Skip to content

Anybody solo'd the whole thing with a single classed thief?

All the way through the entire saga, i.e. BGEE + BG2EE?

I have never played a thief in the game at all (although, have employed their skills in the form of companions). I think this would make for a really challenging game.

Comments

• the_spyderthe_spyder Member Posts: 5,018
    Hey, if ya think it will be challenging (and fun. most importantly fun), try it. If it hasn't been done before, you will be a first. Let us know how it goes.
  • Sorvan76Sorvan76 Member Posts: 76

Hey, if ya think it will be challenging (and fun. most importantly fun), try it. If it hasn't been done before, you will be a first. Let us know how it goes.

Cake-walked BGEE with my Fighter/Cleric. Have taken the same character into BG2EE and managing with him fine so far. I'm gonna try complete the saga with my current character and then start all over again with a thief! Totally new play style for me, I'm into stealth in other games but never tried it in an RPG.

Any pointers would be appreciated - especially how to build the character as he levels up! :)
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    Are you playing as just a normal thief or as a thief that has a kit?
    elminster said:

I'm thinking just to be a 'vanilla' thief at the moment, as I'm not really sure of the long term implications of the kits - as I say, I don't usually play as a thief. I know the kits suit different styles of play - I was looking to get away from my 'buff+tank' style of play and go for a more subtle (but still lethal) type of character (if that makes sense). :)
  • BlackravenBlackraven Member Posts: 3,486
    Unkitted Thief would be a nice challenge, same for Shadowdancer without traps and with many foes seeing through invisibility in late SoA and ToB. I think Bounty Hunter and Swashbuckler would be the easiest.
    Like the_spyder I'd love to read about your progress once you start.
  • the_spyderthe_spyder Member Posts: 5,018
    What do people think about the rogue re-balancing mod for the OP? I've never used it so I don't know if it is any good or not or if it would help or hinder.

One thing I would suggest as a problem is that a lot of monsters in ToB are backstab resistant. Need to plan for that, although by that point you should have UAI so maybe it won't be that bad.
  • BlackravenBlackraven Member Posts: 3,486
    I use Rogue Rebalancing mainly for the changes it introduces to Bards.
    Iirc the Assassin's poison gets slightly nerfed. The Swashbuckler gains Thac0 progression as if he were a Fighter (which will help in the beginning of the game but becomes less important later on); they lose their damage bonuses though. The Bounty Hunter's traps too, get nerfed. Their special traps are replaced by alchemical traps against which a saving throw vs breath is allowed.

All in all the mod wouldn't make the game much easier I think. A component that allows Thieves to get 3* in dual wielding could be worthwhile though.
  • DreadKhanDreadKhan Member Posts: 3,857
    I loved playing seperately a Bounty Hunter to fighter and Assassin to fighter, both BG1. I decided after some consideration to use the Mercykiller ring with my Assassin, but I could have done fine without it... it saved a few potions, but I could buy out Sorcerous Sundries by the end... and I bought every magic dart I could. I relied on darts for the Assassin, backstabbing when possible and traps where feasible. Assassin and darts = dead enemies. That said, if you have the strength, daggers are great to use, throwing and melee.

The Bounty Hunter was PROFOUNDLY fun, as the special traps are ranged! :D I loved using a Bounty Hunter trap to draw in enemies... into more traps, naturally. Used backstabs a bit, but traps are killer fun.

Swashie really is a powerhouse in melee by later SoA. Might not take down a pure kensai easily, but he could dw speed weapons, so might kill the kensai anyways. Very good in ToB.
  • SouthpawSouthpaw Member Posts: 2,026

Done that with every single Thief kit, except for the ShadowDancer on Hard difficulty.
    With some scouting ahead and traps, everybody will be licking your shoes. You just have to be smart about it.
    Swashbuckler was the easiest. Assassin and Bounty Hunter close second, each one with their own flavour (more venom/more traps).
    edited September 2014
    Only difficulty I've had with the shadowdancer is getting the flaming fist guards and scout to move just far enough away so I can backstab the mage with the dagger of venom (without having to worry about the rest of them). :D

(but seriously fights really can't handle your invisibility in BGEE so the difficulty is really getting to the point where you have high stealth skills). I played as an elf so the extra dexterity point helped.
    edited September 2014
    Sorvan76 said:

elminster said:

I'm thinking just to be a 'vanilla' thief at the moment, as I'm not really sure of the long term implications of the kits - as I say, I don't usually play as a thief. I know the kits suit different styles of play - I was looking to get away from my 'buff+tank' style of play and go for a more subtle (but still lethal) type of character (if that makes sense). :)
    In short:
    Assassin - Ranged Thief+occasional melee for backstab. Thievery points are low, so either focus on stealth+backstab or (better in BG1) shortbow/darts + venoms and traps. You'll need to drag along another Thief just for the locks and traps.
    Bounty Hunter - Ranged Thief. Focus on traps + shortbow. occasionally backstab, but you will have enough points to invest into lockpicking and traps disarming (around 85% is usually enough)
    ShadowDancer - Melee Thief. hide in plain sight(stealth), backstab, lather, rinse, repeat. Needs a lot of micromanagement. No traps though and sucks as a Thief until you get the stealth skills high enough to actually do something in the battle.
    Swashbuckler - Melee Thief. Use as secondary melee fighter + utility thief or as scout. Traps help.

...vanilla - Ranged Thief. Use for utility + shortbow/darts. No melee, except occasional backstab+run...seriously, get a kit.
    Shadowdancer looks like it could be the one for me then. I don't mind micro-managing my character in battle, actually I do this most of the time anyway, and it would be the least of a big learning curve when it comes to soloing a thief for the first time. I'll roll my character this afternoon and post his/her stats when I'm done.

