Skip to content

Party members leaving permanantly

ari1413ari1413 Member Posts: 7
I'm trying to mix things up a bit and change my party. I have multiple NPCs at the Jovial Juggler in chapter 5 that I am adding or removing as they gain experience. I've been playing a good party and my reputation has gradually increased to 20. This had been working fine for the last 4 chapters, with characters waiting after I dismissed them. Now, however, anytime I kick out a neutral character, I get a rude dismissal followed by them disappearing outright (ie xan tells me he considers this mission a dismal failure and our debt is repaid, garrick tells me I'm as bad as Silke, branwen tells me I'm no better than the loki spawn she left behind). I altered my save state so that my reputation was 16, with no change in the reaction. I've even tried the happy mod to make reputation less of an issue overall, with no effect. Good characters don't seem to have an issue, only neutral ones (with the exception that jaheira seems ok with being kicked out - I'm guessing she's coded to be more tolerant of...whatever this is). Strangely, even evil characters that have already joined I'm able to add to the party and then dismiss without them leaving.

Any idea how to keep these people in my party?

EDIT: save state changing Branwen's alignment to good doesn't seem to change her leaving pissed at me

Comments

• DJKajuruDJKajuru Member Posts: 3,300
    Rep 16 is still high, even for neutral characters - have you tried changing it to 11?
  • PaladinPaladin Member Posts: 335
    I never understood why a neutral character would be mad either way.

"I am neutral! You can't be too good or too evil. Be right in the middle!" What? That makes no sense. If you are neutral, you should be okay either way, right? Unless you are a Druid and trying to uphold "balance." That is a bit different.
  • ari1413ari1413 Member Posts: 7
    Just tried. Still same effect.
    Paladin said:

I never understood why a neutral character would be mad either way.

"I am neutral! You can't be too good or too evil. Be right in the middle!" What? That makes no sense. If you are neutral, you should be okay either way, right? Unless you are a Druid and trying to uphold "balance." That is a bit different.

Yeah, it's one of the more annoying aspects of bg2, where neutral party members are constantly whining about my reputation, but at least there they can be removed from the party and not vanish. And even "balance" usually doesn't mean randomly helping people and then randomly hurting/refusing to help people. Usually the things that lead to reputation increases *involve* helping the underdog, after all.

I've used BG tweaks for some cosmetic changes (I did try the happy mod, but only *after* this problem arose). Possibly something was altered in the process? I'm going to try to uninstall and reinstall to see if the save games are at fault. Failing that, an incremental save from (ouch!) before the naskell mines is fine (reputation is 16 at that point). Even my save from a week or so after is bad, so either I backtrack to there and just get more paranoid, live with all good parties, or hopefully someone has an idea.

I've used near infinity to browse around. There's 3 different dialogue files for, say, xan: xan, xanj, and xanp. Not sure what each of these does, but failing all else I'll try to go under the hood and figure out what's going on. Perhaps I can "neuter" that particular trigger, but this seems excessive. Grrrr.
  • the_spyderthe_spyder Member Posts: 5,018
    It is a little known fact that being neutral does not mean "Doing a little Good and then a little Evil". Neutrality isn't the alignment that you want to pick if you don't want to pick an alignment.

Neutrality should "strictly speaking" mean that you don't want to get involved. You go out of your way to avoid doing EITHER Good or Evil. It should be just as hard to play any one of the big three (good, neutral or evil) as any other. You should (when properly played) have to stick strictly (within tolerances) to your chosen ethos, not dabble across all of them.

A good person might help an old lady cross the street. An evil doer might very well push the old lady down in the street. A Neutral wouldn't take either course of action, they would simply observe the woman as she chose her own fate.

With that having been said, yeah the reputation system could use a serious overhaul, assuming that were possible.
  • GoodSteveGoodSteve Member Posts: 607
    edited September 2014

It is a little known fact that being neutral does not mean "Doing a little Good and then a little Evil". Neutrality isn't the alignment that you want to pick if you don't want to pick an alignment.

