Skip to content

Character Creation

I've seen this kind of discussed, but nothing actually came of it. I joined this forum specifically to ask this question and hope that someone knows the answer: why are the new portraits and voices for Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition not available in the sequel? This makes less than no sense to me! I get that BG2 has more banter than the first one, but ... maybe add some more then? Or just keep the voices limited, fine. All in all, this is a very disappointing introduction to a 25 dollar "Enhanced" game.

Comments

• ryuken87ryuken87 Member Posts: 563
    Agree completely, it's a no-brainer.
  • KloroxKlorox Member Posts: 905
    Import to BG2!

Use the same character you adventured through BG1!

Meet many of your old companions!

Oh yeah, but your voice is very different. LOL. Lame.
  • NonnahswriterNonnahswriter Member Posts: 2,520
    If you're running Windows, it's pretty easy to simply add the new voices from BG1 to BG2 yourself if you really want to.

Open your game folder (not the one in Documents), click Data, then 00766. From there, go to a file named "lang," click on "en_US," and then "sounds." All of the voice sets should be there.

To import them over to BG2, copy and paste the soundset you want (you'll probably have to do some in-game checking to see which voice matches up with, say, "female1" or "male3") into a similar sounds folder found in the BG2 game (Baldur's Gate 2 EE -> Data -> 00783 -> lang -> en_US -> sounds). Then you have to rename each of the sound clips to "Custom1" or "Custom2" or what have you, and make sure you keep the letter at the end of each name. So you should have a list of "Custom1a, Custom1b, Custom1c," and so on.

Mind you that since these are BG1 voice sets, there are some clips that will be missing from the BG2 voice sets (no lines for critical hits or misses, for example). And last I checked, you can only have up to 10 custom sound sets in each game, so you'll have to pick and choose which ones you really want (sucks, I know. :/ )

Can't help you on the portraits, I'm afraid. You'd probably have to do a search for them online, save them to your BG2 portraits folder, and crop accordingly.
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,316
    Its a work in progress.
  • KloroxKlorox Member Posts: 905

If you're running Windows, it's pretty easy to simply add the new voices from BG1 to BG2 yourself if you really want to.

Open your game folder (not the one in Documents), click Data, then 00766. From there, go to a file named "lang," click on "en_US," and then "sounds." All of the voice sets should be there.

To import them over to BG2, copy and paste the soundset you want (you'll probably have to do some in-game checking to see which voice matches up with, say, "female1" or "male3") into a similar sounds folder found in the BG2 game (Baldur's Gate 2 EE -> Data -> 00783 -> lang -> en_US -> sounds). Then you have to rename each of the sound clips to "Custom1" or "Custom2" or what have you, and make sure you keep the letter at the end of each name. So you should have a list of "Custom1a, Custom1b, Custom1c," and so on.

Mind you that since these are BG1 voice sets, there are some clips that will be missing from the BG2 voice sets (no lines for critical hits or misses, for example). And last I checked, you can only have up to 10 custom sound sets in each game, so you'll have to pick and choose which ones you really want (sucks, I know. :/ )

Can't help you on the portraits, I'm afraid. You'd probably have to do a search for them online, save them to your BG2 portraits folder, and crop accordingly.

Unfortunately, there are more sound files per character in BG2 than in BG1 (at least that's what I was told years ago).

I would love the Ringo voice in BG2!
  • NonnahswriterNonnahswriter Member Posts: 2,520
    Klorox said:

Unfortunately, there are more sound files per character in BG2 than in BG1 (at least that's what I was told years ago).

I would love the Ringo voice in BG2!

There are. The BG2 sound sets have specific lines for when a character crit-misses, crit-hits, gets interrupted from a spell, hides in shadows... A few other things too. Like I said, you will miss out on these lines if you use the BG1 voice sets, but that's no reason the rest of the clips won't play in-game, so long as you rename them right.

Also, if you try to use a BG2 voice set in BG1, and you include the extra sound files used in BG2, those extra ones won't play at all, since BG1 wasn't programmed to use those lines anyway. But the rest of the clips that BG1 recognizes should work fine.
  • FinneousPJFinneousPJ Member Posts: 6,455
    So why didn't EE enhance the BG soundsets to match BG2 ones (yes, I realize getting the original VAs might be difficult)