Skip to content

I'm new and have questions

1. Two guys xzar and montaron entered my party and want to go somewhere way south. Is there a time limit on quests like this? Sometimes they complain since I haven't went there yet.

1a. The xzar guy has 4 health usually. Sometimes this changes in battle to being higher. Is he doing this himself with some spell or ability? Can I control when he does it?

2. Everywhere I go I just die. I went to beregost and they killed me outside the inn. I finally managed to kill them, then I went in the inn and another guy killed me. I try to go south to nashkel and these 3 bandit guys kill me. I went to friendly arm inn and a mage killed me. I can't seem to go anywhere successfully. Is this a sign I am going the wrong way through the game? Am i supposed to do something else to get better before doing these things? Also why are they mad I like just started the game and they mad

3. When someone dies in my party their portrait goes black. I assume I can revive them somehow. What is the early game way to do this? Is there a potion or something? If I leave the screen where they died can I come back and revive them later or will they fully die just chilling there for too long

4. Everyone walks so slow and dies so fast. Is there a way to fast travel to places you've already been? Is there a way to not die?

Comments

• unhidemymenusunhidemymenus Member Posts: 39
    cont

5. I met up with a bard guy, he can sing. What does that do

6. does armor class work like golf? Why is the 800 gold armor class 3 and the leather one 7. Lower the better?
  • lolienlolien Member, Moderator, Translator (NDA) Posts: 3,108
    Great work on answering @rufus_hobart‌! I can just agree.
  • lunarlunar Member Posts: 3,460
    edited September 2014
    A few general tips:

Sleep spell is very powerful, it will knock out hordes of bandits, kobolds, gibberlings, xvarts, gnolls and even ogres. Use it.

Ranged weapons and especially the bows are very powerful in bg1. Learn kiting. One tanky npc (lowest ac, highest hp) becomes the kite's body while a big bad monster chases him around, hence becoming the kite's tail. Always run around in circles with your tank and never let the big bad monster touch him/her. While all of your other party members should attack with ranged weapons:bows, crossbows, slings, darts, throwing daggers, whatever handy and they are proficient with. This way you can kill an ogre berserker easily (it can take a while)

Do not melee ghouls or ghasts, like, ever! They will paralyse you and tear the paralysed npc apart. Always use kiting and ranged weapons or damage spells against them. They are immune to sleep as well.

Skeletons are very resilient against ranged attacks and slashing/cutting attacks. They receive little damage from them. Use crushing weapons like staves, clubs, maces, flails, etc. for best effect.

Some rare monsters (such as the dreadful Vampiric Wolf, beware if you meet one in your travels!) are flat out immune to normal weapons. You need to find magical weapons and ammunition (those with +1 or +2 to their names) to hurt them. Magical ammo is very useful against them since you can have a character kite the monster while your other members pelt the monster (vampiric wolf, or a golem) with magical arrows+1 or sling bullets +1 or darts+1.
    Thanks so much!

Xar is chaotic evil. My guy is lawful good. Xar complains when i do good things. Will he snap and leave my party or something eventually?

If i kick people from my party can i go find them somehwere to ask if they can join again?

Are items with +thac0 good or -thac0 good?
  • lunarlunar Member Posts: 3,460
    edited September 2014
    Most npcs will stay where you kicked them out of the party. Unless they are very angry. If they were unhappy with your party (their alignment was not compatible with your party reputation or you took too long to do their quests) they will storm off when you kick then out and you won't find them again.

If you are a paladin be extra careful not to do evil deeds or kill innocents. If your reputation becomes too low or if you kill an innocent commoner even accidentally (say, via a badly aimed fireball) you may become a fallen paladin and lose all of your paladin bonuses and special abilities PERMANENTLY. (There is a quest to regain fallen status in bg2 IIRC but it is much later on and works only once and requires a very difficult battle)
  • the_spyderthe_spyder Member Posts: 5,018
    Welcome to the obsession that is Baldur's Gate. Looks like you are getting a lot of good feedback here.

Just remember, read the manual if at all possible. Understand that there is a learning curve and that there a BUNCH of rules to the game. Use Auto-pause as much as you can stand at least until you better understand what works and how. Explore and have fun and don't over-worry about dying. And above all, save a LOT.
  • atcDaveatcDave Member Posts: 2,154
    Everyone beat me to it with some great advice here!