Neutrality should "strictly speaking" mean that you don't want to get involved. You go out of your way to avoid doing EITHER Good or Evil. It should be just as hard to play any one of the big three (good, neutral or evil) as any other. You should (when properly played) have to stick strictly (within tolerances) to your chosen ethos, not dabble across all of them.

A good person might help an old lady cross the street. An evil doer might very well push the old lady down in the street. A Neutral wouldn't take either course of action, they would simply observe the woman as she chose her own fate.

With that having been said, yeah the reputation system could use a serious overhaul, assuming that were possible.

That's not an entirely accurate portrayal of neutral characters. Typically neutral characters do what they think is "right" based on their own preconcieved notions of morality. They do not let the universally accepted definitions of what is "good" or "evil" dictate how they live their lives.

A Lawful Neutral character might be a guardsman that takes the letter of the law as the absolute authority. He would enforce the laws of the land whether they were to protect the innocent or exploit them. The morality behind the law and whether it is ethical or not doesn't come into play, only that the law is the law and it will be upheld to the letter. Also, a lawful neutral character doesn't have to uphold the law of the land and might be devoted to his or her own set of rules or guidelines. Like a hitman that refuses to do certain jobs depending on what he thinks is right. Leon from The Professional would be a Lawful Neutral character. "No women, no kids..."

True Neutral characters are more akin to what you are describing, but that doesn't have to be the rule. The Harper's, as described by Jaheira, are Neutral with the idea of upholding the balance of the land as paramount. The Harpers, as described by Jaheira (they're much more "good aligned" in the novels), are just as likely to put a stop to a tyrannical warlord gaining too much power as they are to stop a good kingdom from enveloping its surrounding lands.

Chaotic Neutral characters just do what strikes their fancy at the time. They have no moral compass as to what is good or evil, it doesn't matter to them. All that matters is what they think is the best course to take at any given moment. A chaotic neutral character is just as likely to stop a group of bandits from robbing a caravan as he is to join them, depending largely on how favorable the outcome will be for them. This isn't due to greed but more out of self preservation, one of the strongest diriving forces of any sentient being. Morality is nothing to a chaotic neutral character, they rely purely on instinct and gut reactions.
    Post edited by GoodSteve on
    Well, removing the entirety of the override folder didn't help, even with reputation of 11. Sigh. Wish I knew what exactly was pissing off these neutral characters. I guess I'll go in a neuter the script, assuming that's possible
    Aha! Here we go. Altering your reputation in a savegame to 11 and then booting a neutral will NOT save them from leaving forever. But altering your reputation in a savegame to 11 and THEN donating at a temple to increase it to 12 WILL save them from leaving forever after being booted! I haven't checked yet but it wouldn't surprise me if the trigger was already applied long ago (the second my rep got too high) and subsequently altering rep was insufficient to keep them because they were already "primed" to leave.

Altering Xan's dialogue file specifically told me it was the happiness that was at issue (the XANJ file in particular was triggering - this is the one where happinesslt (myself,0) is the trigger. I'm guessing it's checked at the time of reputation change, not at the time you kick the party member out. Hopefully with this in place, the happiness patch will now make it impossible for neutral characters to get "primed" a second time regardless of any further actions on my part.

GoodSteve said:

That's not an entirely accurate portrayal of neutral characters. Typically neutral characters do what they think is "right" based on their own preconcieved notions of morality. They do not let the universally accepted definitions of what is "good" or "evil" dictate how they live their lives.

This is true of all alignments. Even in a world where absolute Good and ultimate Evil can be known, people still "do what they think is right" based on their own individual ethos. For Evil players "that which is right" would be seen by an independent observer as 'Evil'. I think it is the rare person who would do what they think is "wrong" for the very reason that they think it IS Wrong.

