Skip to content

Regarding importing. Potentially some BGI spoilers here.

So I'm coming up on the end of Baldur's Gate and I had a couple of questions about how importing a character works.

If I bring in a character will they just be brought up to a starting level or will they be just the same as they were in BG1?

Also, since I suspect I'm approaching the last chapter of BG1 I was wondering about the expansion content are you meant to do that after you beat the last boss (can you?) or before?

Comments

• atcDaveatcDave Member Posts: 2,146
    The last boss ends the game, so you need to do all expansion content before you face him.

Transferring to BG2EE should let you keep your scores, proficiencies and experience total. But only for your PC. The NPCs are all pre-defined.
    abacusGespenst
  • GespenstGespenst Member Posts: 31
    atcDave said:

The last boss ends the game, so you need to do all expansion content before you face him.

Thanks, I suspected it might be like that.

Another thing, I've got 1EE on Steam there wouldn't be any issues with importing if I got the second one from GoG would there?
  • atcDaveatcDave Member Posts: 2,146
    As long as they're both EE I think it should be fine. You have to manually move your final save from BG1 over to your BG2 save folder anyway. Unless there's something proprietary I don't know about it should just be a matter of following the paths from the one game to the other.
    Gespenst
    edited October 2014
    Excellent. Thank you.

...huh. Apparently I once bought Baldur's Gate on GoG.

In 2011.

And installed it on this computer.

I didn't have this computer in 2011. That means I bought it. Probably installed it. Bought a new PC. Installed it again and still didn't play it.

I'm just taking procrastination to a whole other level at this point.

That's not the weirdest thing I've done. I actually own three different physical copies of Neverwinter Nights. I "lent" one to a friend (in that he took it from me and I didn't stop him because I didn't notice) and didn't get it back for a year. Then I bought another one because I thought I'd lost the first one. Then lost the second one. Then forgot I had the first one back next time I wanted to play it so I bought a third copy. I also have one digital version. That I know of. Probably five in total.

It's a good thing I missed out on Kickstarting project Eternity otherwise I'd have probably backed it six times without noticing.
    ArdulSoren_The_Wild
  • MerinaMerina Member Posts: 303
    atcDave said:

It's a very sudden end as it also terminates the fight against any remaining enemies and returns you to the game's front screen quickly. A "Final Save" game is created automatically, which you may copy to your BG2EE save directory. You can't load that save game into BG2EE as it crashes the game, but you may choose to import from it when starting a new game/character.
    atcDave said:

Transferring to BG2EE should let you keep your scores, proficiencies and experience total. But only for your PC. The NPCs are all pre-defined.

It is worth reading on the web about which items you need to have in your BG1EE character's inventory, so they reappear in BG2EE.
    RAM021Gespenst
    edited October 2014
    Merina said:

It's a very sudden end as it also terminates the fight against any remaining enemies and returns you to the game's front screen quickly.

And thank goodness it did.

http://i.imgur.com/LZzEMWP.jpg

It was a damned nice thing let me tell you!

Mostly because I never figured out how to resist confusion causing spells. Dynaheir really saved us there when she hit him with every single one of her Minute Meteors.

I just realised that Imoen wasn't stunned either. Huh.
    RAM021
  • TehCerealKillerTehCerealKiller Member Posts: 56
    Dat party.
    I don't know how anyone stands Jaheira's moaning and groaning. I kill her then remove her from the party. I don't like Khalid much either as a 17 str on a fighter is unacceptable to me. I like Minsc Kivan Yeslic Imoen Dynaheir and I'm usually either a Fighter or a Pally.
  • GallengerGallenger Member Posts: 400
    You can also just load up that final saved game and export the character and drag that file to BG2:EE if you want rather than move or copy the whole save. There are some items that transfer over - but only a few are of any particular value relative to what will be put in by default. If you're *very* under-leveled, I think the game will give you a bit of a boost - but generally that's not a real problem (if memory serves the default for BG2 is somewhere in the 7-9 range).