Skip to content

Assassins and guards

When you run into one of the assassins that attacks your party in an area that has guards around (i.e. Tarnesh at the FAI or Nimbul in Nashkel), the local guards will join in the fight and attack the assassin. However, I've noticed that if the assassin casts a "party-friendly" AoE spell like horror, it never affects the guards nearby, even if they are actively attacking him.

I mean, I'd absolutely love to see the town guards running around town in a panic or getting caught in a hold person spell. So, is the lack of effect on the locals intentional, or just a limitation of the game engine (unable to flag the guards as hostile toward the assassin?) Is this something that's been addressed in an existing mod?

On a related note, has anyone ever tried abusing this behavior, maybe going invisible after an assassin turns hostile to see if they'll just stand there and get pummeled by the local constabulary without defending themselves?

Comments

• DreadKhanDreadKhan Member Posts: 3,857
    It can be a very good survival strat for solos to just let the guards kill the 2 mentioned assassins... well, bounty hunters technically. ;)
  • VakarianVakarian Member Posts: 94
    Figured I'd try the turning invisible trick on Tarnesh. It seems that he won't initiate combat with the guards, but he will attack any that attack him (physical attacks only, no spells). He was actually able to kill one of them (after the guard's weapon broke), but a second guard proved to be too much for him.

Seems like NPC on NPC combat follows very different scripts from NPC on PC encounters...
  • LateralusLateralus Member Posts: 903
    I got stabbed to death in front of Gorion, by Shank. He never lifted a finger to save me.

Gorion is a jerk.

I would like to see some evil NPCs help me kill Flaming Fist mercs! Silke..I'm looking at you.
  • DreadKhanDreadKhan Member Posts: 3,857
    The Watcher's will attack Shank iirc.