Skip to content

Inquisitor or Undead Hunter?

Inquisitor was always the best paladin kit, obviously, but in Icewind Dale there are a lot less debuffs and a lot less wizards with impenetrable barriers. Conversely, there are undead bloody everywhere.

Would this make Undead Hunter the superior kit, or is Inquisitor still better?

Comments

• SceptenarSceptenar Member Posts: 606
    edited October 2014
    Cedeos said:

I did a playthrough with an Inquisitor in the IWDEE beta and most of the time he was melee only. There are no big mage fights like in BG2

That isn't really true, Malavon and the bard in Trials of the Luremaster are both annoying pricks with their teleporting around, particularly Malavon with his unlimited teleportation and the combined cloudkill and web traps all over the area. A good Inquisitor dispel will remove their defenses and you can take them down quick with ranged weapons.

• CedeosCedeos Member Posts: 47
    Hm, to be honest, those two for me were more an annoyance than a threat, nothing compared to the Twisted Rune and Irenicus. And you brought a bard, mage or priest, didn't you?
  • SedSed Member Posts: 790
    Fully agree with @Cedeos‌
    Also played the beta with an Inquisitor and it really didn't come to full use.
    Especially since casting for paladins now go up to 6th level, and you completely miss out on that with Inquisitor.

Doing another play now with Cavalier, but undead hunter is also a solid choice.
  • bob_vengbob_veng Member Posts: 2,308
    cavalier is the best since you can simply turn undead successfully most of the time i think.
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    bob_veng said:

cavalier is the best since you can simply turn undead successfully most of the time i think.

In normal play you might be able to get away with it but you will be a few levels behind a cleric. That said Heart of Fury increases monster levels so it probably won't be much of an option if you are doing a HoF run.
  • Ancalagon44Ancalagon44 Member Posts: 252
    The manual mentions that regular unkitted paladins get immunity to fear at level 3. Does this apply to undead hunters too?

The manual mentions that regular unkitted paladins get immunity to fear at level 3. Does this apply to undead hunters too?

Should be, as it applied to my Inquisitor, as far as I remember.

@elminster is right, in HoF mode Undead Hunter could be an even better choice than Cavalier, considering the amount of undead with so many hit points and high levels.
    It is a pity there is no good aligned equivalent of the blackguard, because it is definitely the best paladin class.
    edited October 2014

It is a pity there is no good aligned equivalent of the blackguard, because it is definitely the best paladin class.

At least he would be a real alternative to the Cavalier. But being evil (too much hassle with spells like Holy Smite, Wall of Moonlight) and on top having no access to Pale Justice rules this class out for me. Unfortunately!

I'm still stuck between the Undead Hunter and the Cavalier.

On the one hand, not having ranged weapons available to the cavalier concerns me because although my paladin will be a front liner, there is a chance that he may have to engage in ranged combat. Also, immunity to fear is a big plus for the cavalier, but then, it looks like the undead hunter may also get this because the true class paladin does.

There are more undead than there are demons and dragons in IWD1 (so I hear), but, demons and dragons are a lot more dangerous than the undead that appear, since there are no liches or vampires. So, in that sense, it might be more helpful to have bonus damage against the more difficult enemies.

The inability to use ranged weapons might be the deciding factor. I don't feel comfortable giving up that flexibility, especially because I have never played IWD1 before.
    The immunity to fear is not the point of the Cavalier as the other Paladins get it as well. But the remove fear ability means more or less immunity to fear for the complete party. You will never run out of this ability as you get it once per level and being resistant to fire, acid and immune to poison also helps a lot.
    So for me it is still Cavalier that rules as I never use ranged tactics with my paladin.
    But if you do or would like to do, this rules this kit out. As opposed to the BG series throwing axes and daggers are no option any more.
    Are there no returning axes or hammers in IWD1? That is a pity. IWD2 had returning bullets +1.

When I play BG2, my Inquisitor almost never uses his crossbow. I suppose I just want the option if I need it. Not sure, will have to think some more.
    edited October 2014
    There is one returning axe quite early in the game, but in IWDEE as opposed to BG(2)EE the Cavalier can't use it as a ranged weapon. The manual states this, too.
    Oh okay, thanks. Makes sense. Got some thinking to do regarding this.
  • JarrakulJarrakul Member Posts: 2,029
    Unless you're soloing, my preference is for the cavalier, specifically because a) poison immunity, b) effective fear immunity for the whole party when you need it, and c) bonus attack and damage when you really need it. The loss of ranged attacks is sad, but you can make up for it with other party members (which is why my opinion changes if you're soloing). Meanwhile, the undead hunter's loss of Lay on Hands actually kind of hurts, as a strongly-scaling fast heal can be pretty useful in the mid-late game.
  • ChowChow Member Posts: 1,192
    Personally I find ranged combat a great deal more appealing in IWD, even to late game, than I did in BG. I loved decking my entire party with bows and letting fly. This is kind of a big point to Undead Hunter's favor in my book.
  • CutlassJackCutlassJack Member Posts: 493
    Chow said:

Personally I find ranged combat a great deal more appealing in IWD, even to late game, than I did in BG. I loved decking my entire party with bows and letting fly.

Its why I've been flipping a coin over having an Archer in my party or not.
  • bob_vengbob_veng Member Posts: 2,308
    why is the loss of ranged attacks such an issue? why not just engage in melee, he's an uber tank after all
  • GloomfrostGloomfrost Member Posts: 261
    any divine casting Paladin would be a better choice then the Inquisitor in this game, Undead Hunter if your soloing.