Skip to content

Recruiting some help for a BG game wiki!

sandmanCCLsandmanCCL Member Posts: 1,389
Some friends and I a number of years ago got together and made a wiki for all things Baldur's Gate, with an emphasis on playing it "hardcore," which is to say if you die even once, you start completely over. It's a blast of a way to play the game, but even if you choose not to our site is a pretty good resource.

It used to be an even better resource but we were hacked awhile ago and never got around to repopulating some of the segments. Specifically, maps. Maps would be cool. Maps are easily the most important thing we never did back around to re-creating.

SO: If you guys want to help get it in shape for the upcoming EE or want to help add stuff EE brings once that hits, the site is

http://playithardcore.com/pihwiki/index.php?title=Baldur's_Gate

At the beginning of summer, I was able to get a lot of the tables and charts back into working condition and my opinions about classes, kits and whatnot are all up to date.

Note that we lumped the entire series onto the same page so stuff goes beyond just BG1 levels.

Comments

• SallparadiseSallparadise Member Posts: 94
    Isn't there already the Forgotten Realms wiki?
  • BjjorickBjjorick Member Posts: 1,208
    will take a look and let you know what i think. though lol, not sure taht i have the self control to not reload, i might be better trying to only save in the inn :P
  • Metal_HurlantMetal_Hurlant Member Posts: 324
    It seems to be a promotional site for mods. That's what I got from it.
  • omria3omria3 Member Posts: 2
    edited August 2012
    Wouldn't it be better to just expand the anemic http://baldursgate.wikia.com
  • sandmanCCLsandmanCCL Member Posts: 1,389

It seems to be a promotional site for mods. That's what I got from it.

I... suppose I could see that criticism. Honestly it was just me and a handful of friends who tried to challenge ourselves in BG and a handful of other games, before there was a wikia for every video game out there. We felt it was important to let people know we ran the game with mods else some things in the guide wouldn't make sense. In my defense, I thought BGtutu and a lot of the game fix packs we utilized were (or at least are now) common knowledge. One of the first threads created on GoG.com when the games were released there was a How To thread on getting BGtutu or other mods running. We aren't affiliated with anyone. It's seriously just a random collection of internet friends that started the site.

In regards to the Forgotten Realms wiki, that's about the universe and not specifically the game.

In regards to the "anemic" baldursgate.wikia, you said it yourself. It's anemic. It's also decidedly bland, if you ask me. Even unfinished, the work I put in at PIH still surpasses that wikia already. It also doesn't talk about game mechanics and strategies to help you win, which is kind of the point of a strategy guide. Also also I don't personally have creative control on it to help create a quality end-result.

In regards to our idea of "playing it hardcore," it isn't for everyone. But it does make you better at a game! I only personally made it through the entire saga "hardcore" a single time because I'd usually die to some silly thing while I wasn't paying attention and would just give up on the idea because I didn't feel like redoing hours of playtime. Guides aimed in our style still help out every player.

It doesn't really matter to me if anyone wants to help or not. It would be nice and all, but I'm going to be busy at work with it as much as I can be while school is going on once BG:EE comes out regardless. The reason I contribute is mostly for my own enjoyment because I just happen to find documenting the hell out of games I play a ton of to be fun, like the sick masochist I am. I just figured I would share it with you all.
  • moody_magemoody_mage Member Posts: 2,054
    One thing I'd like to add which I read years ago regarding Keldorns armour;

"Keldorn's Firecam Family Plate is wearable if you have 15 strength, 17 constitution, 12 intelligence, and 18 Charisma. It is just a Full Plate +1 that also confers +1 to all saving throws and Free Action, so it isn't that noteworthy. Artificially raising your stats will NOT allow you to equip these armors."

Did'ya'know Monks can equip this armour with no penalty (I think) if they meet the stat pre-reqs?
  • PaheejPaheej Member Posts: 126
    Doesn't GameBanshee (http://www.gamebanshee.com/) already cover just about everything? I mean its a nice idea but I always used gamebanshee on my subsequent playthough if I was trying to do every available request.
  • Bynary_FissionBynary_Fission Member Posts: 202
    edited August 2012
    decado said:

Did'ya'know Monks can equip this armour with no penalty (I think) if they meet the stat pre-reqs?

Yes, but that was a glitch, which will likely be fixed when BG2: EE comes out.

That said, I'd love to contribute to a proper Baldur's Gate wiki though my contributions will have to wait until the EE version comes out (last year my 4th disc literally exploded in my hard drive as I loaded it in during a session of the original BG...I haven't been able to play it since. *cries*). Once I refresh my memory I'd be glad to do my part. :)
    Paheej said:

Doesn't GameBanshee (http://www.gamebanshee.com/) already cover just about everything? I mean its a nice idea but I always used gamebanshee on my subsequent playthough if I was trying to do every available request.

Gamebanshee is good. I personally hate the way they have their site laid out, though. I've used the site plenty of times in the past so I know about it.

