Skip to content

Another "Rate my Party" Thread

sorcerinsorcerin Member Posts: 58
Hello, everyone,

Looking forward to my first playthrough of IWDEE. Could the veterans take a look at my party and offer some feedback? (Background: I've played through BG, BG:EE, BG2, BG2:EE, NWN)

1. Human Undead Hunter (long sword/shield)

2. Human Berserker (long sword/mace)

3. Human Fighter (3)-> Druid (scimitar/dagger/shield/sling)

4. Human Fighter (3)->Cleric (hammer/flail/shield/sling)

5. Human/Elf Dragon Disciple (dagger/darts)

6. Halfling fighter/thief (long bow/short sword)

I'm not a fan of bards. I don't expect to take this party through HoF. Will tweak the party I play with before that. I lean a little more toward power-gaming than roleplaying, though not obsessed with optimization.

Specific questions:

1. For #3, will Totemic Druid be superior (due to summons) than the dual-class (metal armor, extra pips)

2. For #4, will one of the cleric kits be superior to the fighter skills?

3. For #6, can a halfling use a longbow? (I think so, but wasn't able to confirm.)

4. Anything else I might consider?

Thanks in advance!

EDIT: Please disregard hyperlinks in the questions. Not sure how that happened.

Comments

• FrogmanFrogman Member Posts: 153
    I love these threads, because it will be my first playthrough of IWD as well. My party looks almost identical to yours, except that I'm buying into the bard hype :)

Undead Hunter - Sword/ Shield
    Dwarf Barbarian - Warhammer / Axe
    Dwarf Priest of Tyr - Flail / Shield
    Half-Elf Druid - Sling / Shield
    Human Bard - Longbow
    Gnome Illusionist/Thief - Shortbow

As you can see, I'll be very interested in the feedback the forum gives you, as it will help me as well!
  • ShynShyn Member Posts: 73
    1. Personally im going with a pure class Avenger. Extra arcane spells is always good. But I dont know about summons. If you want to use your druid as damage dealing frontliner, go F->D. If only tanking is what you want, consider the shapeshifts you could get. The beetle and the water elemental are brilliant tanks.

2. Pass, no expirience so wouldnt know. I'd prefer a pure class, because I dont feel 3 fighter levels add anough oomph to be worth the loss of a kit. But thats just me.

3. Sure they can!

4. Why not Half-Orc Berserker for the 19 str and 19 con? At the loss of.... being human? Unless its for RP-reasons ofc.
  • CutlassJackCutlassJack Member Posts: 493
    The main concern I'd have with the OP's group is not having any healing til level 3. Admittedly its been a long time since I've played the original IWD, so it may not be that big a hardship.

Frogman's group looks more like something I'd go with. Except a Swashbuckler will be my lead guy. And I love bards in IWD so I'm part of the hype. But its true you can manage without. And the bard doesn't really kick into awesome until you get their War Chant song.
  • FrogmanFrogman Member Posts: 153

The main concern I'd have with the OP's group is not having any healing til level 3. Admittedly its been a long time since I've played the original IWD, so it may not be that big a hardship.

Frogman's group looks more like something I'd go with. Except a Swashbuckler will be my lead guy. And I love bards in IWD so I'm part of the hype. But its true you can manage without. And the bard doesn't really kick into awesome until you get their War Chant song.

Wow the swashbuckler is a very interesting choice for lead dog. My concern is that the lack of a helmet would make it pretty tough for him to survive on the front line (as opposed to a pally who can wear plate and helmets). How do you plan to keep your swashie alive?
  • CutlassJackCutlassJack Member Posts: 493
    Frogman said:

Wow the swashbuckler is a very interesting choice for lead dog. My concern is that the lack of a helmet would make it pretty tough for him to survive on the front line (as opposed to a pally who can wear plate and helmets). How do you plan to keep your swashie alive?

I never found the lack of helmet to be a major issue really. Ran a Swashbuckler as the lead of both Baldur's EE with no problem. In my original playthrough of IWD (back when it came out) I faked my own swashie by mixing fighter/thief. Never wore a helmet then either (hated how they looked.)

Certainly not a powergaming choice, but a fun one. And not running in Heart of Fury mode. Undead Hunter is an extremely solid choice for this game though. I've been considering putting one in myself. Depends how much I plan to keep on theme with my group of Buccaneers.
  • sorcerinsorcerin Member Posts: 58
    edited January 2021
    Post edited by sorcerin on
  • MaconaMacona Member Posts: 70
    Hmm, if your only going to have one arcane caster then a full mage might be a better choice than a DD.
  • ZyzzogetonZyzzogeton Member Posts: 526
    edited October 2014
    Normal Sorcerers and Dragon Disciples make for sufficient enough casters, provided the player picks the right spells and even then there's some leeway because of how enemy spellcasters aren't really that good.

So unless the spellcasters in IWD:EE were changed to the spellspammers of BGII, IWD isn't a game where the only Arcane spellcaster in a party is going to have their work cut out for them.

There's really no need to have access to the entire Arcane spellbook.
  • StradlinStradlin Member Posts: 142
    edited October 2014
    Here's what I've been caking up;

Drow Priestess
    Leader of the group, invading scorching lands of surface filth because of reasons. Unsure if I should go with Cleric or Druid. If I recall correctly, Cleric/Druid Multiclass isn't possible? I want spiders, demons and evil stuff. Recommendations?

Guardian of the Priestess
    Drow Kensai/Mage Combination is, as I recall, Imba as all hell, but playing one is so much fun I can't say no.

Haer'Dalis from BG 2 is aboard as well. Because he is awesome.

Solaufein from this very cool BG 2 mod. I hope I manage to find his sound files and such from somewhere. http://weidu.org/main.html#install
    The Mod is here..but sadly I can't figure out how to cannibalize it for his sounds.

Half-orc beast of burden
    For carrying stuff. Unless they've severly re-balanced enemy classes and tweaked difficulty, I fully expect things to be a little too easy for a 6 man party..or for a real 4 man party. So this dude is but a slave who runs around half naked, carries stuff and stays out of trouble.

Half-orc beast of burden 2 - see above!

• ZyzzogetonZyzzogeton Member Posts: 526
    Ranger/Cleric

Although you only gain up to 6th level Druid spells and get them a bit late, only when a Ranger can first memorize spells of a certain level do you unlock Druid spells of that level.

Also no shapeshifting, but you get far superior Ranger combat abilities