Skip to content

Ranger/Cleric and BG2 engine

RamzaRamza Member Posts: 112
So I just suddenly realized something about the original IWD.

Ranger/Cleric multiclasses don't get access to all druid spells just for having a few levels in Ranger. If you only had level 1 ranger spells, when you dual to cleric, you still only have level 1 druid spells, after you get your ranger levels back, of course.

Is this something that is going to be changed with the introduction of the BG2 engine? As everyone probably already knows, in BG2, a multiclassed ranger/cleric will have access to all druid spells after his cleric levels surpass his ranger ones.
JuliusBorisovRAM021jackjack

Comments

• KamigoroshiKamigoroshi Member Posts: 5,870
    edited September 2014
    I'd like to know this as well, but for the opposite reason. I never played an Ranger/Cleric build in BG2 since I felt their divine spell progression was nothing but an giant exploit. I really hope this will be fixed for good in IWD:EE.

As a side note, I'm also interested in whenever this newest EE will finally support the Ranger/Druid multiclass for Half-Elves. Or the Druid/Mage multiclass for that matter.
    The_New_RomanceRAM021jackjack
  • RamzaRamza Member Posts: 112
    Actually, I wasn't wondering for any particular reason. I'd never played a ranger/cleric in BG or IWD before, and hadn't even considered it as a class option before reading on these forums that the ranger/cleric had full druid spells.

I then proceeded to try it out in my next play through of IWD, and when my ranger got to level 9, I dual classed to cleric, only to find that when I got my ranger levels back, I only had access to 1st level druid spells in addition to the normal cleric spells.

This was in the heat of the debates over whether that was a bug in the bg2 engine or not, with many people claiming that this was an unfixable engine bug that had to be left in. However, the fact that IWD did not have this, and was made in between BG1 and BG2 shows that either it was a bug introduced in BG2, or a deliberate 'feature' added in. In the original BG, it was impossible to get ranger high enough to gain spells, so as far as I know, it was impossible for a ranger/cleric to have access to both.

I am actually of the mind that I'd prefer if the ranger/cleric had its IWD spell progression, only allowing the druid spells that the ranger actually had access to seems like it was intended.
    Kamigoroshi
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    edited September 2014
    Ramza said:

As everyone probably already knows, in BG2, a multiclassed ranger/cleric will have access to all druid spells after his cleric levels surpass his ranger ones.

I think you mean a dual classed ranger/cleric. In BG2 a multi-class cleric/ranger starts getting access to druid spells at level 1.

To answer your question spell progression hasn't changed in the game compared to IWD, to the best of my knowledge that includes Cleric/Rangers (and I say this knowing that these links don't entirely prove my point you'll just have to take my word on it).

http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/comment/538596/#Comment_538596

http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/comment/538620/#Comment_538620
    KamigoroshiRamzaJuliusBorisovjackjack
  • RamzaRamza Member Posts: 112
    elminster said:

Ramza said:

As everyone probably already knows, in BG2, a multiclassed ranger/cleric will have access to all druid spells after his cleric levels surpass his ranger ones.

I think you mean a dual classed ranger/cleric. In BG2 a multi-class cleric/ranger starts getting access to druid spells at level 1.
    I did mean that. It was implied with the cleric levels surpassing ranger levels thing. Also, I was not aware that a multi-class range/cleric got druid spells starting at level 1. That's even more broken IMO.
    elminster said:

To answer your question spell progression hasn't changed in the game compared to IWD, to the best of my knowledge that includes Cleric/Rangers (and I say this knowing that these links don't entirely prove my point you'll just have to take my word on it).

http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/comment/538596/#Comment_538596

http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/comment/538620/#Comment_538620

I sure hope so :)
  • ThelsThels Member Posts: 1,416
    I can tell you it's certainly not meant to be like that in the table-top version. Obviously, the infinity games move away from the table-top version left and right.
    Jarrakul
  • JarrakulJarrakul Member Posts: 2,029
    Agreed, @Thels. In the pnp game, you'd just have two spell lists, one for cleric and one for ranger, each with their own spells per day, caster level, etc. IE didn't support two spell lists of the same type (priest or wizard), so it merged them. Sometimes oddly. As someone who's played a ranger/cleric dual in IWD, I for one am glad the devs are going with the original IWD interpretation. I don't really want to feel even cheezier than dual-classing already makes me feel.