But don't think of Good and Evil as the "right" or "wrong" thing. Think instead of them as physical forces manifest. Neutrality likewise is a force manifest, making the third point on a three sided triangle. Sure there are more moderates (of all three alignments) who gravitate towards one of the other two points aren't "Purists". But by and large they are either Good, Neutral or Evil because their main focus is that ethos.

Therefore I stand by my original statement. Neutrality isn't intended to be "The alignment of choice" for those who don't want to choose an alignment as so many players think. Particularly if your character is a Divine caster or other representative of your Deity. Your stance towards Good and/or Evil should absolutely be "I am not going to support either side" primarily because their patron Deities are often times in direct conflict with one side or the other.
    Actually most people who do good or evil do know that their actions are either right or wrong, but evil people tend not to care. They feel that by doing wrong they are still coming out ahead and therefore the act isn't what is truly important as long as they get the result they want. Someone who doesn't know right from wrong is clinically insane. That's how certain individuals get off of criminal charges, because they couldn't understand that the actions they were taking at the time were wrong due to insanity. There are many people in fantasy worlds and the real world who don't believe that robbing someone or killing someone is "good" for whatever reason, but they still do it anyway.

Neutrality as a force in the cosmology of the realms is somewhat lacking. While there are the Inevitables as Lawful Neutral enforcers of the laws of the universe, and the Slaadi, the often brutal and merciless denizens of Limbo representing Chaotic Neutral outsiders, the Rilmani are very much not represented in DnD at all let alone the FR cosmology. Truth be told, none of the Neutral alignments have nearly as much coverage or power as the good and evil alignments when it comes to cosmology and "being a force in the universe."

Neutrality isn't the alignment of choice any more than any other alignment. Good, Neutral, and Evil characters always have to make choices, those choices typically follow a trend based on what alignment they are and therefore what their world view is. If they like doing good and can't fathom letting something bad happen to someone or the thought of doing something bad then they're good. If they don't particularly care about good or evil and want to live their lives the way they want without outside forces governing their actions they're typically neutral. If they don't care if bad things happen to people, or don't mind doing those bad things themselves as long as it is to their own benefit than they are evil. Each of these dumbed down summaries obviously becomes more expansive as you flesh out your character and see where they land on the law/chaos axis, but that's the gist of the alignments as they pertain to people. If we're talking the mystical forces of each, as governed by alien beings from other planes, it takes on a stranger and more indepth meaning. Should this have anything to do with 99.9% of people walking the face or Faerun? No, not really.

Neutral priests are the same as Good or Evil priests. they follow the dogma of their deity. That dogma might be skewed towards law, good, evil, chaos, neutrality, or a combination thereof. A Neutral priest does choose sides, he chooses the side of his deity, whatever side that might be. If you're a cleric of Silvanus, and the evil clergy of Malar is trying to destroy your own, as Malar attempts to wrest Silvanus' portfolio from him, you would choose a side. Your deities side. Just because you are now killing Malarites and thus ridding the world of an evil pressence doesn't mean you're doing it to be "good," you're doing it because it falls into your duties as a cleric of Silvanus. The only time a neutral priest should have the world view of "I will choose no sides in good, evil, law or chaos, for the ptrinciple of being neutral" is if that is a part of your deities dogma... as far as I can tell no deities really represent that worldview in FR.
    @GoodSteve - I couldn't disagree with you more. I think that evil people think that what they do is "for the greater good" or some such. I don't think people wake up one morning and say 'I am going to kick babies "Because I'M EVIL and that's the way I roll"'. I like to believe that they have some justification or rationalization that means they are doing 'the right thing' in their eyes. Even the insane ones.

Beyond that, alignment is so hotly debated and so nebulously defined, I am not prepared to get into a major discussion on the topic. You are entitled to your opinion or interpretation. For me, I have seen far to many PLAYERS who think that neutrality is merely "If you don't want to choose an alignment, choose Neutral". I don't personally believe that is the intent. But that is merely my personal definition.