One thing I would add about the NPCs, don't worry about keeping everyone happy. If you're playing LG, and a CE joins your party, well you two are not destined to follow the same path for long!
    And especially if you're playing a paladin, you don't want to get sucked into doing evil things. It WILL ruin your character.
    There are plenty of characters of every alignment, you will be able to put together a party that gets along, eventually.

But otherwise, try to do their quests when you can. There's always experience and treasure to be had...
    If the OP is running a Lawful Good, I'd strongly suggest that they return to (or go to) the Friendly Arm Inn and follow the instructions given by Gorion and meet up with his friends. That should help things out a bit.

Another tip, you can have six party members at a time (five plus your main dude). As a new player, you really want to have a full party. Later on, once you figure out how things work, you can find combination and see how smaller parties work, but initially go with the six.

And those six should contain at least 2 and optimally 3 Fighter types, one cleric, one Thief and most probably one wizard. That is the 'Standard' configuration anyhow. It is not necessary to do that combination but it will make things easier early on. And if you follow the main flow, that quota should be pretty easy to fill almost immediately.

Another tip, do some healthy exploring as you go. Fully explore every map you enter. There are a lot of places in the area to explore. When in Beregost, explore the maps adjacent to it. Then head south. When in Nashkal, explore around there (and pick up any quests you encounter). Don't RUSH to complete the main story line. There is plenty of time for that.

And as far as it goes, the lower portion of the board has more or less 'beginner' style challenges. The higher up the main map you go, the more you encounter more difficult stuff. This isn't 100% true or accurate, but it is a general guideline. And if things get impossibly tough, go somewhere else instead, but don't stop exploring. There are one or two notable exceptions though, so just pay attention to the monsters you encounter.

And there are a few special monsters that require specific defenses or strategies. Just because something kills you dead with a look, doesn't mean that it is impossible to kill em back.
  • moody_magemoody_mage Member Posts: 2,054
    edited September 2014
    For those actually landing blows AC and THAC0 need to be as low as possible. However bonuses to armour and weapons are displayed as pluses (+1 etc). A +1 weapon will reduce your THAC0 by one, a +1 Armour will likewise reduce your AC by 1.
    THAC0 = To Hit Armor Class Zero. It is actually far too complicated for what it does.

Basically the number that is displayed is the number on a scale of 1-20 that you need to roll on a 20 sided die, in order to hit someone with an armor class of zero. If you have a THAC0 of 15 and you are attacking someone with an AC (armor class) of zero, a roll of 15, 16, 17...20 will hit your opponent. If their armor class is greater (AC:2) than zero, that number adjusts downward (to 13 in this case). If it is less than zero (AC:-3) it adjusts upward by that number (in this case 18).

As you get magic weapons, the plus value of the weapon adjusts the roll downward, so if you have a THAC0 of 15 and you equip a long sword +1, your THAC0 becomes 14. Great strength will likewise "Increase" (read reduce the number) your THAC0. And high Dexterity will likewise effect ranged weapons like bows.

And as you gain levels, that number will increase (again read "go down") such that a 5th level character will have a 'Better' THAC0 (read lower) than a 2nd level character.

As I said, far too complicated for what it does, but that is what we got.
  • DauntDaunt Member Posts: 52
    Welcome to Baldur's Gate! :)
  • GoodSteveGoodSteve Member Posts: 607
    Also, get ranged weapons. Put a ranged weapon on everyone that can use one, it will make your life much easier in the early portions of the game. Ranged weapons rock! Just be sure to switch to a melee weapon if someone gets close enough to swing at you.
  • GoodSteveGoodSteve Member Posts: 607
    "At first i was a beastmaster becuase ur mom and i hit a rough patch and i thought that would help."

LOL?
    So who is in your group? Sounds like you have MInsc and Daynheir. Presumably you still have Imoen and Khalid and Jaheira. Just a guess.

