Skip to content

Under dark beholders

What does it mean when a character completely disappears from the lineup during a fight? I'm fighting Gauths and beholders and two of my guys just disappeared. If I click on the button on the right that shows names and positions, it tells me Keldorn and Minsc are there but I can't see them or any of their equipment. Is there a way to get them back, or should I reload? I can't look back in the dialogue because I left the dungeon to get scrolls to try to do something.

Comments

• HeindrichHeindrich Member, Moderator Posts: 2,959
    They have been imprisoned. It is a very high level spell that can only be resolved by a high level spell called Freedom.

Keldorn and Minsc are not permanently dead, but they will be trapped there permanently unless you get a Freedom scroll.
    MoomintrollJuliusBorisovlolien
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    edited October 2014
    Elder Orbs have both Imprisonment and Maze available. If they still appear on the right hand side (with portraits) they got mazed (and from the sounds of things that is what happened). If their portraits are gone then they were imprisoned (which in the circumstances doesn't sound like what happened).

Maze's duration is dependent upon their intelligence. This is how intelligence affects its duration.

Intelligence of Target — Time trapped in maze
    under 3 — 2d4 turns
    3 to 5 — 1d4 turns
    6 to 8 — 5d4 rounds
    9 to 11 — 4d4 rounds
    12 to 14 — 3d4 rounds
    15 to 17 — 2d4 rounds
    18 and up — 1d4 rounds

1 round = 6 seconds
    1 turn (same as 10 rounds) = 60 seconds.

In this case Minsc has 8 intelligence. So he is going to be stuck there for anywhere between 5 to 20 rounds. This means 30 seconds to 2 minutes of real life (unpaused gameplay) time.

Keldorn has 12 intelligence. So he should be stuck for anywhere between 18 seconds and 24 seconds (if that isn't happening then its a bug).

A freedom scroll will free them regardless of whether or not they were mazed or imprisoned. However if they were mazed then you likely can't leave the area (to pick one up) until they return.
    MoomintrollJuliusBorisov
  • GoturalGotural Member Posts: 1,229
    If their portraits are still here, they aren't imprisonned but mazed instead I think. An imprisonned character should have his portrait gone from the UI.
    elminsterJuliusBorisov
  • HeindrichHeindrich Member, Moderator Posts: 2,959
    @elminster‌
    I assumed that he meant Imprisoned because if his characters were Mazed, they'd return pretty quickly and it shouldn't be an issue as long as he won the battle. Also he mentioned "disappeared from lineup", and I think "clicked on the button on the right that shows position and names" refers to the equivalent of the tab key for the Ipad version of the game.
    elminsterlolien
    edited October 2014
    That could very well be then. It would make more sense since Elder Orbs (from a script standpoint) are supposed to Imprison you before they maze you. The easiest way to tell is if you can leave the area without Minsc and Keldorn.
  • Lord_TansheronLord_Tansheron Member Posts: 4,211
    edited October 2014
    If you're having trouble getting them back...

There's a camp of duergar near the southern edge of the Underdark, close to where you first enter, that sell Freedom scrolls. That will revert Imprisonment on characters if you cast the scroll at the location where they were imprisoned.
    JuliusBorisov
  • mythladymythlady Member Posts: 37
    Thanks -- yes, their portraits did disappear. I can get the Freedom scrolls and come back -- I think you're saying that this isn't just going to time out, the way that Maze does. Because the portraits were gone, I couldn't look at what was wrong with them. Yes, I'm playing on the iPad. Thanks.
    HeindrichelminsterJuliusBorisov
    Imprisonment is permanent, yes. It does not expire, it only ends when Freedom is cast in the vicinity of an imprisoned NPC.

There may be other imprisoned NPCs in the game for you to find... Usually near where you find Freedom scrolls...
    elminsterDreadKhanJuliusBorisov
  • DreadKhanDreadKhan Member Posts: 3,857
    This is why I send Korgan in Hulk Mode to kill beholders whenever possible.

It might have helped to berserk Minsc btw, I think he's immune to imprisonment.
    Thanks. I was trying to have Jaheira reflecting spells back to them and Imoen and Keldorn shooting arrows and crossbow bolts, but somehow the formation got away from me. :)
    edited October 2014
    DreadKhan said:

It might have helped to berserk Minsc btw, I think he's immune to imprisonment.

The immunities it provides are against charm, panic, sleep, confusion, stun, maze, level drain, hold, and feeblemind. So no Imprisonment protection.
    Post edited by elminster on
    JuliusBorisov
  • abacusabacus Member Posts: 1,307
    elminster said:

Maze's duration is dependent upon their intelligence. This is how intelligence affects its duration.

Intelligence of Target — Time trapped in maze
    under 3 — 2d4 turns
    3 to 5 — 1d4 turns
    6 to 8 — 5d4 rounds
    9 to 11 — 4d4 rounds
    12 to 14 — 3d4 rounds
    15 to 17 — 2d4 rounds
    18 and up — 1d4 rounds

1 round = 6 seconds
    1 turn (same as 10 rounds) = 60 seconds.

I really like that there's a certain level of stupid that finds it particularly easy to escape from the maze...
    simples
    abacus said:

I really like that there's a certain level of stupid that finds it particularly easy to escape from the maze...

Don't confuse turns and rounds ;) 1 turn = 10 rounds. It really is entirely linear, the less INT the longer you stay trapped.
    abacuselminsterJuliusBorisov
  • abacusabacus Member Posts: 1,307

abacus said:

Don't confuse turns and rounds ;) 1 turn = 10 rounds. It really is entirely linear, the less INT the longer you stay trapped.
    Ah... You're right... I misread.
    Darn shame... I love the idea of the average joe wandering around lost whilst the dumb brute blunders out!
    Okay, I've gotten Minsc back, it turned out that he was petrified. But I've tried having imoen use the scroll where it says Keldorn is, and nothing happens. It seems like she's not targeting anything.
    edited October 2014
    At this point I've tried the scroll many times in the general vicinity but nothing. Is there any other reason why
    Keldorn would not be visible? Actually, there were mind flayers in the group too, so it may be their kind of damage.
  • DreadKhanDreadKhan Member Posts: 3,857
    Mindflayers eat brains and stun things, I don't think they cast Imprisonment or Maze. Or petrification.

Korgan is a good NPC to deal with this kind of enemy imho, especially if you skipped the Shield of Balduran.
    JuliusBorisov
    I have the shield. I guess I have to just bite the bullet and go back -- I don't think I'm getting Keldorn back. But I had them defeated!
    JuliusBorisov
  • ambrennanambrennan Member Posts: 173
    Beholders spam petrification and damage spells; if you fail a save the character gets removed from the party (possibly messing up quests so you almost certainly will want to reload if this happens) - and if they take any damage whatsoever, the stone statue is shattered making it completely impossible to get the character back.
    JuliusBorisovDreadKhan