Each player should play as they choose and have fun with. Nuff said.
  • MathsorcererMathsorcerer Member Posts: 3,037
    The easy fix is to edit not the party or the characters but happy.2da and get rid of any result lower than -160; some people will still complain based on your reputation and their alignment but at least they won't leave. For extra variety I also set the neutral happy amounts to 81 for reputation 9-12 so that the neutral characters will voice their "happy" dialog.
    edited September 2014
    I agree completely that choosing a neutral alignment is not what you should do "if you don't want to choose an alignment." All the neutral alignments are, well... alignments and they represent something just as important as any other alignment.

I'm not saying there doesn't exist the odd person who thinks that killing off all of the 'X' people in the world will make the world a better place. Therefore trying to justify their actions as good, that person exists and they're insane. But the sheer amount of people willing to rob a liquor store and shoot the clerk so they can't be identified far far outnumbers them. You might rob a liquor store because you're poor, and need the money to buy medicine for your baby, which some people might try and construe into a "good" act. But people who do so know that it is wrong. They take precautions not to get caught because they know it's against the laws of man and (if we want to get biblical up in here) god. Killing a witness so you wont be caught is evil, and anyone who does it knows it is evil, unless of course they're insane. Taking someone's life to protect yourself from facing the consequnces of your actions is an evil act, people know this and still do it all the time. They're not "kicking babies for the fun of it" they're taking someones life so they can get away with doing something wrong. They think that their own well being is more important than that of someone else, and either don't consider or don't care about the lives they're ruining so that their life wont be any worse for wear.
    edited September 2014
    There are so many other perspectives though. If you watch Guardians of the Galaxy (a great movie by the way), at the end, Rocket is debating with the Nova police about possession. He asks "If I see something that I really want, more than the person who has it, can I take it from him?" When the police say "No", he says "But I want it MORE than them." That's a perspective. From their perspective, if you want something bad enough, more than the other guy, you deserve it. Not "I am gonna kill that guy 'Because I am EVIL'".

Darwinism says that whatever doesn't kill you, makes you stronger. From that perspective, the strongest deserve everything and the weak SHOULD die out. Or more simply, if you want it bad enough, you should defend it. If you don't, that's YOUR problem.

I don't for one second believe that "Evil" characters dress all in black and twist their vaudeville mustaches while they tie young women to train tracks "for no other reason than they are EVIL". Yeah, I needed the money more than the other guy. He was gonna do a bad thing and RAT on me. So I shot him. It might be twisted and wrong to us, but to the guy doing it, they have some rationalization that makes it 'Right' in their minds. Otherwise why do it at all?
    edited September 2014
    @the_spyder Yeah, Guardians of the Galaxy was pretty good. Yes, Rocket asks that question and then is told that it is wrong to do so. Do you think that will stop him from doing it? Not likely. He would still do it, which is a safe bet judging by his moral compass throughout the rest of the movie. So, he would still choose to take something from someone, even though he knows it is wrong, but because he doesn't think that law is as important as some other people do. A junkie might mug you in an alley way because they think getting high is more important than you paying your bills this month. Does he think it's the "right" thing to do? No, he just thinks his own needs are more important than yours. That's selfishness which, in excess, is an evil trait. Believing you "want something more than someone else" justifies taking it from them is one thing. Thinking that it is a good act to take it from them is something altogether different and not really the vibe I get from Rocket. He doesn't think he's saving orphans, or cleaning up the ozone layer by taking things from people, he does it because he wants to and isn't deterred by the law or any sense of morality.

