Skip to content

The Unseeing Eye

YupImMadBroYupImMadBro Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 347
I am trying to complete the "A Cult of the eyeless?" so I can continue with a different quest but I must have previously destroyed everyone in the Church of Helm, therefore I cannot talk to the priest. Is there another way I can advance in the quest?

Comments

• Sylvus_MoonbowSylvus_Moonbow Member Posts: 1,085
    Nope.
  • CrevsDaakCrevsDaak Member Posts: 7,155
    This is how the EE's quest break the old game's.
  • CaloNordCaloNord Member Posts: 1,809
    Can we not cheat my dear @CrevsDaak‌?
    CaloNord said:

Can we not cheat my dear @CrevsDaak‌?

@CaloNord‌ what are you talking about? I don't get the joke if there's any.
  • CaloNordCaloNord Member Posts: 1,809
    Hahaha! Console, could we not summon a fresh priest? If it's just the dialogue he needs?
    CaloNord said:

Hahaha! Console, could we not summon a fresh priest? If it's just the dialogue he needs?

Yeah, but anyway it's actually breaking the quest, unless you are a Priest of Good/Evil alignment.
  • DreadKhanDreadKhan Member Posts: 3,857
    You could fix this with Keeper too.
  • YupImMadBroYupImMadBro Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 347
    edited September 2014
    I will have to reload Keeper as I don't know how to console. Umm... does anymore know what quest flag, or marker, or whatever it's called will need to be changed?

EDIT: Nevermind, I do not feel like messing with Keeper so I guess I missed out on the Ring of Gaxx. Thanks everyone.
  • GallowglassGallowglass Member Posts: 3,356
    edited September 2014
    I'm not quite clear about what is going on here.

Are we talking about a sequence of events in which Dorn has killed Guardian Telwyn for his Helmite Camp quest (and in the process ended up slaughtering the whole Temple), but the party didn't first accept the invitation to go into the Temple to talk to High Watcher Oisig (and thereby failed to be given the Unseeing Eye quest)?

If so, ouch, yes, it's more than just the Ring of Gaxx you miss, you'll lose the Gauntlets of Dexterity as well, and the Heavy Crossbow of Accuracy, and a whole pile of assorted goodies. Arghh.

I've never been in that bad a fix in all these years, but if it happened then I'd seriously think about re-loading from earlier, before getting the instruction to interrogate Telwyn for the location of Terpfen, even if that means having to replay quite a lot ... in fact, if I didn't have a suitable save to hand, I might even re-start BG2 from scratch, because that's some of the best kit in the game you're missing out on.

The Unseeing Eye is the most important of all the early-game quests, I reckon you should always do it regardless of who your protagonist and team may be.

You have a point, @CrevsDaak‌ - if the Dorn quest is encouraging new-ish players (who may not know how important it is to get the Unseeing Eye quest) to make this horrible blunder, then that's potentially game-ruining and needs some adjustment. Perhaps some additional condition, so that Dorn's second task can't trigger until after the Unseeing Eye quest has been triggered.
  • moody_magemoody_mage Member Posts: 2,054
    Thanks! Was just about to go do Dorn's quest without having yet done the Unseeing Eye.
    @decado‌ - if Dorn's second quest has already triggered (i.e. he has told you that he wants to go to the Temple of Helm to question Telwyn), then you'll probably need to leave Dorn standing outside when the rest of the party goes in to be given the Unseeing Eye quest. (Otherwise, his interrogation of Telwyn might trigger before you've had a chance to get the Unseeing Eye quest, which would probably prevent it from happening.)
  • moody_magemoody_mage Member Posts: 2,054
    I'll be sure to have a few saves around that point in time to test the waters. Thanks for the heads up.
  • WebShamanWebShaman Member Posts: 490
    I don't see this really breaking anything - on the contrary, it adds to things because it makes sense.

I do understand the feeling of missing out on items and XP (and the whole quest itself).

But the quest itself has ways to close off parts of it inherent in its structure (I once just decided to kill everything immediately instead of sneaking into the cult and therefore I couldn't open the door to the other parts, etc - and missed out on some items), so it is not all that unusual.

Still, nice to know in advance.
    WebShaman said:

I don't see this really breaking anything

Neither do I, it's not actually game-breaking since it doesn't stop you from carrying on.

I deliberately said game-ruining because if you fall into this trap inadvertently and then realise how much you've missed, then you're likely to think you're really missing out badly from such an early stage in BG2 and are condemned to play a gimped game for the rest of the run ... and frankly, you are, since the Gauntlets of Dexterity and Ring of Gaxx are among the best items in the whole game, right through to the end of ToB. Of course you can still win without them, but it'll be harder, and many players would be kicking themselves and getting frustrated instead of enjoying the game.

It's not the same as your decision to slaughter the Cult at first sight, because that was your own choice and you very probably realised that this might mess up the quest. Likewise, you could wreck it even sooner by walking into the Temple and slaughtering everyone on sight instead of speaking to the priest ... but you'd know this was probably not the "intended behaviour" and might trash the plot. The issue with Dorn's quest is that it seems that it can mislead people into doing that without them realising that they might be trashing a significant chunk of plot, which is pretty unfair to the player.
  • YupImMadBroYupImMadBro Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 347
    It is because I chose to complete Dorn's quest before speaking with the church of Helm for the Unseeing Eye quest. I've already finished the Underdark in this play though so starting over is not much of a choice for this run. Unless I figure out how to console, I'm SOL.