The game is a decade+ old. There are a lot of guides online. I am aware of this. However, there is not a good wiki for it because that concept didn't really happen til post game's relevance.

Also, most the guides I see simply say "Go here to get X loot." I like stuff a little more in depth than that. Like, say, at the Beregost Temple. Typically I only have my own character and Imoen in my party til I hit level 4 with both characters simply because then every other NPC will come at a higher level so it makes the overall XP grind less. There's the two vampiric wolves in the corner. When you write your own guide, your own wiki, you can then write a strat about how to take them out at level 2, reliably, and probably gain an entire level because of it.

Which, btw, is to stealth til you see just one of the wolves, hit it with an arrow, and pull it backwards. Spam the shiz out of fireball scrolls, magic wands, you name it. IIRC it was fairly easy to get a big wand of missiles really early as well as a few cheap damage magic scrolls.
  • Metal_HurlantMetal_Hurlant Member Posts: 324

We felt it was important to let people know we ran the game with mods else some things in the guide wouldn't make sense. In my defense, I thought BGtutu and a lot of the game fix packs we utilized were (or at least are now) common knowledge.

There are some people who prefer not to use mods. Some mods are game breaking with bugs or have OP items. For me, I just want to install the game and play instead of the hassle of installing mods, or which mods do I need to install in what order? Personally, I think a wiki should have a more balanced view.

People who haven't played BG1 may find it confusing when they select on Kits and see classes on the web page that aren't in BG1. eg. the Cleric and Druid kits. It doesn't say which classes are in BG1 or BG2.

the work I put in at PIH still surpasses that wikia already. It also doesn't talk about game mechanics and strategies to help you win, which is kind of the point of a strategy guide. Also also I don't personally have creative control on it to help create a quality end-result.

If you're trying to incorporate a game guide into the wiki, then it would be better to have it in a separate part of the wiki. Web sites like Planet Baludurs Gate have different links for Characters / NPCs / Walkthroughs / Media / etc. for the IE games.

Paheej said:

I mean its a nice idea but I always used gamebanshee on my subsequent playthough if I was trying to do every available request.

I've always used the Dudleyville walkthrough for BG1 as it has a great printable check list.
    http://www.forgottenwars.com/bg1/index.htm

With BG2/ToB, I have the hard copy Prima game guide that I bought when BG2 was released which is pretty awesome.

@sandmanCCL
    If you think you can do a better job than Gamebanshee go for it. Wiki software is interesting in that it lets you easily link articles - however actual decent layout and content creation is remarkably dated given the lack of a rich text or even WYSIWIG editor (to think that I designed entire websites with just a no syntax highlighting Notepad is plain crazy to me 14 years later). It is going to take a metric ton of gametime to write strats for every encounter. You may want to consider narrated videos and such to make your site stand out (at least that's what I would do).

@Metal_Hurlant
    I agree with your point about not playing the game with mods if he is going to make a guide. I love mods, I think they make the game better/allow me to customize it, and provide a fresh experience everytime I come back to the game. Having said that in order to build a wiki/guide correctly he'll need to essentially document the entire game mod-free, and then slowly add the mods he likes, play through it, document it, and then post the additional content to his guide with some kind of marking or flag to classify as mod XXX or YYY. That's an epic amount of work.
  • SpaceInvaderSpaceInvader Member Posts: 2,125
    Yes, GameBanshee covers almost everything, as you said. But playithardcore has REALLY usefull stat tables.
    I always looked at them before creating a new char :)
    The only mods we listed do not change gameplay terrifically much. If anything, you have to plan MORE for BGtutu than you would for BG1 Vanilla because of how weapon proficiencies work between BG1 and BG2. Still, fair criticism. Honestly I didn't think anyone outside of my internet circle even knew about our site til I saw someone else link a PIH page I recall working on. Made me feel pretty good to realize there's people who have stumbled across my little corner of the internet and found it useful.

We also used to have a lot more stuff on there but were hit with a hacker and had to roll back the entire website. We lost my entire completely comprehensive PIH guide to Final Fantasy Tactics, for example. It's why there is only like a single map page any more. Recreating it takes time and effort, something I have had in short supply since me and my friends started this back in 2007.

I figure when BG:EE comes out, the BG Wikia will take off simply because it's still the first thing that pops up when googling for a BG wiki. I realize it's an uphill battle and purely for something that is a passion. (We don't have any advertising. It's all hosted on soulmata's expense.)

It's still something I care about, and figured their might be some like minded individuals. If you think it's a waste of time, don't participate! No one is forcing you to, obviously. We'd love to have input and help from you or anyone, though. If you find any part of what we've got useful, feel free to share it.
    @sandmanCCL
    Well if you are already #1 on Google rankings for "BG Wiki" then you might as well keep building on that. +1 to your efforts for not making another ad-infested hell hole of site (god I hate ads, I never put them on any site that I build).