Skip to content

Importing into BG2:EE - Kits and Weapon Proficiencies

I played BG and BG2 a long time ago, and recently decided to replay the whole Bhaalspawn saga with the enhanced editions. I remember that, on importing from BG to BG2, you kept your stats, but because of the new kits and the changes to weapon proficiencies, you got to respec your character. Well, when I loaded up BG:EE, I noticed that all the kits are now available, and the weapon proficiency system has been changed to match BG2. Seems to me that there's no more need to allow a player to respec.

I want to make sure of this before I start a game, though, because I don't want to screw myself over in BG:EE by planning ahead for BG2:EE. Say I decide to play a human Kensai / Mage through the saga. If I can respec at the beginning of BG2:EE, I might decide to dual-class partway through BG:EE (or even play a fighter); if I can't, it might be better to play a straight Kensai until BG2:EE. Knowing this in advance would also help me make sure that I don't screw myself over when choosing weapon proficiencies, as I understand there aren't many katanas and scimitars in BG:EE.

I know I can just start a new character in BG2:EE, because my story choices won't carry over, but I want to gain the benefit of those Tomes. I could always get a saved game editor but I'd rather not have to do that.

Comments

•  TheArtisan TheArtisan Member Posts: 3,277
    edited September 2014
    Nope, respec isn't a thing anymore, seeing it's not mechanically necessary - everything you do with your PC sticks from one game to the other.

There aren't any good katanas in BG1, but there are scimitars - two, one was added by EE, so even if you're dual-wielding that's an acceptable option.
  • GoldenSkullGoldenSkull Member Posts: 2
    Thanks for the info. Bummer, as I was hoping I could mix & match a bit. This is probably better for RP though.