Skip to content

moral choice- you got fooled aka. hells trials

trinittrinit Member Posts: 705
in other words- did you ever pick the "wrong" moral choice thinking it is the "right" one? what situation was it?

thread title relates to "wrong" choice of mine. i passed all of the hells trials except the pride. i frequently got the neutral evil alignment (as opposed to neutral good one) and i did not get what i was doing wrong until i checked the walkthrough. as it turns out, i should remain humble and question the reason for every battle, remaining level-headed about my power in the game. i though it was quite interesting and informative regarding my own personality.

eloquent demon with deep, sane voice, seemingly empathizing with your situation and presenting you with your own might and accomplishment, simply got the better of me every time. it really had me thinking about my own pride, seeing how blatantly blind i was to its "lure". still, should i become evil after failing just one test?

how about you? did game ever put you in a doubtful position? do you think some of the choices are unfair regarding representation of alignment or you got punked also?

Comments

• Metal_HurlantMetal_Hurlant Member Posts: 324
    I'm ashamed to say that I had and still have the Prima game guide and took the best, mostly OP, options. :(
  • SilenceSilence Member Posts: 437
    edited August 2012
    I find most morality in video games can be pretty heavy-handed morality. Comic books and TV also do the same thing and it can be annoying.

The good thing is that this practice is becoming less common with time. In Mass Effect, for instance, it's no longer good vs. evil, but paragon vs. renegade.
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,316
    I've never gotten fooled, but I've never understood the one test where either you lose an attribute or a party member. Considering that party member can be brought back to life I've always felt like your decision loses seriousness. I mean I understand your character wouldn't know that when they made that decision, but to be honest since this is all about me anyways unless my character is such that I can't become an evil alignment (Paladin, etc) or I am roleplaying a very noble good character I tend to just pick the "evil" option.

The part that did fool me the first time I beat the game was that I did this as a Paladin (my first full playthough of all the games), and early in TOB I noticed my change in status and had to go back and redo the trials.
  • lansounetlansounet Member Posts: 1,182

I'm ashamed to say that I had and still have the Prima game guide and took the best, mostly OP, options. :(

Same here :D And the poster I had with it has remained on the wall above my screen through 2 movings.

• DrugarDrugar Member Posts: 1,566
    On harder difficulties, the partymember explodes, nullifying resurrect. That still makes it an easy choice, as nobody likes seeing their #2 explode right before the final battle.

The hell tests are heavy handed, narrowminded and stupid. The mod to enhance them make them a little better, but they still irk me.
  • QuartzQuartz Member Posts: 3,853
    edited August 2012
    I didn't really like the Hell tests. They struck me as very silly. They weren't *bad*, but they weren't good either. Like, first off I went the noble route and lost attributes, then loaded the game and tried killing my character. Oh what do you know I can revive them. Wow, that ruins the entire point.

Oh, and the Blackrazor sword ... I could give it to the djinni or keep it for myself and kill him. Umm, duh it's a freaking awesome sword, I'm keeping it!!
  • WonKoWonKo Member Posts: 72
    The first time I played them I found them to be pretty amazing. Also completely unexpected. I believed that I was going to be battling Irenicus and finishing him up in the Elven City.

Instead I was gifted this extra piece of content with seemingly meaningful quandries. Though perhaps silly, I couldn't bring myself to kill a party member even to save my stats. It just didn't seem true to the character i'd played through the series so far. I did of course load and try it with killing my companion but couldn't go through with it as it seemed to be a really low act.
    It was an interesting move really by the designers to juxtapose a player's investment in their virtual Avatar with the (possible) emotional investment with the rest of the player's party.

In a way that final set of moral choices was a clever method for the player to reaffirm their character before dealing with their nemesis. No matter which options you choose, you make a series of choices which reaffirm the type of person your PC is. After having done so you can proudly denounce your enemy and send him to hell.
  • Humanoid_TaifunHumanoid_Taifun Member Posts: 1,063
    WonKo said:

In a way that final set of moral choices was a clever method for the player to reaffirm their character before dealing with their nemesis. No matter which options you choose, you make a series of choices which reaffirm the type of person your PC is.

The problem is that this is not true. Even Chaotic Evil characters have to choose all the good options in order to maintain their alignment. A single evil answer sets you to Neutral Evil. (this also means that NE is not really tested at all and can just choose whichever rewards look best)
    I agree though that it is quite a fun addition to the game - provided you can somehow roleplay the route you're being shoehorned into.

I personally never got fooled by the tests, as I found the good answers to be rather obvious. I did feel a bit betrayed with an evil MC though (on the 6. playthrough or so) when I found out in the middle of ToB that his alignment had changed.
  • DjimmyDjimmy Member Posts: 749
    Drugar said:

On harder difficulties, the partymember explodes, nullifying resurrect. That still makes it an easy choice, as nobody likes seeing their #2 explode right before the final battle.

The hell tests are heavy handed, narrowminded and stupid. The mod to enhance them make them a little better, but they still irk me.

