Skip to content

Any chance of a Planescape: Torment rerelease?

ZacZac Member Posts: 5
I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this, but I didn't see a better section of the forum. I'm pretty excited about the Baldur's Gate iPad releases, and I was wondering if there were any plans to rework any other infinity engine games, particularly Planescape: Torment. The final release (post-patch) was quite a bit buggier than BG2, but nothing released since it has surpassed that level of storytelling.

Comments

• BjjorickBjjorick Member Posts: 1,208
    well, after trolling through the forums, i can tell you a few points that pop up in mind.

Orginally, Trent said that was one of the games he wanted to do. It does depend on BG 1 and 2 EE selling well, but they seem commited at this point to the ipad and getting the game out there on all possible venues where it would be profitable.

There was a post about the PS:T source code being lost, but trent jumped in on the topic and said, basically, 'that's funny, i have a zip file on my computer here that has all the source material for PS:T.' This to me suggests that he's already taken the initial steps towards the future, in which PS:T EE will be made.

Finally, and this is just opinion/theory on my part and should in no way be taken with the above two posts, i personally feel that the BG:EE preorder may have been to add extra revenue to BG:EE project. Kinda like a shot in the arm until release. Beamdog isn't a huge company and it seems as though Trent has alot of his resources tied up in this company and project. The best way to help to make sure this is possible is to make sure that you buy this game for what it is, enjoy it, and trust the company to use your money to make more games that you enjoy.

I do seem to recall trent made a comment about BG:EE project would possibly cause him to put off retirement, but it was made as a joke so there's no telling if he was trolling or if there was truth to the statement. But as the plan revealed to us now, will be BG:EE, then BG2:EE (most of the game is the same so better to focus on finishing it first before moving on), then PS:T EE. Details will surface probably in NOV or Jan after they know how well the game has been selling.

Sorry for wall of text :)
  • JediMindTrixJediMindTrix Member Posts: 305
    He also made a comment on his twitter about working to 124 >:)>
  • ZacZac Member Posts: 5
    Bjjorick said:

well, after trolling through the forums, i can tell you a few points that pop up in mind.

Orginally, Trent said that was one of the games he wanted to do. It does depend on BG 1 and 2 EE selling well, but they seem commited at this point to the ipad and getting the game out there on all possible venues where it would be profitable.

There was a post about the PS:T source code being lost, but trent jumped in on the topic and said, basically, 'that's funny, i have a zip file on my computer here that has all the source material for PS:T.' This to me suggests that he's already taken the initial steps towards the future, in which PS:T EE will be made.

Finally, and this is just opinion/theory on my part and should in no way be taken with the above two posts, i personally feel that the BG:EE preorder may have been to add extra revenue to BG:EE project. Kinda like a shot in the arm until release. Beamdog isn't a huge company and it seems as though Trent has alot of his resources tied up in this company and project. The best way to help to make sure this is possible is to make sure that you buy this game for what it is, enjoy it, and trust the company to use your money to make more games that you enjoy.

I do seem to recall trent made a comment about BG:EE project would possibly cause him to put off retirement, but it was made as a joke so there's no telling if he was trolling or if there was truth to the statement. But as the plan revealed to us now, will be BG:EE, then BG2:EE (most of the game is the same so better to focus on finishing it first before moving on), then PS:T EE. Details will surface probably in NOV or Jan after they know how well the game has been selling.

Sorry for wall of text :)

Oh, don't get me wrong. I'm buying BGEE, all in-app purchases, and probably the Mac version (once iCloud syncing is working) the second it is released. I'll do my part to support future development.
  • XavioriaXavioria Member Posts: 874
    Same here you'll probably see me purchasing the DLC as well lol. Personally, I always thought that torment needed more npcs...
  • BjjorickBjjorick Member Posts: 1,208
    well, don't have ipad or mac, and my cell phone is about 10+ years old (i'm not into mobile gaming, laptops included) but will buy multiple copies of the pc version for various people......hopefully they'll play it but ehh, want to do my part :)
  • XavioriaXavioria Member Posts: 874
    I'm already buying it on pc, then on iPad for my boyfriend :)