Skip to content

Attention Parents! Academic survey for child game modders

AdaaxAdaax Member Posts: 1
edited October 2014 in Off-Topic
I am posting here to let you know about a survey we are conducting on kids, gaming and creativity. The survey is being conducted out of the University of Toronto by a research team led by Dr. Sara M. Grimes, as part of the “Playing at Making” project. It is designed to find out more about some of the cool things kids aged 12 years and under are doing and making with digital games---like designing their own characters, creating their own servers on Minecraft, or even “modifying” existing game programming.

We are interested in reaching as diverse a population as possible for this particular survey, and want to make sure that parents and kids from various different backgrounds, abilities, and contexts hear about the survey and have a chance to participate. The survey has a part to be answered by kids, and a part to be answered by parents, so participating will likely lead to some enjoyable and insightful family discussions as well.

You can find out more about the survey by clicking on the following link: https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/H6RLKZ7 As you will see, the survey itself starts with a fairly elaborate information page, which explains the aims of the survey, as well as all associated ethical considerations.

You can also find out more about the Playing at Making project on our research blog: http://playingatmaking.com

I am also happy to provide any additional information you might like to have about the survey or the larger “Playing at Making” project, and/or to connect you with the lead researcher, Dr. Grimes (sara.grimes@utoronto.ca), if you have any concerns.

Sincerely,

Matthew Wells
Post edited by Dee on
elminsterJuliusBorisovNimranAristillius

Comments

• DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
    Just to let everyone know, Matthew has cleared this post with me. I realize (hope?) that we don't have anyone under the age of 13 frequenting this forum, but for any members who have children, if you want to spend a few minutes with your kids filling out the survey it would be a big help.

I encourage parents to be vigilant of the information children submit or view on the internet, so if you do wish to show this survey to your children I recommend going through it with them. There's a part at the end that's specifically for parents, too, so if you're not already doing so, this is an excellent opportunity to engage your children on the subject of video games.
    elminsterJuliusBorisovNimran
  • MathsorcererMathsorcerer Member Posts: 3,037
    Our daughter is 13 and plays some of our games--including BGEE and BG2EE--so we'll check out the survey this evening.
    NimranAristilliusJuliusBorisov