Skip to content

Additional roleplaying and flavor text added to the game

JaysamaJaysama Member Posts: 66
edited August 2012 in Archive (Feature Requests)
The first game I ever played in the DnD universe was Torment. I've never played anything like it and it blew me away. I eventually got ahold of the Baldurs Gate games and since they were so awesome I didn't particularly miss the descriptive text. (90% of the text in BG was dialogue).

I would love to see additional chunks of text added all throughout the game. Detailed descriptions of every area you walk into, people you meet, things you might see in the distance.

I understand the game is close to release and this would take a massive amount of time, but if anyone would consider attempting to add something like this I would love to volunteer to do all the work I could! I have lots of spare time and I've been roleplaying for many years and I think I could make the game a lot more fun for a lot of people interested in something like this.

Comments

• JalilyJalily Member Posts: 4,681
    I'd love this!
  • JaysamaJaysama Member Posts: 66
    Jalily said:

I'd love this!

Thank you for supporting!

Isn't it strange that Baldur's Gate is so focused on dialogue? It's hard to complain because they did everything right, but anyone who loves roleplaying wants more, more, and more!

• SneakyDumplingSneakyDumpling Member Posts: 6
    A great place to start Jaysama if you want something like this, is the FR novels which center upon the protagonist from BG. Whilst you don't get to play as charname and make your own decisions. I thought the books did a pretty good job of expanding on the story a bit and making it more immersive (as books tend to do).

I don't know if you have read them but I enjoyed them quite a bit.

On the plus side I imagine that once BG EE is released it will prompt a flurry of new and old modders to begin cranking stuff out. And it is possible that someone will begin work on a text based RP addition.

A great place to start Jaysama if you want something like this, is the FR novels which center upon the protagonist from BG. Whilst you don't get to play as charname and make your own decisions. I thought the books did a pretty good job of expanding on the story a bit and making it more immersive (as books tend to do).

I don't know if you have read them but I enjoyed them quite a bit.

On the plus side I imagine that once BG EE is released it will prompt a flurry of new and old modders to begin cranking stuff out. And it is possible that someone will begin work on a text based RP addition.

I sure hope so! I think it would be so much fun! I remember playing Planescape Torment and kept thinking "It's only the beginning of the game, once I get into the meat of it the developers will get lazy and the text will begin to get dull." Oh how wrong I was! The entire game is such a treat! I can't wait to see something similiar created for the Baldur's Gate series!
  • WardWard Member Posts: 1,305
    edited August 2012
    Since BG is set is a 'medieval' world (many people here would disagree and flame, but it is what it is right?), it's not very necessary for descriptions on atmosphere. Torment is a game where the setting is unrelatable to the real world and therefore you need a base to generally understand it.

Baldur's Gate is just a game with swords and castles, the setting is pretty unconfusing.

Posted a suggestion for item descriptions to be more educational, to give details on creation, use and historical fact (especially for weapons and armour), but nobody seemed to like the idea, only three.

I'd be nice if more things in the game had that 'question mark' symbol. You click on it and it gives you some info, they could use that on more objects.
  • DukeOfSuffolkDukeOfSuffolk Member Posts: 22
    I totally agree with @Ward. I can see some areas having a bit more description, like PS:T, but for the most part it is all castles and swords. The question mark descriptions are a great medium to implement more 'visuals,' which I think would be amazing.

If I could add anything, a description of important people might be a nice touch. A description of, let's say, some of the bandit camp leaders, such as adding scars, or Elminster could be interesting and would be impossible on the doll itself. Occasionally you get this in the beginning of the dialogue.
    I'm sorry your opinions don't allign with mine, but I don't see how you would oppose this.

First of all, I plan on doing as much of the work as I possibly can, not just asking for it. I would really be interested in turning this into a part time job. (Not just lazily requesting this)

Second, I'm asking for more content to the game, not differant content. Nothing is being changed, just added so I can't see how this could possibly be disliked. (Please understand that I'm making the assumption that this is a feature with an on/off in the menu. Nobody would be forced to do something they don't like.)

Third, keep in mind that it was a bold change in the genre. Baldur's Gate games did nothing but add the white text on screen that described something briefly, and was rather rare. If you played Planescape Torment you'd understand the differance I'm talking about. I enjoy all the games incredibly so, but when people ask me about Torment I tend to describe it as "playing a virtual book" since you're so busy reading most of the time. It's amazing and I'm sad that there are so few games that went this route.

Lastly, DukeOfSuffolk, you say that as if the world is boring or bland. I respectfully disagree, but would like to draw your attention to the potential of mods and how many opportunities of amazingness a generic feature like this would add to future player creations for this game. It's already been mentioned that this enhanced edition is going to be mod friendly so adding features that work more like tools (such as this) are beneficial to everyone!