Skip to content

Favorite/Unorthodox Battle Strategies?

I particularly love teleport field+incendiary cloud or cloudkill for large groups of melee enemies.
Blackraven

Comments

• DreadKhanDreadKhan Member Posts: 3,857
    Xan in melee... Not with the Moonblade! Everyone knows thats stupid! I send him with a Dagger +1 instead.
    elminsterGoturalmeagloth
  • TolbenTolben Member Posts: 26
    edited September 2014
    It's not really a battle strategy, but one time I gave Valygar the special sword that Arkanis Gath uses and he went around one shotting everything, it was ridiculous. Some time before that, I gave Viconia the fist weapon that Bodhi uses, so she would level drain enemies for something like 6 levels every hit. It was completely insane, and so much fun.
  • BlackravenBlackraven Member Posts: 3,486
    My battle strategies are generally pretty orthodox: 'hit/stab them till they fall'. Has to do with the fact that I don't play casters very often. One of the few tricks I picked up through the years, I think I mentioned this before in another thread, was to combine Protection from Magical Weapons + Improved Invisibility + Spell Immunity: Divination, so that neither warriors nor mages can hurt you. I'm a very defensive player (when playing no-reload). I guess that this isn't an unorthodox strategy (it was once for me), but it's still a favorite.
    Gotural
  • GoturalGotural Member Posts: 1,229
    I love playing arcane casters and my favorite strategy is generally Web x 4 then bombard the place with mass Cloudkill + Skull Traps
    Blackraven
  • Abi_DalzimAbi_Dalzim Member Posts: 1,428
    Spell Immunity: Divination + Mislead, for cheese to the max!

When fighting spellcasters, I like using either a monk or an archer and having them run away to hide in shadows to cause the mage's spells to fizzle out, then stepping back into range, waiting for their protection spells to wear off (only four rounds), then wailing on them. Not terribly sophisticated, but hide in shadows is a powerful tool and I don't think it gets enough love for non-thief classes.
    Blackraven
  • DreadKhanDreadKhan Member Posts: 3,857
    Try using Command, the cleric spell to intertupt enemy casters. And mash them while they nap!

Use Larloch's Minor Drain to damage casters right when they start casting. Very powerful shutdown.
    Blackraven
  • KamigoroshiKamigoroshi Member Posts: 5,870
    I have to wonder... does dropping your weapon and run for your life count as unorthodox battle strategy?
    meagloth
  • ryuken87ryuken87 Member Posts: 563
    Someone posted here before about pickpocketing certain enemies before they go hostile e.g. Maevar. I thought that was pretty cool.

Using the cleric spell Magic Resistance to actually lower the MR of enemies, dunno if that still works in the EEs. Then there's the Protection from Magic scroll on an enemy caster, a classic.
    Blackraven
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    edited September 2014
    During evil playthroughs I like to use Algernon's and the Nymph's cloak to charm a few commoners to follow me around in chapter 7 of BGEE when I'm outside in the city areas. I could just avoid the guard "patrols", but I always felt like the irony of flaming fist cutting down commoners in broad daylight, in order to get to little old me, was too big of an irony to pass up. Not every commoner will do of course, they have to be "walkers" (commoners who typically would otherwise randomwalk around).
    Abi_DalzimBlackraven
  • meaglothmeagloth Member Posts: 3,806
    Time stop + x3 horrid wilting + x5 skull trap + x3 symbol: death + x5 fireball + wail of the banshee + 3x comet

For kobolds at the Firewine.

:P
    Gotural
  • YgramulYgramul Member Posts: 1,059

My battle strategies are generally pretty orthodox: 'hit/stab them till they fall'. Has to do with the fact that I don't play casters very often. One of the few tricks I picked up through the years, I think I mentioned this before in another thread, was to combine Protection from Magical Weapons + Improved Invisibility + Spell Immunity: Divination, so that neither warriors nor mages can hurt you. I'm a very defensive player (when playing no-reload). I guess that this isn't an unorthodox strategy (it was once for me), but it's still a favorite.

I think SCS mages can go around this.

This is also the reason that IWDEE is probably broken now that there are BG2 spells in it, without SCS AI.