But as I hear this is impossible.
    Both has some truth.

The original bg1 engine doesn't have the .pro fileformat, instead they hardcoded every projectile.
    The original iwd engine doesn't have the .pro fileformat, instead they hardcoded every projectile (added a lot more to bg1).
    The original bg2 engine has the .pro fileformat, and most of the hardcoded bg1 projectiles.

So, technically the old IWD engine is about the same as BG1, but of course visually it was better, because the scripters could chose from a lot more effects.

It is possible to simulate most, but not all, of the IWD spells in BG2/ToB, definitely more than with the BG1 engine.
    Technically, the BG2 projectiles are better, because they allow more things for the scripters (and modders).

Note: i talked about only vanilla engine types :)
    elminsterJuliusBorisovjackjack
  • DrugarDrugar Member Posts: 1,566
    I do hope they'll keep the IWD inventory and interface sounds though. Gave it a more unique feel.
    ChowThe_New_Romance
  • artificial_sunlightartificial_sunlight Member Posts: 601
    At the start of BG:EE there came a lot of questions. Can we get druid spells of IWD, can we get this graphic can we get that sound. And the answer was always, NO we don't have the licence!

But now you have! Party time!?
    rorikonaqzinaJuliusBorisovDrugar