Skip to content

Attack rolls (when turning on Feedback) explanation

So,

I am new here but, i started to play Baldur's in last century :), so we can say i am kind of veteran. Like many of us i am also trying to find something no one else ever did in this game. And i did, but it s not under this tread, its regarding ghost of Ulcaster.

anyway, explanation. Long time ago a warrior named Slavo asked about attack rolls, and he did nice question, x + y = z, what is Y.
Y are numerous bonuses and penalties that your char or npc have in head to head duel.
Lets say you started with lvl1 human fighter character, with only 1* in long sword and with 17str. with 1*, he has no bonus or penalties for hit, and with 17str he receive +1to hit. Your base THAC0 is 20.
You head your way to FAI but on the way there is gang of xvart. Today we know xvart have AC:5 with no modifiers.
So what roll u need to hit him? Answer is 14. your character will get famous y of +1 and will reach z=15 which is enough for AC:5
What if you picked an lvl1 elven figher with same stats? Well, he need to roll 13, because his y will be +2 (1 for 17str, one for elf long sword bonus)
Lets see more complicated case. You re good guy and your frontman is Ajantis. He is already lvl6, has his 17str, and "varscona" LS+2 in hand, and 1* on LS proficiency. He will have base thac0 of 15, and total of 12 (+1 for 17str, +2 from varscona). There is gang of bandits on the road and he rush towards them. Baam, 1swing and bandit is down. hmm.. how did Ajantis receive y=7, shouldn't it be 3? Answer is in fact that bandit receive +4 penalty because of wearing bow in close combat.
Anyway surrounded by bandit who switched to their LS now, Ajantis continues his fight with +3 y bonus. Bandits have poor AC:8 so it shouldn't be so hard to hit them. Ajantis needs only to roll x=4 to hit them. Why? Well, for level 1 character with base Thac0=20 you should get z=12 to hit AC:8. but his base thac0 is 15 so he need score of only 7!!!. Since he has +3y, he need to roll only 4.
And if Ajantis had +2 halberd for weapon with 1* proficiency he would need only 2 to roll for hit, because leather armor -2 piercing modifier which also is under y ( y would be +5 for him in that case), and miss is only available for him in case he roll x=1 which is guaranteed miss anyway.

I hope this helped to all those who want to make their own tables to minimize risk of getting hit, and had troubles with understanding this mehanics.

br, B