Any recommendations for weapon proficiencies would be appreciated! :)
    Long sword and quarterstaff are safe bets.
  • LateralusLateralus Member Posts: 903
    Southpaw said:

I'd leave the long swords to the warriors and quarter-staves to the druids and use a Dagger (of Venom) or a Short Sword.
    BGEE
    - Dagger of Venom is hands down the best weapon for a Thief in BGEE, especially as it lets you to also use throwing daggers with little proficiency points investment.
    - Short Sword +3 is the best +Thac0 Sword that you can get in BGEE, except for killing Drizzt. (And we need +Thac0)

in BG2EE:
    - Daggers are easy to get and a great magical throwing dagger +2 is attainable shortly after leaving Irenicus' dungeon. Plus there is a +3 throwing dagger on the way, +4 Dagger in the Underdark and a nice Thief-style dagger that ends with the +5 enchantment in ToB
    - Short Swords are similar. Easier to get better +X enchantments and fitting for a Thief.

My own reasons against quarter-staves: they do big damage, so they are best utilized when trying to min/maxing and creating a one-hit-kill Thief. ShadowDancer has a lower backstab multiplier, so it won't help as much and you will do more backstabs in a row, having higher chance to apply venom/special effects. Also, Thieves' Thac0 sucks when compared with a Fighters, so we need the highest +X enchantment we can get. Plus, try sneaking around with a 2m/6ft pole...

Quarterstaves big sticks, not easily concealed after a backstabbing attempt and not easy to use in confined spaces. Just an old dumb rule that goes against everything roguish. And good luck hiding in shadows with a 6 foot pole sticking out like a sore thumb.

Anyways, I'm thinking about taking 3 levels of illusionist and then going vanilla thief.
    When factoring in you +4 to hit bonus from stealth your thaco will likely be comparable to a fighter in bgee.

Daggers are an excellent choice as well but as southpaw suggests take them or short swords. I would not take them and short swords since that is redundant. At least not until bg2ee. They both do piercing damage after all.

Quarterstaffs are great because you can get a +3 in bgee and because crushing attacks are the most likely to hit and least likely to be resisted. It matters more when you are fighting heavily armoured opponents, jellies, and skeletons.
  • GoturalGotural Member Posts: 1,229
    And with the first point in two handed weapons style, you'll crit on 19-20 which is nice for a single class thief because your THAC0 won't be that good later on.
    @elminster - I'm fairly sure I did say "or". About the quarterstaff - yes, it's not bad, but I personally still don't like it and find the idea repulsing.
    @Gotural - the same with Single weapon fighting proficiency. And you get -1AC on top of it.
  • CrevsDaakCrevsDaak Member Posts: 7,155
    I solo'd an Assassin and a Swashbuckler (whom never did a BG2 run) back in my iPad-only BGEE days, and then used that character to play in my BG2:ToB. I found pretty difficult to pass the Ascension final battle, but I managed all of the game fine (I used more traps even more that what you can imagine…).
    I'd rather get the Single Weapon proficiency for the nice -1 to AC + better criticals. However, it's your game and your character, do however you desire.
    BTW - you will get only 4 proficiency pips till level 10. Use them well.
    Southpaw said:

I'd rather get the Single Weapon proficiency for the nice -1 to AC + better criticals. However, it's your game and your character, do however you desire.
    BTW - you will get only 4 proficiency pips till level 10. Use them well.

Yeah, I never thought of that - should maybe have done that, but I'll see how it goes with the bow for now. Also, I should have taken 1 point off Constitution (to make 16) and put it into Charisma (to make 18).
    Things aren't working out too great for my thief. I've piled all 1st & 2nd level points into HiS and MS, but it's a hit-and-miss affair during combat, end up seldom able to stealth successfully (therefore backstab as much as should be able to) and getting creamed in toe-toe melee. I've been killed 3 times already - I'm at the Nashkel mines at the moment. :(
  • FinneousPJFinneousPJ Member Posts: 6,455
    You're only second level. You can't expect a second level thief to be able to perform miracles.
    edited September 2014
    Did you do things like rescue Melicamp? The experience that quest grants alone would likely be enough to push you to the next level.

Make sure you do all the quests around beregost, or as many as possible. You are an unusually low level given that you are soloing (and especially given that you are soloing as a single class thief).
    elminster said:

Did you do things like rescue Melicamp? The experience that quest grants alone would likely be enough to push you to the next level.

Make sure you do all the quests around beregost, or as many as possible. You are an unusually low level given that you are soloing (and especially given that you are soloing as a single class thief).

To be fair, my first 'death' was when I tried (out of alignment, and experimentally) to kill Firebeard in the tavern. Second death was the Ogre with the girdles. I'm probably rushing things too much, seems life as a successful thief is going to be more of a challenge than I thought. That's not to say single class thieves are lacking in any way - I need to moderate my approach with him and learn how to play to his strengths.
  • DreadKhanDreadKhan Member Posts: 3,857
    @Sorvan76‌ do you have the Worn Whisper boots and Shadow armour? Also, hiding in bright light is hard. I wouldnt rely on HiPS early on... a single BS is good, but if you have a ranged weapon to use after, try kiting a bit. You arent immune to crits, which is a brutal weakness for going toe to toe, so don't until you have enough HP to take two crits in short succession, ie ~40 hp. Ioun stones would have been totally boss in BGEE, even very weak ones.