I don't think the tests are narrowminded and stupid. The options are clear, you are either selfish or selfless. It is arguable whether selfless acts are highly selfish, due to the pleasure you get from doing "good" for others. Whatever the motives, if you don't lose anything(and even if you do sometimes) by doing "good" or "evil", choose good. I believe people can live in symbiosis but we all have a long way to go...
  • DJRankineDJRankine Member Posts: 5
    Am I the only one who pauses the game quickly after the companion is taken, then made them run to the 'good' door with haste? No death, no points lost. From a role-play perspective, I justify it as my PC being smarter than the demon hehe.
  • WonKoWonKo Member Posts: 72

WonKo said:

In a way that final set of moral choices was a clever method for the player to reaffirm their character before dealing with their nemesis. No matter which options you choose, you make a series of choices which reaffirm the type of person your PC is.

The problem is that this is not true. Even Chaotic Evil characters have to choose all the good options in order to maintain their alignment. A single evil answer sets you to Neutral Evil. (this also means that NE is not really tested at all and can just choose whichever rewards look best)
    I agree though that it is quite a fun addition to the game - provided you can somehow roleplay the route you're being shoehorned into.

I personally never got fooled by the tests, as I found the good answers to be rather obvious. I did feel a bit betrayed with an evil MC though (on the 6. playthrough or so) when I found out in the middle of ToB that his alignment had changed.
    Hmm, never really took much notice of the alignment tab. Always a tricky thing to get right.

• CheesebellyCheesebelly Member Posts: 1,727
    I didn't get fooled but... DAT SWORD!!! 8O
  • GrammarsaladGrammarsalad Member Posts: 2,582
    edited August 2012
    @Eliminster

Ethical theory is generally* grouped into two major categories: consequentialist and deontic. These can be seen as two extreme characterizations generally held intuitions of what makes an action right or wrong.

The first, the one you seem to be talking about, is broadly construed as "relativist"while the latter is "universal".

The conflict between these views can be seen in an example: Imagine I push a large man in the path of a train to save five others (lets just assume I know they will be saved by this action and I also know that I an not large enough to save them by jumping on the tracks myself). We can ask the question: does the fact that I saved five justify the murder of an innocent person? If murder of an innocent person is always wrong in every situation--if it is a universal law--then no. but if the consequence of my action justifies the action then it's permissible and perhaps even the only right thing to do.

I don't think it's exactly deontic but d&d is probably more deontic than consequentialist "meta ethically" speaking.
  • Sir_CarnifexSir_Carnifex Member Posts: 47
    Quartz said:

Oh, and the Blackrazor sword ... I could give it to the djinni or keep it for myself and kill him. Umm, duh it's a freaking awesome sword, I'm keeping it!!

Tip. Give it back to him, then pickpocket him. Win-win situation!
  • DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
    I kind of feel like some of these trials would be more compelling if you didn't have the feeling that you were interacting with facades. For me, most of the trials seemed silly not because the choices were obvious, but rather because the entire test - along with the creatures or NPCs involved - were fabricated solely for the purposes of that test.

The "take an attribute hit or your friend dies" test would be better represented as "Either take an attribute hit, or kill this innocent person we've plucked from the street."

In fact, most of the trials would be better that way. After all, you are a child of the god of murder; it seems strange to me that none of the trials involve actual murder.
  • XavioriaXavioria Member Posts: 874
    Personally I always thought that the tests should have had all seven sins... But maybe that's cliche...

The test I've always hated was the nymph cloak one (I think that was greed). I wanted that cloak but every time I took it I ended up as neutral evil. A big issue I had with these tests is the fact that you can't go from evil to good or either of those to neutral. I never thought that the tests were that stupid, except the kill your friend one...

I think a more lasting permanent solution should be offered there. @drugar said that on harder difficulties, the team member IS permanently exploded so I think I may play the game on a harder difficulty to get desired results.
  • trinittrinit Member Posts: 705
    it would be great to have a neutral solutions to all the trials. neutral as in THIRD option not a middle ground between the two extremes.
  • SallparadiseSallparadise Member Posts: 94
    My character felt that morality label from these tests was mostly pointless and empty as it was reinforcing emptyless labels.

Then cheerfully and for no apparent purpose I gambled away everything I had on the roll of a single die
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,316
    edited August 2012

@Eliminster

Ethical theory is generally* grouped into two major categories: consequentialist and deontic. These can be seen as two extreme characterizations generally held intuitions of what makes an action right or wrong.

The first, the one you seem to be talking about, is broadly construed as "relativist"while the latter is "universal".

The conflict between these views can be seen in an example: Imagine I push a large man in the path of a train to save five others (lets just assume I know they will be saved by this action and I also know that I an not large enough to save them by jumping on the tracks myself). We can ask the question: does the fact that I saved five justify the murder of an innocent person? If murder of an innocent person is always wrong in every situation--if it is a universal law--then no. but if the consequence of my action justifies the action then it's permissible and perhaps even the only right thing to do.

I don't think it's exactly deontic but d&d is probably more deontic than consequentialist "meta ethically" speaking.

Ugh. Thanks. You just reminded me of why I dropped the ethics class I had in university.
  • GrandeCGrandeC Member Posts: 26
    Does anyone else remember that in the release version of the game, pre-patches, if you did the Sarevok trial last then your choices in the others did not have any effect on your alignment? I always completed them in this manner, not knowing any better, and it was years before I even knew that an alignment change could occur.