Skip to content

Cigar Aficionados

Night_WatchNight_Watch Member Posts: 514
Just wondering if there is anyone else out on the forums who also enjoy a good stogie from time to time. If so, do you have any preferences? Recommendations? Times and Locations? Please do tell.

Lately I've been on Padrons. A good one can go anywhere from $10-$15 USD and is just well within my budget.

I've also grown fond of a recent cigar called the Sinister Sam. I find it unique because the wrapping is initially a light brown, for that mild flavor, and then becomes dark throughout the middle for a much more bold taste and finishes again as a good mild. It's an overall great experience, and at an affordable price too (about $10 USD.) Plus, the picture of Uncle Sam smoking a cigar in a dark street is pretty boss.

Lastly, I mostly only smoke at the cigar shop my friend(s) and I go to since there is a lounge available. It's just a nice way to kick back and relax from the stresses of school, work, and real life in general. I usually go maybe once or twice a month at the most. If I could I'd go weekly.

Comments

• DreadKhanDreadKhan Member Posts: 3,857
    I've been a pretty regular cigar smoker for about 10 years, with some breaks (I miss them when I dont have good ones, but dont mknd too much going without). Started with cohiba esplendidos, so I've tried some very good cigars. Taxes on tobacco are really high where I live, easily doubling the cost of cigars, and its hard to find handmade ones here, most people smoke cigarillos or phillies, and those don't really give much of a buzz. Honestly, 1 or 2 robustos a day is nice, but I've smoked more at times. Too many sometimes!

Presently, I roll my own from some black tobacco plants I grew and aged. Results vary, but if I make a serious effort I can roll some decent ones. Pretty strong, but not harsh, generally tend towards thick 60 gauge perfectos, about 5 to 7 inches. Took some time to figure out how damp the wrapper and binder need to be, and I usually leave the filler pretty dry to aide burning. They'd be better if I would spend a few weekends rolling and humidored them properly for a couple months, but atm I smoke them after rolling. They are mostly maduro, with some colorado. None is 'natural', but my variety is not capable of producing this. Its probably more suited to filler, but the biggest leaves make good wrappers.

For day to day smokes, I loved the Quorum mini robustos, and obviously the robustos when I've got time. But I love trying new brands. Love a big oversized Honduran for occasions, and have a great fondness for anything unusual; perfectos, very small handmade cigars (Quorum is great for these actually, and implausibly affordable), and cigars from unusual regions (Indonesia, Phillipines, had some long thin ones from Sri Lanka, Brazilian CAOs, etc).

I thoroughly enjoyed the Padrons I smoked, and would reccomend you try Punch, Don Tomas (the International Toros were very, very good), either Cohiba and Gurkhas. CAO is an excellent brand, so I might see about trying those. This is off the top of my head, and are ones you might like, as most are medium to full bodied. Macanudos are great too, but non-maduros are a bit mild; more of a daytime smoke. If you haven't yet, some websites offer nice 'mix packs' you can order for pretty low prices; I would be VERY cautious of 'house brands', but you arent likely to find a bad Gurkha or Cohiba. Usually you can try a wide range of decent to very good cigars this way: I once ordered 10 of one mix bundle, since the deal was so good. Getting a Dominican Cohiba for less than $3?? There was also a padron in that bundle, I think a robusto. Very satisfying!
  • Night_WatchNight_Watch Member Posts: 514
    edited September 2014
    I only roll cigarettes, never tried to make my own cigar. Heck I didn't even know you could roll your own, but it sounds like a pretty complex process.

Thanks for all the recommendations! I really appreciate your input. You're obviously more knowledgeable in this area than myself and I thank you again for all the information. There's a lot of interesting brands you've mentioned I've been meaning to try out. I have had a Cohiba Black, though it was a good while ago so I don't recall if I enjoyed it or not.

I think overall I prefer maduros over non, but I like to keep an open mind. I also have to keep reminding myself not to inhale (like I do with cigarettes) otherwise it doesn't end well. I'm sure you understand.
  • DreadKhanDreadKhan Member Posts: 3,857
    Yeah, inhaling a cigar the way you do a cigarette is very unpleasant, and a good introduction to the different varieties of tabacco... cigar tobacco is much stronger. I'm from a tobacco growing family, so I know a little bit about propogation, and as mentioned, I did grow some. You can see why heaps of pesticides are more or less mandatory, you sure can't grow many plants 'organicly' without bugs eating your crop. The giant horn worms that click at you are something else! 6 inch long angry catterpillars clicking their teeth at you.

I've seen the rolling leaves for sale for tobacco, but its not easy to find them I'd say, and I doubt you'll get really high grade leaves. The biggest trick to rolling is using long strips to wrap, making sure the leaf is pretty wet at the time so it stretches nicely. Helps if its warm and humid too. It takes some time to get decent at it, but remember that torcedor is a college education in serious cigar producing countries, and you wont have a press to help shape.

I smoked the Red Dot Dominican Cohibas, not tried the Black as of yet. The Cuban Cohiba is better, but the Red Dot is a very well made, quality cigar. The Cuban one really does have an exceptional taste and smell, its very Cuban. However, each region hss its benefits, and I look forward to yhe day the embargo ends and we can try some blends involving Cuban.
  • Night_WatchNight_Watch Member Posts: 514
    DreadKhan said:

However, each region hss its benefits, and I look forward to yhe day the embargo ends and we can try some blends involving Cuban.

One can only dream.