Skip to content

Loyalty Base Check

VitorVitor Member Posts: 288
Does Charisma influence in any matter the ractions of the NPCs on your party?

I've been playing believing that everytime NPCs would engage in infights (Minsc vs Edwin, for example), you would roll a Loyalty Base Check to see if that would really occurs or not. I always kept high Charisma (Blade of Roses, Cloak of the Nymph, Ring of Human Influence, etc) on my main Char, because I like to have a party with different alignments, and I always believed that I could "handle" this dissemblances.

I have always travelled with Montaron, Xzar, Jaheira and Khalid until the Nashkel Mines, tryed many times Edwin and Minsc on the same party, and until now I had very few infights do the death.

Also, I think this check is made when your reputation is very low/high and a good/evil NPC will leave the party.

Does this "Loyalty Base Check" really exist on Baldur's Gate as it does in PnP, or does it not?
Post edited by Vitor on

Comments

• lunarlunar Member Posts: 3,460
    edited September 2014
    There are vague reports about this that high charisma affects and effectively prevents such occurences of npc in-fightings, and that of morale failure of the npcs in the party, but they are purely anectodal and are not backed up. I believe the npc 'fight to the death' dialogues are somewhat random. If it happens just reload an earlier save and it may not happen yet for some time.

Npcs will leave no matter your charisma if their alignment conflicts with your party's reputation greatly and you get to the breaking point. (Too low reputation for good, too high for evil npcs) Low charisma will prevent you from enabling some npcs to join you in the first place, though.
  • DreadKhanDreadKhan Member Posts: 3,857
    Well, in unsubstantiated news, my first BG1 minmax character had the Zhents and Harpers fight almost immediately upon joining. But yeah, could be 100% coincidence.
  • the_spyderthe_spyder Member Posts: 5,018
    Charisma does effect if some NPCs will join the group. I want to say that (BG1) Viconia won't join you if your Charisma is low enough and you aren't of the right alignment.

But as far as leaving when rep reaches breaking point, I don't think that is effected by Charisma. At least I've never heard of such a thing.
  • DreadKhanDreadKhan Member Posts: 3,857
    Viccy hates the uglies. Totally in character actually.