Skip to content

Powergaming Party (playing the right way) BGEE/BG2EE (spoilers)

KloroxKlorox Member Posts: 894
There's a very informative thread below about making killer characters and how to produce the most effective party possible. As in any thread like this, there will never be complete agreement on "the best" party possible, but I am interested in what you guys all think.

The caveat here is I'd like to see what you think the best party is in BG1 and BG2 (EE), but playing the game "the right way"

By this, I mean, one protagonist/charname, and (up to) 5 official NPCs in each game. For instance, many people think a Kensai > Mage dual is the best protagonist possible, but who do you surround him with?

Please also include what weapons the characters will be using.

Let the powergaming begin! :P

Edit: since this is a thread determined to be played without mods, the characters all need to get by without killing each other (unless that's part of a funky strategy of yours!). No Keldorn and Viconia, for instance.
Post edited by Klorox on

Comments

• GoodSteveGoodSteve Member Posts: 607
    Hmm, interesting.

I would suggest either a Kensai -> Mage Dual Class or Sorcerer for the protagonist. If Kensai/Mage I'd use Two Weapon Fighting and Warhammers, then Scimitars, then Flails. There are some good Warhammer's in both BG1 and BG2, aswell as a good Scimitar late in BG1 (unless you kill a certain ranger) and some good ones that even add extra attacks in BG2, Flails later on to get the Flail of Ages (one of my favorite weapons.)

In BG1For NPC's I'd include...

1. Baeloth - Best Spellcaster in the first game.
    2. Edwin - Second best spellcaster in the first game.
    3. Yeslick - Great class combo, great stats (with the guantlets of dex), fills the healer role while also being able to kick butt. Shorty saves are icing on the cake. Depending on what weapons you have Charname using, Warhammers and Maces are good choices for Yeslick. Depending on when you get him either use sword and shield or two-weapon fighting. The Stupifier is particularly good on him and the stun even works on Sarevok (he goes down like a chump when he can't do anything :P)
    4. Montaron or Coran - single class thieve's aren't so great but you will need thief skills to make your life easier, so anything/thief is the way to go. I'm fond of Montaron myself, he has a higher strength score, so actually gets melee combat bonuses unlike Coran, meaning he can fight on the frontlines and he deals more damage with a backstab, he is great with a sling and will typically deal more damage since he adds his strength bonus than most ranged fighters per shot, he is also a halfling so gets an extra +1 to his Thac0 with slings. Add on some shorty saves for good measure and he is a very good member of the team. Coran is also a good addition, he's one of the best archers in the game because he gets an illegal pip in Longbows beyond what a normal fighter/thief can achieve. He's better at range than Montaron so, depending on what style of combat you want your thief to use, pick whichever you like. Coran has the slight edge on ranged but montaron is better in melee and backstabbing.
    5. Dorn - Dorn is a lawnmower of death in BG1 but is quickly outshone by other fighter types in BG2. Give him a big ass sword and let him go to work. I'm fond of Spider's Bane over the +3 Two-Handed Sword from Durlag's Tower. Free action, coupled with the Blackguards normal immunities makes Dorn an unstoppable force.

BG2 NPC's...

1. Edwin - Best spellcaster in the game.
    2. Jan Jansen - you'll need thief abilities and Hexxat suffers from being a single class thief. Thief/Illusionist is an awesome class combo and Jan gets some extra tricks and gear which are handy for a while. I feel he outshines Imoen since he can reliably deal with any trap or lock without using potions and gets both mage and thief HLA's.
    3. Keldorn - Inquisitor is a good class, you'll want one. Guantlets of Dex are a must on Keldorn. Use Carsomyr... no one else can. Later on Silver Sword is also a good option.
    4. Anomen - Viconia and Keldorn don't get along, but you'll need some divine loving, that's where Anomen steps in. Once you finish his questline (the good way) his stats get so much better and he is almost the perfect warrior. With 18/52 Str, 16 Con and eventually 18 Wis with a class like Fighter -> Cleric dual he is a bit of a powerhouse. Only thing lacking is his dex and unfortunately Keldorn is a better choice for the Guantlets of Dex. Depending on what weapons Charname uses Flails, Warhammers and Maces are good choices for Anomen. Mace of Disruption will especially make all the Vampire encounters a cakewalk, sadly there aren't that many good all-comers maces for other baddies.
    5. Haer'Dalis - I'm not overly fond of Haer'Dalis but the Blade class is pretty darn good. Haer'Dalis can fill many roles, from tanking, dealing damage, or being a pretty decent mage. He's a good addition since he can fill whatever role needs to be filled depending on the encounter.
  • KloroxKlorox Member Posts: 894
    Thank you, GoodSteve.

