Skip to content

Coran *SPOILERS*

VitorVitor Member Posts: 288
Was Coran intended to be a joinable NPC in Shadows of Amn?

I've just encountered him in the Forest of Tethir, wich is by the way his homeland, and it felt to me that he could have been planned to join your party at that point. After the encounter with Safana and the Werewolfs, you even have the option to ask him if he wouldn't join your party. He says he is tempted to go with you, but seemed too devastated for Safana to go on at that point. It was a really nostalgic meeting there in the woods, since he was almost like my bestman in BG1. I wish he could accept to join the party... :/

Well, even the area seemed to been planed for him to join your party at that point. In the southern cave you find Manabow, wich possibly would be the best weapon for him in the game, since he can't use Composite Longbows without enhancements to Strength. And Suldanessellar is just beyond, so he could have good interaction with other elfs.

I'll finish Irenicus with Imoen in my group, but I am really tempted to install Coran NPC Mod by Olga Silaeva, from Pocket Plane Group, for Throne Bhaal. Do you recommend this mod for me for ToB?

And what do you think? In my opinion Coran seems to have been planned to be a NPC for SoA. Maybe he was cutted off to force you to end the game with Imoen in your party.
Post edited by Vitor on

Comments

• lunarlunar Member Posts: 3,460
    edited September 2014
    You meet Coran near the very end of SoA, so I don't think that is a good place for a joinable npc. I liked him in bg1 as well and sure he is a very useful party member. It is sad that he was reduced to a cameo appearance that does not even have a direct tie with the main plot of the game.

I never tried the Coran mod, so I have no idea if it is any good. I am skeptical though if the mod does not change his position in the game, it is still 'too little, too late.'

He may be a planned npc that was cut out of the game at the last minute, we may never know. I still wish he appeared earlier in the game, like Xzar. That would have made him eligible as a joinable npc.
  • YupImMadBroYupImMadBro Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 347
    It would be interesting to have him join but I also believe it would be too late to have any interest in him unless he was powerful enough for Throne of Bhaal.
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,316
    lunar said:

I never tried the Coran mod, so I have no idea if it is any good. I am skeptical though if the mod does not change his position in the game, it is still 'too little, too late.'

From the mod readme

"Coran can be found in the Gate district of Athkatla, near the entrance."
  • moody_magemoody_mage Member Posts: 2,054
    And failing that BG2 Tweaks can open up those areas from the start.
  • VitorVitor Member Posts: 288
    Have you ever tryed this mod, @elminster?

Is it good written? Does Coran talks as Coran?
    Does this mod suffers from bugs?
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,316
    Never tried it.
  • TolbenTolben Member Posts: 26
    I actually have that mod installed, and I can say that it's great. His personality is the same, and he makes a great archer/thief. I highly recommend it if you like Coran. The Xan mod is also great.
  • MoomintrollMoomintroll Member Posts: 1,498
    Vitor said:

force you to end the game with Imoen in your party.

*shudder*