Skip to content

On Bug Reports

I did a read of the requirements for reporting a bug, basically to keep your game un-modded without even the most minor alterations of EEKeeper as an example (ctrl+8 via console for stats doesn't allow Monks, etc, to have less than 18/00). So, I'd just like to check if the following would work, allowing me to do a playthrough and have any bugs I report be reviewed as a possible concern/issue. :)

1 - Using the Debug Mode 1 and cheats to alter stats

2 - Using the [Utility] BG(2)EE Autoroller v4 link: http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/10937/utility-bg-2-ee-autoroller-v4/p1

3 - Using EEKeeper to move portrait .bmps only from one game to the other (purely the large ones) by editing a save in each game to extract the portraits, and than deleting the saves in the games, along with any character's created. No further changes to be made beyond the portrait movement, and this is, again so far as I am aware, the only way to really move them quickly and efficiently.

Basically hoping that some combination of 1 &/or 2 + 3 will work otherwise I'm not sure how anyone can be expected to waste a lifetime or three rolling up stats. I generally prefer no less than a 95 on my character's, as I am aware that 'mental' stats will have a bearing, at least in BG2, on dialogue options.

Thank you.

Comments

• DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
    1 is fine, and using custom portraits is also fine. The primary thing that tends to cause issues is when someone edits a stat in EE Keeper or installs a mod on the game--without knowing exactly what was done where, it's impossible to know what caused a particular issue.

Even small modifications with EE Keeper or Near Infinity can cause issues like corrupted saves or overwritten progress.

That being said, if you want to install mods that's fine, but if you encounter an issue post it in Troubleshooting first; we might be able to identify that it's unrelated to the mods you're using, but it takes a bit more work to troubleshoot.
  • SergeTroySergeTroy Member Posts: 86
    All right, thanks Dee.
  • DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
    To reiterate in a way that hopefully makes more sense:

If you're using mods, we're still committed to helping you fix your game, but we can't necessarily prevent the issue from happening again (which is why the issue should be posted in Troubleshooting).

If you're not using mods, then we're most interested in getting a good test case so that we can fix the bug in a future patch if it's something that can be fixed (which is why the issue should be posted in the Bugs forum).

So if you're primarily interested in helping us track down and fix bugs for future patches, don't use mods; but if you're interested in playing the game in a way that's fun for you, and if you like to use mods, then definitely keep doing that, and just know that if you encounter an issue it might not be an issue with the game itself.
  • SergeTroySergeTroy Member Posts: 86
    There aren't really a huge list of mods I'm interested in using mostly just SCS and BG2 Tweaks (looking forward to a sorc with the 'un-nerfed spell progression'). So, right now whatever I can do to both play the game and enjoy it while keeping an eye out for bugs and getting some documentation down. Do appreciate your taking the time for me on that. Very much just need to sit down and GAME! :D
This discussion has been closed.