I like the way you think, but I must admit: the reputation balancing game would scare me a bit (but it's definitely doable).

Good job!
  • JLeeJLee Member Posts: 650
    I don't think I can improve on GoodSteve's choices, but here is another route that would work.

Charname: Ranger/Cleric

BG1:
    Coran
    Kivan
    Imoen: Dual her at level 4-5 to mage

BG1 is easier with fewer characters to divide the XP. Kivan and Coran are devastating with longbows. Imoen provides mage support and short bow. Charname wades in with a ridiculous AC and the others sit back and fire away.

BG2:
    Korgan
    Keldorn
    Valygar
    Jan
    Nalia

This gives you a hard hitting group with plenty of mage support. The reputation conundrum is easily solved halfway through SoA. Korgan and Keldorn are terrific frontliners. Valygar is an ideal candidate for Celestial Fury backstabbing goodness. Charname handles every divine spell and is a great tank. You have two dual wielders for the speed weapons and charname is a perfect fit for FoA and DoE. I have not played such a party but wouldn't foresee too many difficulties.
    Sadly, Korgan doesn't get along with Keldorn and the two will eventually duke it out. My money is on Korgan...
    GoodSteve said:

Sadly, Korgan doesn't get along with Keldorn and the two will eventually duke it out. My money is on Korgan...

I didnt realize that myself!

Maybe sub in Minsc for Korgan? Heck, with a strength-enhancing itemc Mazzy is a wonderful tank (and comes with Short Sword proficiency, which is nice with Kundane).
    Minsc really isn't all that good though, Dorn would be better really. Minsc gets a few decent spells (armor of faith) but Dorns poison, life steal and aura of despair abilities are better in the long run... however I don't think Keldorn and Dorn get along either, although I'm not entirely sure about that one.

Strangely enough, Sarevok gets along with Keldorn so he might be your best bet come ToB. Until then Haer'Dalis is a better choice.

I'd also swap Nalia for Imoen in that group. Nalia is basically a crappier version of Imoen and really only there as a stand in until you get Imoen back.
  • JLeeJLee Member Posts: 650
    edited September 2014
    Keldorn and Korgan do not fight, ime. They actually have a mutual admiration dialog at one point. I have played with them together many times and they have never fought. Maybe I got lucky?

With Jan handling the thieving (much better than Immy or Nalia), Nalia is a much better choice for party mage, imo. She will always have more levels than Imoen. I also like her other bonuses from her ring. Anyway, to each their own.
    JLee said:

Keldorn and Korgan do not fight, ime. They actually have a mutual admiration dialog at one point. I have played with them together many times and they have never fought. Maybe I got lucky?

Hmm, I do recall that banter but I also seem to recall them duking it out at one point... perhaps I am mistaken. Seems odd though since one is Lawful Good and the other is Chaotic Evil...
    edited September 2014
    GoodSteve said:

Minsc really isn't all that good though, Dorn would be better really. Minsc gets a few decent spells (armor of faith) but Dorns poison, life steal and aura of despair abilities are better in the long run... however I don't think Keldorn and Dorn get along either, although I'm not entirely sure about that one.

Strangely enough, Sarevok gets along with Keldorn so he might be your best bet come ToB. Until then Haer'Dalis is a better choice.

I'd also swap Nalia for Imoen in that group. Nalia is basically a crappier version of Imoen and really only there as a stand in until you get Imoen back.

I only suggested Minsc because he starts with ** in TWF.

If Korgan can work with Keldorn, Keldorn is definitely a better option.
    Let me begin by saying I like warriors, a lot. I think they're the most powerful bunch, and I'll take steel over the arcane any day of the week. I also restrict myself, in BG1 to good and neutral alignments, because I really dislike doing a random evil act to keep my party together. My protagonist isn't the most powerful possible (although she's great!), but she's been chosen so the rest of the party can use the best stuff in both games.

Here's what I've come up with:

BG1: I've listed the missile weapon first, because it's just so darn effective in BG1.

1) Female Cleric/Ranger multiclass protagonist. Uses Sling +1 & Stupefier. Builds proficiencies towards Flail for use in BG2.

