Skip to content

party wild surge!!!

Hi everyone

After recruiting Neera at forest, every time that any of my party members try to use any of their abilities, a wild surge happens!!! Shouldn't this wild surge thing happen only when Neera tries to cast something, not the other party members?

Sorry if it has been asked before.

Comments

• cognoscentuscognoscentus Member Posts: 65
    The whole area is a wild magic zone. Iirc, even innate abilities like kai can trigger a wild surge.
  • meaglothmeagloth Member Posts: 3,806
    Yup. It's a wild magic zone. Just move to a different area and it won't happen. Wild surges(for neera) have a 5% chance of happening, so they don't happen every time she casts a spell.
  • lunarlunar Member Posts: 3,460
    meagloth said:

Yup. It's a wild magic zone. Just move to a different area and it won't happen. Wild surges(for neera) have a 5% chance of happening, so they don't happen every time she casts a spell.

Righto. Unless she casts Nahal's Reckless Dweomer, which will wild surge with %100 chance. With Reckless Dweomer, she will get her mage level added to the dice roll as she actively tries to control the chaos, so results will be a bit better than actual wild surges. Though it is never guaranteed it won't spectacularly blow in your face.
  • jahes64jahes64 Member Posts: 177
    edited September 2014
    Since in BG1EE, Neera's wild surge rate never was this high (she was one of my main companions ), i was confused, but after noticing that wild surge happens for everyone, i thought that my save had been corrupted, and was worried about it, thank the god that this isn't the case. And thanks to everyone who commented here. :)

BTW, i found this Nahal's Reckless Dweomer spell, quite good. I always fill all of my first level spell slots with this spell and 2 of 2th level spell slots with chaos shield then fill rest of 2th and higher level spell slots with all-time-useful spells only. Then whenever i need to cast level 1 spells or uncommon spells, i just cast chaos shield then Nahal's Reckless Dweomer spell and then i choose my desired spell. Half of the times it works good for me. Another good thing about this spell, is that with help of this spell, in lower levels (for example when my mage can cast up to 5th level spells via normal means), i can cast very high level spells up to 9th level spells that via other normal means i couldn't cast otherwise, provided that i have those spells scribed in my book! :)
  • lunarlunar Member Posts: 3,460
    edited September 2014
    Yeah, scribing high level spells are very protitable for wild mages. If you are lucky enough to find Mordenkainen sword or Abi Dalzim's Wilting spells, and if Neera can cast them via Reckless dweomer when she is still lvl 11 or so, it is pretty powerful and fun. Even extremely devastating if you get a good wild surge like, spell cast twice:two Abi Dalzim's Horrid Wiltings from a lvl 11 wild mage. Dayum, that's very powerful! Ofcourse, you may end up turning a party member to stone or destroying thousands of gold in a blink.

One good thing is you can cast contingency, chain contingency and sequencer/trigger type spells via Reckless Dweomer:they always work. However, the very next spell you cast will be a wild surge. The game skips contingency/trigger type spells for the purpose of wild surge, for some reason. So you never need to prepare contingency/trigger type of spells. Cast them via NRD succesfully, then cast something dud like mirror image, or ghost armor on yourself or a magic missile on someone to discharge the wild surge.

As a side note, there are wild surge areas, as well as dead magic zones in Watcher's Keep dungeon too. Fun times will be had if you venture there too deeply. :-)