Skip to content

Best pc character?

SindyanSindyan Member Posts: 146
What class do you think player character are better at playing?. Im not talking extreme power builds but just a major difference that a player created character fills the role a lot better,

Comments

• AliteriAliteri Member Posts: 308
    Whatever the PC makes is likely to keep all the swag to himself: I've yet to meet a non-greedy player.

Besides, extreme power builds are exactly what the player is best at.
  • raywindraywind Member Posts: 289
    most powerfull characters i have played were berserker/cleric, kensai/mage, monk at high lvl and bountyhunter with traps maxed, but most fun most versatile and the one i tend to play over and over again is Blade its nice to cast some spells, offensive spin works nicely with 2x longswords or shortbow for machinegun effect and blade suits each party nicely and dont take best equipment away from other party members. Assassin is also nice in those situations where you can actually backstab for 200+ dmg.
  • LemernisLemernis Member, Moderator Posts: 4,318
    I think I would say... and this surprised me at the time... a half-orc cleric-thief that I played through BGT. That is not a race or class that I would normally even think of playing. I was just looking for some variety. But having the abilities of thief and cleric in a single character certainly was fun.

And some of the backstabs with enchanted quarterstaves (after potions and cleric buffs) were absolutely devastating. The only downside was that by the end of ToB all the major bad guys are immune to backstab. In any event, for 95% of the game it was so satisfying to obliterate at least one opponent per battle in such a manner. He certainly held his own in regular combat as well.
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,316
    Half orc swashbuckler. You make up for the very little thievery choices, but at the same time you are very strong at melee.
  • SilverstarSilverstar Member Posts: 2,207
    edited August 2012
    Well the definition of "best" or even "good" varies from person to person, but...
    Sindyan said:

a major difference that a player created character fills the role a lot better,

Basically the classes that has a lot of choices (thieves, mages and sorcerers) you're better having as PC since the skill/spell allocation on the NPCs are often rubbish... though that's more of a concern in BG2 than BG since in BG you get plenty selection in both pure casters and thieves and you can mold them from lower levels.

At the end of the day though you can finish the game with most party builds so just going with what you like works fine.
  • sandmanCCLsandmanCCL Member Posts: 1,389
    If we're talking BG1, I'd say Bard or Thief because outside of Imoen, every thief in the game is terrible and ALL of the Bards are god-awful. There are good meatshields (Shar-Teel, Kaigan, Minsc, Kivan, Ajantis and Khalid are all pretty good), good wizards (Edwin and Dynaheir, and even a dual-classed Imoen) and good divine casters (Viconia, and Jahiera is passable).

If we're talking the entire series... Well go figure, I vote the same. At least Haer'Dalis is a badass. He's just dumb as a brick so actually successfully transcribing scrolls with him is a pain.

If I'm going to narrow it down, we'll just say any kit dual-classed into Thief, or maybe a level 12ish thief dual-classed into wizard. It always bothered me there wasn't a dedicated thief character for BG2. Imoen can do anything you need a thief to do as long as you haul around some potions of master thievery, but that still means you have no one to rig traps with and no one to get that meaty x5 backstab modifier. I know there's Jan, but being multi-classed it takes him a bajillion years to actually gain any extra thievery outside of the basics.
  • SilverstarSilverstar Member Posts: 2,207

It always bothered me there wasn't a dedicated thief character for BG2. Imoen can do anything you need a thief to do as long as you haul around some potions of master thievery ... I know there's Jan, but being multi-classed it takes him a bajillion years to actually gain any extra thievery outside of the basics.

So. Very. Much. This. Apart from Yoshimo there is no pure "thief" available, is there? It irks me immensely seeing as you have plenty more choice for your thievery in the first game, but you're stuck with 4 bad choices in #2... 2 inferior dual-classes that can never increase their skill, and 2 that has incredibly slow skill progression. And Yoshimo is just plain annoying listening to, party banter aside, but that might just be me.
  • SilenceSilence Member Posts: 437
    Half-orc or Dwarf fighter/thief are very powerful characters and are basically strong enough to solo the game. Powerful in melee, plenty of HP, and great saves (in the case of the Dwarf). You can disarm traps while concealed, backstab, set traps of your own, and more or less make the Sword Coast run red with blood.

I'd recommend Archer, Fighter/Berseker or Inquisitor after that. Kensai is great, but it's harder for soloing - so many potions are required.

If you like taking a back seat and manipulating the game from the shadows, I'd go Mage/Thief. If you do not want to be powerful but want to make your party so, go Cleric, Fighter/Cleric or Mage.
  • moody_magemoody_mage Member Posts: 2,054
    edited August 2012
    My staple BG2 character was a half-orc berserker - however being able to run such a character through from BG1 will make him immensely powerful. A natural 20 STR and 20 CON on a melee character is pretty awesome.