Skip to content

Destiny

WigglesWiggles Member Posts: 571
So Activision/Bungie spent approximately $500 million USD on their new game Destiny. I'm sure most of us here have at least heard of it. Judging from game critic sites here this game is generally receiving 60%'s and I'm wondering if any of you fellow forum-mates enjoy the game.

Comments

• CahirCahir Member, Moderator, Translator (NDA) Posts: 2,819
    If Beamdog had 500 million bucks for BG(2)EE there will be whole Faerun implemented:D Finally I could play as a War Wizard of Cormyr for example:)

My point is that money would be spent well:) As for FPS, for me this genre ended with Blood:D
  • NonnahswriterNonnahswriter Member Posts: 2,520
    Really? It scored that low? For 500 million, I expected better. :/
  • meaglothmeagloth Member Posts: 3,806

Really? It scored that low? For 500 million, I expected better. :/

It's Ben a while since I heard anything good about a big-budget game, though I don't really follow that kind I of thing. The new cll of duty game was worse than the old one though.
    Most of that was probably spent on all the t.v. adds I keeps seeing anyway.
  • DreadKhanDreadKhan Member Posts: 3,857
    Budgets are a funny thing... I've heard theories that creativity tends to grow best out of insufficient resources; the lack of resources being made up for by more creativity. Its definately more complicated than that though, and some genres benefit FAR more than others. Obviously, strategy/tactical games benefit a lot, since no bells and whistles can overcome a crappy game. The problem strategy games run into too much filler, ie heaps of different options that are only marginally different, tactical games can get so bells-and-whistley that they become more watched than played, or the gameplay gets unnecessarily confusing. Chess is pretty close to the ideal of tactics, and its superficially exyremely simple. Making shiney pieces isnt going to really improve the game. Pokemon is a good example of a very simple strategy game... its pretty easy as a game, but PvP is pretty complex. I only played Red/Blue, and there was balance issues (Snorlax was impressively overpowered and easy to get 2 of) but you could be capable with many different overall strategies. Civ 1 is a good example of a more complex strategy game, MOO2 was a good example of a complex strategy and tactical game. Other than MOO2, not much budgets for these I would wager. Chess could be played on dirt with bits of wood if you wanted!

FPS are a genre that doesnt respond well to creativity... people are resistant to changes that arent small, which is while games like this get prettier and more superficially complicated (now grenades are sticky! And you can pistolwhip! Maybe jump? But not too high, and you need to fall slowly!), yet have few significant changes. So these games have gotten very pretty and often have creative settings, but overall, its not much different from Wolfenstein or Doom.

Platformers are probably the most rewarding to creativity. They can be 2d or 3d, jumping can be easy or brutally difficult, do you have ranged weapons? Long range melee weapons? Are there enemies? Etc!

Really creative games are pretty rare though, ones that make a new genre, like Lemmings. Not everyone likes Lemmings, but it was crazy creative.
  • ChildofBhaal599ChildofBhaal599 Member Posts: 1,781
    I'll try to sum up my feelings on my own experience

combat-it's satisfying. nothing really new, but it doesn't get it wrong. it is certainly more skill based than COD and good players will generally do good in PvP and you will know who the less skilled players are.

exploration- nothing special at all. I honestly get on my sparrow and just drive point to point and kill things when I get to that point. there isn't enough to see and do. I only really stop when a random event pops up, and they can be fun... unless I have no friends with me at the time and there is noone in the session with me as far as I could tell from the lack of nametags. in that case I can't solo these events.

classes- i like the classes in general. each class has their unique high jump, melee, armor, etc, and generally represent fantasy classes as fighter, rogue, and mage. they all have 2 sub classes which change up the special abilities and a few other things. i am a hunter with the second subclass (forget the name) and my specials consist of a teleporting melee and getting out a sword and turning the game into a hack and slash temporarily :)

leveling and equipment- this is a weird one. the cap is at level 20, so you are done leveling very quick. however, it managed to have longevity as at this point you need to start getting high level gear of high rarity. i mostly just had uncommons when i hit 20 but now I have rares with uncommon leg armor but I can still get so much better. i think they were more focused on creating an end game experience and that could be a good or a bad thing

PvP- i think their is just a lack of levels and it could use more creative game modes. my favorite is probably skirmish, a 3v3 TDM with revives allowed. surprising just adding revives and making them gives points turns TDM, a game I could normally win 1v6 on many games, into a team based game where you want to stick together and revive and stop enemy revivals. losing teammates in this game mode is disaster.

strikes/raids- I've only done strikes so far, but I'll say I love fighting the bosses. they have tons of health and hit hard while other minions sometimes spawn that you need to look out for. unfortunately though many of them are also based off a normal enemy with a few added attacks and more health/damage, so I hope some later bosses are a bit more special. they at least feel like a coop boss fight should in my opinion.

basically I think it's a pass that does everything good, but it is also quite average and doesn't do much different than games like this or within itself with the bosses. it is like halo and borderlands had a child and that child grew up to be an MMO. I like both of those games so I can like this, but it still isn't much new.
  • Night_WatchNight_Watch Member Posts: 514
    It seems like Destiny is the Avatar of first person shooters.
  • SchneidendSchneidend Member Posts: 3,190
    I've been having a really good time shooting and looting in Destiny. @ChildofBhaal599‌ is more or less spot-on that while it doesn't do anything particularly groundbreaking, it's definitely worth playing and a lot of fun. Multiplayer with friends is a blast.