Skip to content

Interview with Phillip Daigle

mch202mch202 Member Posts: 1,455
Phillip Daigle @ truepcgaming.com August 21, enjoy! :)

http://truepcgaming.com/2012/08/21/baldurs-gate-enhanced-edition-interview/

Comments

• WardWard Member Posts: 1,305
    I shall now fantastically summon @PhillipDaigle just in case he misses his interview debut (unless he got one before). :P
  • CheesebellyCheesebelly Member Posts: 1,727
    I open the link but it doesn't find anything! :o I mean, it gives me a page not found error!
  • MedillenMedillen Member Posts: 632
    Not much new info, but good jokes :D All hail mister Daigle, aka mass-hamster-murderer-terrified-by-bg-fangirls !
  • TanthalasTanthalas Member Posts: 6,738
    Thanks for finding the interview
  • mch202mch202 Member Posts: 1,455
    edited August 2012
    Anyone recognize the hidden portrait in this picture?? or this is a new one?

and who is the girl in the picture to the right? ;-)

• RazorRazor Member Posts: 436
    @PhillipDaigle Quote:
    "Are you nervous as to what the fan reaction will be given that Baldur’s Gate is a such a beloved series?

I’m terrified beyond belief. Baldur’s Gate is a sacred icon for many gamers, and any meddling could be considered heresy. We’re doing our best to remain true to the original spirit of the game while at the same time adding new and interesting content, but I know you can’t please everyone."

This made me smile :) That was my first reaction some month ago but right now I'am very happy with what I'am seeing. And we are getting expansion/dlc, all in second edition, its a dream come true.
  • PhillipDaiglePhillipDaigle Member Posts: 654
    Slight correction: I am not the head of Beamdog. I am more akin to the collarbone, armpit, or perhaps back of the knees and ears.
  • BjjorickBjjorick Member Posts: 1,208
    @phillipdiagle if i was a better coder, maybe i could be chest hair of beamdog.....
  • KenyonKenyon Member Posts: 142
    edited August 2012
    @PhillipDaigle You are a funny man. Tell me some of your jokes made it into the game.
  • TruePCGamingTruePCGaming Member Posts: 2
    @PhillipDaigle

Fixed your role. I hope Trent does not send you to bed without dinner tonight for pretending to be the head dude. ;)

Seriously, sorry about that.
  • ShinShin Member Posts: 2,345
    Will old saves from the original games be compatible with Baldur’s Gate: Enhanced Edition?

I don’t believe so. We’re making some structural changes to the engine that prevent this from happening.
    So does this mean that saves from BG:EE will not import into present-day BG2 no matter how you play it? And does it mean that present-day mods will not be compatible with BG:EE?
  • AndreaColomboAndreaColombo Member Posts: 5,527
    Present-day saves from BG2 will not work in BG:EE. The viceversa is implied, I believe.
  • NathanNathan Member Posts: 1,007
    Shin said:

And does it mean that present-day mods will not be compatible with BG:EE?

Present day mods will require some updating by the mod authors to account for the slightly different structure and layout of BG:EE including some of the existing resources that have been changed by other mods and the like, but otherwise they should be compatible. Mostly.

The stuff that won't be compatible right off the bat would be anything that requires an executable patch. That stuff was some master hackery on the part of the authors that likely won't apply to BG:EE (and plus, if it's a good change to make then.. just tell us and we can patch it in in code).
  • purebredcornpurebredcorn Member Posts: 77
    Thanks for the link.
  • StrangeCatStrangeCat Member Posts: 39
    pretty cool. But you know your PR was pretty bad. It had no creativity to capture an audience and only
    played on the name of the Game your Enhancing. You didn't even make a big deal about your new people working on the game, the pictures you released from the game put your project in a bad light on all forums for role playing games.

I am sure in the end it will all turn out ok.

Still I have seen better Promotion material for a game on Kick Starter.
    In fact it is the PR that makes most Kick Starter projects a success.
  • RazorRazor Member Posts: 436
    edited August 2012
    @StrangeCat: PR... I have no intention of dragging the subject to this thread but when you release the game on Steam and Steam puts up those promotional pre-orders announcements sometimes with bonus, that is a very simple and strong PR. If this option is left out then I think they are doing what they can, a forum, some pcgamer articles. They can't, doesnt make sense to waste too much on PR because word of mouth is the main PR I think.

For example MDK HD hit steam with almost zero visibility (compared to other games there) it must have been beamdog choice... not sure if that hurt sales or not.
  • StrangeCatStrangeCat Member Posts: 39
    They probably did as much as they could under agreement. I won't comment on it any more I don't want to derail things.