If so, that should be a good solid party. If not, who did you pick up?
    I have minsc, his lady mage, kalgid fighter man and the mage i found in the mines, thief girl and boo. Where is the quest to embiggen boo to his primordial form
  • rufus_hobartrufus_hobart Member Posts: 490
    Nice work, you're obviously progressing in the game if you've rescued Dynaheir so hopefully some of the actions - pause, save, repeat ;-) - are becoming a little more intuitive to you now. Clerics are very useful, they get some very nice spells, quite apart from the healing ones so have fun and explore some of those, you'll quickly find which ones are too your liking and suit your style of play. You actually have a fairly decent party there with a nice spread of skills, so as others have said, take your time, explore where you see fit, save a lot and have fun. The main quest will wait for you, so feel free to wander, there's a ton to look at!

THAC0 = To Hit Armor Class Zero. It is actually far too complicated for what it does.

Basically the number that is displayed is the number on a scale of 1-20 that you need to roll on a 20 sided die, in order to hit someone with an armor class of zero. If you have a THAC0 of 15 and you are attacking someone with an AC (armor class) of zero, a roll of 15, 16, 17...20 will hit your opponent. If their armor class is greater (AC:2) than zero, that number adjusts downward (to 13 in this case). If it is less than zero (AC:-3) it adjusts upward by that number (in this case 18).

As you get magic weapons, the plus value of the weapon adjusts the roll downward, so if you have a THAC0 of 15 and you equip a long sword +1, your THAC0 becomes 14. Great strength will likewise "Increase" (read reduce the number) your THAC0. And high Dexterity will likewise effect ranged weapons like bows.

And as you gain levels, that number will increase (again read "go down") such that a 5th level character will have a 'Better' THAC0 (read lower) than a 2nd level character.

As I said, far too complicated for what it does, but that is what we got.

*gasp* you dare suggest something is wrong with THAC0? *picks up THAC0 and protects it and cuddles it to bits* Meanie! This is why we can't have nice things! ;-)

edited September 2014
    @rufus_hobart - LOL. I never said it was 'Wrong', merely over-complicated.

@unhidemymenus - looks like you have a good team. What did you do with Khalid's Wife? Those two make for a good team, and it looks like you don't have a healer in your group (cleric or druid depending on your choice). While it can be done that way, you may find it a bit easier if you have someone who can throw around healing spells.

So where are you now? Clearly you have resolved the troubles in Nashkal. Where too next?
    @the_spyder‌ - haha I know it's not perfect, I just got introduced to D&D with THAC0 - yay 2nd edition! - and loved it for all it's stupid over complications. It's early morning here so I thought I'd go with the unnecessarily hysterical approach in responding.

And as far as @unhidemymenus‌ party, I'm pretty sure he said his Charname was now a cleric, so he's the walking medkit. Unless I made that bit up, which is more than possible.
    Khalids wife had an addicent right before i met xan. She fell

My main lady is a fighter cleric so we're good i think

I cleared up dem mines just recently
    @rufus_hobart - LOL. I've been living with THAC0 tables for more than 30 years now. I get em. I accept em. I've played with them and prefer to do so over other systems. But yeah, when you try and explain em to someone else, you see the inherent over-complicatedness of it all.

@unhidemymenus - good for you. Now take some time and clear out the rest of the lower maps. Just if you come across a big old tower that is guarded by suits of armor with no one in side, leave.... Very quietly.. And VERY quickly..... Other than that, there is loads to explore.

And LOL. Jaheira had an "accident"? I've been watching this British comedy called BlackAdder. There is this one quote in the episode just recently.

"He died when he accidentally brutally stabbed himself in the stomach while shaving"
  • BelanosBelanos Member Posts: 968

...I went to beregost and they killed me outside the inn...

...I went to friendly arm inn and a mage killed me...

It sounds to me that you're choosing the wrong path. Gorion tells you to go the Friendly Arm Inn to meet Khalid and Jaheira, that's where you should be going first. Of course you'll still have to fight that mage, who can be tough so early in the game. But with Xvar and Montaron, as well as Khalid and Jahiera, you'll have a full party, which will make things easier later on. As for that mage, just be sure to quicksave before you have the encounter, sometimes it takes a few tries. Also, time your approach so that a guard or two is in the area. Once the mage goes hostile they'll help you out.

• BelanosBelanos Member Posts: 968

Another tip, do some healthy exploring as you go. Fully explore every map you enter. There are a lot of places in the area to explore.

And to expand on that, make good use of your Tab key when exploring a map. Many of them have a container hidden in them that quite often has some very cool stuff inside. If you don't use your Tab key, you're likely to miss them because they're very small and not at all noticeable if you're just walking around.