Skip to content

Neutral Evil Mage\Thief RP Playthrough

Hi everyone!

I've been playing Baldur's Gate for a long, long time now. I recently stumbled across the playthrough and challenges forum here, which has inspired me to try an RP playthrough of my own. I've never done this before, so bear with me! Here is my character -

I actually rolled a 92 after about a dozen tries or so, but I also used Shadowkeeper to edit a couple things. First, I took a point from strength and added it to intellect - I really wanted to shine in terms of dexterity, charisma, and intellect. I figure it fits for a young Elf Mage\Thief to be quick, smart, and good-looking, though not particularly strong, or wise. I also changed his paper doll to the elf mage model. Finally, I added +1 memorization for level 1 spells. I made these tweaks simply from an RP perspective, and to make it that much more fun to immerse myself in this character.

Here is his biography -

I tried to really highlight his strengths while also talking to the fact that he was evil. I also wanted it to fit somewhat with the story (not knowing his heritage, etc).

I plan to update the in game journal and post frequently about his adventures! I have no preset plan as to what party I will run with, and I'm only going to allow myself to explore and do things that actually fit with what the character would do in a given situation. Oh, I'm also playing on the hardest difficulty, but have no restriction on the number of reloads from deaths. I won't be reloading for less than optimal dialogue choices though. Hopefully others will get at least a fraction of the enjoyment from reading about Saeros, as I get from playing him.

Comments

• ga_jga_j Member Posts: 24
    I'm at the end of the prologue - not much to report really. Saeros complied with helping some of the residents of Candlekeep with their quests, all the while pickpocketing and looting their valueables where ever he could get away with it. Perhaps the funniest part was when he spoke to a noble upstairs in the inn - Saeros asked him who he was - and the nobleman totally overreacted and made a big stink about his introduction... so Saeros stealthed up behind him and backstabbed him with his bare fists, knocking him unconscious, before stealing his ring and gold.

His journal prior to speaking with Gorion -

• BlackravenBlackraven Member Posts: 3,486
    Nice! Welcome to the forums, and thanks for sharing your adventure with us. I'll be following your thread. Good luck!
    Thanks @Blackraven‌

So last we left our evil little elf he was ready to leave Candlekeep with Gorion. Well, unfortunately we all know how that goes. Here's Saeros' journal from the fall out -

He allowed Imoen to accompany him knowing she would not be allowed back into Candlekeep, and honestly just preferring not to be alone at the time. They made their way to the Friendly Arm Inn and met up with Khalid and Jaheira -

Saeros recovered fairly quickly from the events on the road and began sneaking around true to his cunning opportunistic self. He picked the place as clean as he could, and also attempted to uncover any information around his pursuer, the letter he found on Gorion's body, or this E character.

The party actually stumbled across Viconia while looking for the ogre Unshey was talking about. They had gotten admittedly a little lost, but it was clearly to their advantage! Also, Saeros seems a little smitten with Viconia right from the start.

More to come - I plan to clean up the screenshots a little going forward so they are not huge and only really show what I'm focusing on, not the entire user interface. I'm also playing with how exactly I tell this story, in terms of what I actually write here in the post and what Saeros enters into his journal - hoping to sort of fuse the two and make the story that much more fluid. Hope you enjoy this latest installment!!

*Note* I had to make a couple edits to my earlier journals, specifically around the note on Gorion's body - hence the reason Khalid, Jaheria, and Viconia are already in party. Doh!
  • DreadKhanDreadKhan Member Posts: 3,857
    Good so far. Total prettyboy though! ;)
    lol - totally is. I figured it made sense being an elf with their natural good looks, plus I like the idea of manipulating people to do my evil bidding, because I'm not an in your face evil - more a smart evil, behind the scenes, no blood on my hands kind of style. :)
  • DreadKhanDreadKhan Member Posts: 3,857
    Well, the nobleman might have bled a bit... ;)
    So last we left our adventurers they were leaving the Friendly Arm Inn, destined for Beregost.

imageimage

imageimage

Slight typo in the last part of the journal, fixed in game, but too tired to run back and grab another image. Now we wait for nightfall!
    Soooooo I dunno if there are any rules against this, but having had time to reflect over this playthrough I feel I have sort of fallen back into my habitual choices. Part of the reason I wanted to be evil was to do evil things, but looking back this playthrough has not quite fit the bill...

I think I want to take it from the top before I get too far in, lol. Not sure if it will be the same character, but with a more indepth back story and progression, or someone totally new...

Unless I would be violating something somewhere, I think I will start anew once I have really had time to develope where I want this to go. It'll get easier after I get past the mines because I haven't really taken too many characters from there on... and I have only played through BGII once, so I really think it'll come into it's own then!