All of those examples you've given are justifications on why someone would do something. They're saying "He was gonna do a bad thing and RAT on me. So I shot him." as the reasoning behind what they did. Do you honestly think someone says this to a cop or jury and expects them to say "Oh, ok. It's fine then... you killed them for a good reason." No. They killed them for a reason that was important to them, but I doubt it is something they would hold in high moral regard alongisde buying your sister her first communion dress. They might feel justified in what they did but to call it a "good" act, not likely.
    @GoodSteve - you miss the point. Rocket doesn't think it is wrong. Yes, he would do it. Yes, he thinks that if he wants it more than someone else, he deserves it. He thinks he is right. You and I and society might disagree, but it doesn't change the fact that HE thinks he is doing the right thing.

As for the cop or the jury, they probably think that cops and juries are all corrupt. They don't expect that the cop will let them off, but they see the cops as the evil. Not themselves.

Just to be clear, someone with an evil moral compass probably thinks that helping a little old lady across the road is 'Evil'. She is old and feeble and using up resources that could feed others. Let her die. That is their "Right" (even if it is our wrong). They don't (mostly) choose the bad choices. They choose the good ones that support their ethos.

And yes, it is a justification. But quite frankly some of the stuff good people do is a justification as well.
    He might think it's the "right" thing to do for him but he knows it's not "good." I guess that might be where the confusion is creeping in. He does things he thinks are justified based on his own set of ethics but on the universal axis of what is good and evil he knows that stealing isn't "good." If he had no sense of what good and evil meant he would be insane. It's literally the definition of what makes someone criminally insane. They cannot differentiate between "good and evil" and "right and wrong." When referring to what is "right and wrong" they mean the standard definition that is universally accepted by the society they live in. If that person's own moral compass of what is "right and wrong" is so skewed that they think killing someone is truly a "good" act, then they are insane.

People do evil acts, knowing they are evil, all the time. Serial killers frequently say they knew what they were doing was horrible but they were compelled to do it from some urge or deep rooted feeling. People can do evil things, knowing they are evil, without tying the damsel to the train tracks or sacrificing babies to Cthulhu.
    So we are simply going to have to agree to disagree. in my view Rocket thinks he is doing right. That was the point behind the discussion. In his view, if he wants it bad enough it is 'Right' that he should have it.
    edited September 2014

So we are simply going to have to agree to disagree. in my view Rocket thinks he is doing right. That was the point behind the discussion. In his view, if he wants it bad enough it is 'Right' that he should have it.

I honestly don't know enough about that character's motivations to say for certain that he truly believes that or not. If he does, he is insane. There is a precedent of people doing evil, knowing it is evil, and still not being deterred from doing it. Perhaps Rocket isn't a good example, but they do exist.
    edited September 2014
    @GoodSteve - I can't speak to if Rocket is meant to be Insane or not, but I wouldn't consider him insane for that stance.

There are infinities of different philosophies out there in the world, most of which are perfectly sane and (within tolerances) valid. If you were to go up to a hundred random groups or organizations (including whatever religion you care to name), you will get a hundred different answers of what is 'Good' and what is 'Evil', some of them Extremely dispirit and even in direct conflict. What to one group is the definition of goodness and sanctity, another group will universally condemn. And then if you ask 100 people WITHIN any one of those groups, you will get a hundred different variations on interpretation on any given point.

Things are no where near as black and white as you appear to think it is my friend. And I think your understanding of what constitutes clinical insanity is a bit skewed by what we see in movies and on television. Proving mental incompetence due to not understanding the difference between right and wrong is not meant to be what you are describing. If it were, a WHOLE LOT MORE PEOPLE would be in mental institutions instead of prisons.

But again, I am not here to change the way you think or see the world. I respect your belief system and merely feel that mine is different than yours. Not better or worse, merely different. And nothing is wrong with different.
    Post edited by the_spyder on
    @the_spyder The reason why there aren't more people locked up in asylums due to the pleading insanity defense is that they have people who can tell if you truly believe that or not. Like you believe, tons of people come into legal preceedings saying "I didn't know what I was doing was wrong" or some variation thereof. Whether it can be proven that they truly are insane or just saying that to get the charges dropped or lessened of have a less severe penalty is the deciding factor... and like you pointed out, not that many people have success with this defense. Why? Because they don't really believe that and are just saying it.

