Skip to content

Gah! You call that quest design?!

YgramulYgramul Member Posts: 1,059
Okay, fine.
Are EEs worth the money? Yes, they are. For the joy playing the old game without hassle.
But I can't stand the new "enhanced" content:

I had both EEs since release and, since I only play no-reload, I only now made it to the BG2EE areas with Neera.

... and what a let down!

- terrible creature challenge rating: I'm thumping with my backhand silly little spiders and ogres that stopped being an issue even for one party member long ago in BG1. There should have been... oh, I don't know... genies; rakshasas drawn to the magic anomaly; at least a nishru or so to devour the weird magic. Along with some context and story for why they are there. Not a frigging giant spider and gnolls!

I don't even need to cast any magic in this supposed wild magic zone! What a waste.
(I just came there after doing the Windspear Hills Dungeon: the difference in quality is catastrophic.)

- subpar level design: ooh pretty colors -- but it reeks of "hey, I just discovered the 'Effects' menu under Photoshop")

- [and worst of all] ABYSMAL quest design: did I just get dumped with half a dozen FedEx quests? Really?!
For a topic as fascinating as Wild Magic this is the best they could come up with?! Herding Cats?! COME. ON.

I tolerated this nonsense briefly for BG1EE :: you walk through (not even fight) some goblins -- Goblins! -- and have an anticlimactic fight afterward.

If Beamdog ever releases a game of their own design, I'm not buying it unless a thousand people post testimonials swearing that they finally learned good writing and design practices that could at least match the games of the previous milennium.

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited October 2014
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • DreadKhanDreadKhan Member Posts: 3,857
    Or poor Jan's quest?? What a disapointing quest, no wonder he's half bonkers.
  • tennisgolfbolltennisgolfboll Member Posts: 457
    I sort of agree. The EE are amazing because of the fixes and making the bg 1 and bg 2 the same.

The new content is decent at best however. But it can be skipped mostly. But i cant stand neeras auto encounter in bg 2. And she says she knows me. Auto encounter and she says she knows me. I dont think a single npc except imoen has this as they all can be skipped
  • DullSkullTheSecondDullSkullTheSecond Member Posts: 243
    I did the new quest once for the story and the rest of the time for the very powerful items they offer.
  • SchneidendSchneidend Member Posts: 3,190
    If you want difficult encounters, Hexxat's quests pit you against some serious business, and you get to rob tombs of ancient Asiatic dudes.