Skip to content

Party Comp. and Random Questions

These are the people who for sure are staying in my party :

PC: Fighter/Mage- I'm building him for mostly to buff up with magic, then melee, but also other random magic stuff depending on the battle. RP wise, I'm playing the game as NG so I'd only pick pocket against merchants that seem greedy or bad in some way with Jan and is why I'm not picking the un-redeemable NPCs. I'll have him wielding halberds.

Valygar: I've never taken him before and I want a backstabber w/o going thief or part thief PC. I'm also interested in how his character develops RP wise. By the time I get to ToB, I might replace him with Sarevok since backstabbing won't be as useful. Is that right? When I melee with him, I figure armor of faith with the easthaven defender in the offhand would work well with celestial fury in the other.

Viconia: Power wise, I think Anomen is a better choice just because he's a duel class, but I've never taken Viconia before and I like the idea of turning her to not be evil and doing the romance. And in a pinch if something goes wrong I might could use her as back up figher after buffing then using that holy power spell I think. The one giving her fighter thaco and setting strength to 18/00 beyond the obvious ways of using a cleric.

Cernd: I like Druids a lot and I see a lot of tanking potential for his werewolf form. I figure if I ironskin him, give him some AC reducing items and further beef up his elemental resistances with items, he will be a beast tank in werewolf form especially against creature dealing lots of elemental damage. So after I pester mages with insects and send in summons for fodder and crowd control he can join in while other flank the foe he's on since thaco will be an issue. Why not Jaheira? I want a druid that gets level 7 spells in SOA and the ability to summon Elemental Princes at will to work with either a deva or planetar sooner rather than later. I'll probably have to give him the girdle of fortitude to make this strategy effective.

Jan: I'll use him for mostly debuffing, invisibility spamming valygar so he can keep backstabbing in the middle of combat, and pestering with stuff like malison and chaos, laying traps, detecting illusions for battle, and non-combat thief stuff.

Neera: I have yet to try her and my understanding is that class wise and personality she'll provide some comedic relief. For battle, I have her be the deathbringer and causing the most damage.

I get that I'm not melee heavy so I was thinking I'll have to use lots of skeletons and fire elementals and later the M. Swords and some specialty summons mages get. For crowd control, I'm a big fan of webbing, AoE spells, pestering spells, summons, while range attacking to add insult to injury, then coming in with what melee power I'll have. I figure for my PC, I'll have to memorize that spell that can make me immune to certain schools of magic to make me immune to divination. I figure that spell will be instrumental in taking down liches and demiliches by making myself immune to abjuration (maze and imprisonment) and I think necromancy (different death spells) so long as I have a +4 weapon or better.

I'm playing the game on normal and have only beaten the game once way back when so does anyone see any major flaws with my reasoning or have suggestions for how I should play this party?

Also, will this be an interesting party set up from a RP perspective?

Comments

• ElendarElendar Member Posts: 831
    edited October 2014
    Major Flaw: Cernd, weakest NPC in the game. He could be made useful as a caster type, but not so much as a tank. Your Fighter/Mage will be a much better tank and pretty much the only one of your characters capable of taking a hit.
  • BlackravenBlackraven Member Posts: 3,486
    F/M is one of the most powerful (multi)classes. Your PC will be both an excellent tank and damage dealer (I'd dualwield with him). Like you I'd mostly have him memorize buffs (blur, haste, stoneskin, improved invisibility, spell immunity which allows you immunity from Divination etc) that make him a better meleer. You can leave the fireworks and the nasty effect spells to Jan and Neera. Draw aggro with your PC, have foes try in vain to hurt you while you, Valygar and Cernd in (greater) werewolf form do hurt them. Viconia is a great 'tank' against mages thanks to her high innate magic resistance (her MR could even be increased to 100). She also has a couple of useful buffs for you and your comrades, including Protection from Evil 10' Radius, Chaotic Commands, and summons of course. The same goes for Cernd btw.
    I think you won't be superdependent on summons though. Your party looks pretty kick*ss to me already...

RP-wise I like the fact that your party unites different personalities and that it's original in that it's not used by many people. You'll get some good banter, and you could also let your imagination add to the experience.