I'm not entirely sure what it is you're trying to argue at this point. I've conceded that there are people who do evil things, thinking that they are good a long time ago. I never said that things were "black and white" when it comes to morality and all I was defending was that there are people who do evil things, even while knowing that they are evil. These people DO exist. That's really all I'm trying to say, and I think it is baffling to argue that there are ZERO cases of this happening, anywhere, ever. Is that what you're trying to say?

Those few guys you know are actually jerks and I sincerely doubt that they think they're doing the world a service by stealing from people. Ask them whether they steal the things to "teach them how to defend themselves" (which they aren't because having something stolen doesn't make you suddenly a master at theft prevention) is more important than the feeling they get from stealing it and/or now owning the property. If they tell you it's to teach people a lesson then they're lying to you. Not to mention there are a hundred different ways to teach this lesson without stealing from someone. The "good act" is apparently teaching people to defend their property (which is unimportant to them as you said, they are just "things" afterall, so why would they care if you could defend your property or not) but they're going about it by being jerks. Why not start teaching classes on theft prevention? Why not knock on the door of one of their marks and inform them that 'X' thing is in a vulnerable spot, you should keep it in a safer place? Why? Because they want to steal it. They may try to rationalize it however they want but their true motivation is to steal the property, if it wasn't... they wouldn't. And they know stealing is wrong, it's something everyone wants to prevent because it hurts people. Why would they try and teach people how to defend their things if stealing doesn't hurt anybody? Why would people try to prevent it? Because it does hurt people and they know that. If they think that hurting people (not physically but financially/emotionally) is a "good" act then they're psychos.
    edited September 2014
    @GoodSteve - fair enough. we have a difference of opinion.

Just a few caveats. If you get something stole, it doesn't magically make you a master at thievery, it's true. It DOES make you much more keenly aware of how vulnerable you are. That will, in most cases, cause you to re-examine your defense strategy. That's all I was saying.

And you are right, there are people who kick pigs because they think they are bad people and deserve no better. There are also bad people (by our definition) who truly and honestly think they are doing the good and right thing (and aren't insane), the point I was trying to make.

Not gonna argue the point any further.

If you get something stole, it doesn't magically make you a master at thievery, it's true. It DOES make you much more keenly aware of how vulnerable you are. That will, in most cases, cause you to re-examine your defense strategy. That's all I was saying.

A quick knife jab into the ribs from a stranger in crowd will let you know how vulnerable you are too. What's the lesson? Don't go outside? Avoid crowds at all costs? Without living in a bunker hundreds of feet below the ground, chances are you'll be in a situation where someone can take something from you. You can't really do anything to stop it from ever happening ever. So stealing from someone just to point out it can be done is meaningless... and definitely not good.
    edited September 2014
    LOL. Yep. You are right. What was I thinking?

Since this has now devolved to Reductio ad absurdum, I am out.
    edited September 2014
    Oh, you learn some things. Getting stabbed sucks. What's the solution? Drastically change your life so that random acts of violence can't happen to you? Become a shut-in? Wear a stab proof vest at all times? But what if someone tries to shoot you? Wear a bullet proof vest underneath? No one will do these things if they want to maintain any semblance of their former life and having something happen to you that makes your life worse forever isn't really all that good. Most people heal and go back out into that crowd. Get back on the horse, cause it can happen to anyone and there's nothing you can do to stop it. Your best bet is to just keep on living your life the way you want to and realize there's things outside of your control.

(In response to "yeah, like you wouldn't learn something from that" (paraphrasing) comment that was edited out)
    edited September 2014
    @GoodSteve

And see above about Reductio ad absurdum.
    I also see above that you've taken large pieces out of your older posts, like the whole "I know some guys who think stealing is good" bit... interesting.