2) Imoen. Dual to Mage at level 4. Eagle Bow & Quarterstaff +3. Able to handle all the locks and traps in the game and still activate abilities pretty quick.

3) Kivan. Composite Long Bow +1 & Halberd +2. Pretty straightforward.

4) Coran. Long Bow of Marksmanship & Varscona. Needs to cover Thieving when Imoens skills aren't active. Great backstabber with a STR enhancing item.

5) Yeslick. Sling +3 & Ashideena. He's here because he's a Dwarven warrior. The extra healing is just a bonus. He greatly benefits from that STR boosting/INT lowering belt and Gauntlets of DEX.

6) Minsc. Light Crossbow of Speed & Spiders Bane. I had to get these items used, and Minsc is the best candidate because he's already got the sword skills worked out. He can use any longbow before getting the above crossbow, but near the endgame, there is some awesome ammunition that would go to waste if not for this weapon.

BG2: missile weapons take a backseat for much of this game. Melee is where it's at.

I take 5 permanent team members, subbing in anybody who has a "personal quest" (more loot and XP this way)

The reason for my character being Female is because I want to take Jaheira for a short time, but have no interest in romancing her, or anybody else. I just want that Ring of Wizardry ASAP.

1) Female Cleric/Ranger. Flail of Ages & Defender of Easthaven.

2) Imoen. Gesen Bow/Staff of the Magi. I like using Jan until you can get her back (but bring Yoshimo on the boat with you!) Imoen is my only arcane spell slinger.

3) Keldorn. Carsomyr. Slap some STR boosting stuff on him, as well as the Gauntlets of DEX. This guy ensures that the lack of Mages on this team isn't too much a hindrance.

4) Korgan. Axe of the Unyielding & Belm. Extra attacks with a weapon that offers a chance at an instant kill is really sweet.

5) Mazzy. Crom Faeyr & Kundane. I know this is a surprise pick, but when she comes into her own, she's just awesome. Shorty saves, natural 18 DEX. You have a choice: pick her up at level 8, with * in Short Sword (legal), or level 9 she has *** in Short Sword. If you pick her up at 8, she can dual wield well at level 18 (** Two Weapon Fighting, ** Hammer). If you pick Mazzy up at level 9, she will end up withy optimal proficiencies a little faster in the end (***** Hammer, ***** Short Sword *** Two Weapon Fighting), but you won't get a glimpse of her true power until 3 levels earlier.

6) Valygar for SoA. Celestial Fury/whatever. After you've done all the NPC sidequests, Valygar is a nice addition to the team. He can backstab.

6a) Sarevok in ToB. Ravager. Instant kills are sweet, but nobody will last long against him anyway.

Notes: part of me wants to make the character a dual class Ranger 9 > Cleric (we have Yeslick in BG1 for healing), or revamping the parties to include Jaheira in both and make the protagonist a Berserker 9 > Cleric.

If I dual R>C, I can switch around some proficiencies, even giving this character a better missile weapon (the returning Axe, for example), because with only ** maximum, I'll have so many points to spread around.

If I dual Bers>C, I will probably end up with a slightly better endgame character, (***** in Flails), but my BG1 proficiencies won't be as good, and Jaheira would be in both parties (I like Druid spells a lot), which would mean she's building towards using Belm in her offhand and Dagger of the Star in her main hand. It also means I'd have to drop Mazzy from my plans.

I think multiclass is probably the most beneficial to the overall party, but I will balance things out. The Berserker's Rage ability is a real boon for all the immunities it grants.
  • FinneousPJFinneousPJ Member Posts: 6,455
    @Klorox The dual classes would lose fighter HLAs, so they're probably worse end game.
  • abacusabacus Member Posts: 1,307
    edited September 2014
    For SoA:
    Charname (Sorcerer)
    Imoen (Thief7>Mage)
    Jan (Illusionist/Thief)
    Nalia (Thief3>Mage)
    Neera (Wild Mage)
    Aerie (Cleric/Mage)

Jan toddles around as Invisible Scout, espies danger and reports back... 6 simultaneous Webs are flung into the Fog of War, followed by 6 simultaneous Skull Traps/ADHWs (just Fireballs from Jan).... Mwahahaha
  • booinyoureyesbooinyoureyes Member Posts: 6,164
    GoodSteve said:

@GoodSteve‌ you are actually wrong about that, they actually get along quite well. The two you DO have in your party don't: Keldorn and Edwin. They will come to blows (meaning Keldorn kills Edwin)