Skip to content

Neat little option that Cleric/Rangers players might be interested in knowing

elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
In the original IWD cleric/ranger multi-classes and ranger - > cleric dual classes would be limited by whatever level you had for your ranger level in terms of your access to druid spells. In other words You'd have to be a level 6 ranger before you could cast Entangle or a level 12 ranger before you could cast Spike Growth. This was in contrast to how BG1 and 2 handled things.

However, IWDEE gives you the option of allowing cleric/rangers access to all divine spells.

If you go into the baldur.ini file in documents/icewind dale enhanced edition you'll find a line that looks like this

'Game Options', 'Cleric Ranger Spells', '1',

If you change that 1 to a 0 you will get access to all divine spells (as your cleric level allows).
MaconaThe_ReverendJonelethIrenicusronaldoRAM021SpungiDetectiveMittensJuliusBorisovbooinyoureyesGuboMaplelunarFrondShikaojackjackMathsorcererBelgarathMTHManveru123luskanPibaroKenjiNonnahswritercmk24QueegonNukefaceNoobaccavladpenMetaSiegSwifty_MageemashedtatersFenghoang

Comments

• SchneidendSchneidend Member Posts: 3,190
    elminster, y u do dis?
    elminsterJuliusBorisovjackjackgettincrzy
  • GawainBSGawainBS Member Posts: 523
    Hhmm. I adjusted this, and its works fine, but I don't see a difference between 5th and 6th lvl Divine spells of my Ranger/Cleric and my pure Cleric. The lower levels (1,2,3,4) just show the Druid + Cleric spells for my R/C.
  • Lord_TansheronLord_Tansheron Member Posts: 4,211
    That could be because in BG, Rangers only get spells up to lvl 4. Maybe the option muddles things up somehow so you get 1-4 for both but then it stops giving you druid spells?
    That's my initial thought as well. I hope there's a way to add all the Druid spells, though, since the best ones for a meleefighter start at lvl 5-6, no?
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315

That could be because in BG, Rangers only get spells up to lvl 3.

Corrected (perhaps you are thinking Paladins).
    GawainBS said:

Hhmm. I adjusted this, and its works fine, but I don't see a difference between 5th and 6th lvl Divine spells of my Ranger/Cleric and my pure Cleric. The lower levels (1,2,3,4) just show the Druid + Cleric spells for my R/C.

I'm not finding that at all. I've tested it for both a multi-class and a dual class too. What level is your cleric half? You'd have to have them at level 9 or greater in order to gain access to 5th level druid spells (if its a multi-class character than that would mean 450,000xp total (a dual class would obviously vary depending upon when you dual).
    She's very much capable of casting 5th & 6th lvl spells, but only Cleric spells. Lvls 1-4 allow Cleric + Druid, as soon as those levels became available. My character has the same XP as a 17th lvl Bard, btw.
  • smeagolheartsmeagolheart Member Posts: 7,963
    might need to start a new game after changing the setting, test with cheating in XP on a new character.
    jackjack
    edited November 2014

might need to start a new game after changing the setting, test with cheating in XP on a new character.

Not relevant, since it was changed before this character was created. Besides, why would it only affect lvls 1-4 then?
    Post edited by GawainBS on
  • Manveru123Manveru123 Member Posts: 52
    edited November 2014
    I applaud you for this, sir. Thank you.

Should've wrote that earlier honestly :(
    RAM021
  • MrGoodkatMrGoodkat Member Posts: 167
    Does this work with multi-class cleric/rangers as well? Just tried it once I reached Ranger level 6 and it doesn't seem to change anything. Or did they just remove/change a lot of spells in IWD? Afaik 'Miscast Magic' for example was a druid spell in BG2.
  • billygreatbillygreat Member Posts: 66
    It works just fine, my multi R/C just turned lvl 9 cleric/8 ranger and I got 1 slot for lvl 5 spells ( iron skins memorized), druid spells included.
    elminsterjackjack
    edited November 2014
    MrGoodkat said:

Does this work with multi-class cleric/rangers as well? Just tried it once I reached Ranger level 6 and it doesn't seem to change anything. Or did they just remove/change a lot of spells in IWD? Afaik 'Miscast Magic' for example was a druid spell in BG2.

Miscast Magic is accessible by both clerics and druids in BG2.

Like billygreat just said it works for multi-classes (and dual classes for that matter).
    elminster said:

MrGoodkat said:

Miscast Magic is accessible by both clerics and druids in BG2.

Like billygreat just said it works for multi-classes (and dual classes for that matter).
    As pointed out above: no, it does not work properly. I suppose this is a bug then?
    edited November 2014
    You are free to post a bug report about it but its not something I've been able to replicate as an issue (so its not something I can really report).
    How would I go about reporting this?
    edited November 2014
    Go here

http://forum.baldursgate.com/categories/iwd:ee-bugs (you can also find this on the left side of the page under "IWDEE bugs (1.3)"

Make a new discussion with a headline like

'Game Options', 'Cleric Ranger Spells', '0' should grant access to all divine spells

In the initial post explain what the issue is and what steps you took before you experience the problem (including what version of the game you are playing, Windows, Mac, Linux, etc). Ideally post a save file in the thread that experiences the issue (you can throw a save in a zip or rar file and then use the "attach a file" feature).

If you haven't seen it before "attach a file" appears as orange text below where you type in a post on the forums (you can just click it and select the file).
    BelgarathMTHRAM021Nukeface
    Thanks. Not sure how useful my file will be now, though, since I added the Druid spells manually.
  • PeLLeT_RSDPeLLeT_RSD Member Posts: 55
    elminster said:

In the original IWD cleric/ranger multi-classes and ranger - > cleric dual classes would be limited by whatever level you had for your ranger level in terms of your access to druid spells. In other words You'd have to be a level 6 ranger before you could cast Entangle or a level 12 ranger before you could cast Spike Growth. This was in contrast to how BG1 and 2 handled things.

However, IWDEE gives you the option of allowing cleric/rangers access to all divine spells.

If you go into the baldur.ini file in documents/icewind dale enhanced edition you'll find a line that looks like this

'Game Options', 'Cleric Ranger Spells', '1',

If you change that 1 to a 0 you will get access to all divine spells (as your cleric level allows).

Thank you very much!!

I'm actually playing BGEE2 but just leveled up my Cleric/Ranger to find out that Iron Skins was not on her level 5 spell list. Since EE games share the same engine I tried this out and it worked great!

Glad I had a save just before leveling up.
    elminster
  • IchthyicIchthyic Member Posts: 89
    this might only work if your dual isn't already max leveled, like mine is.

for me, it did nothing for my 12/30 ranger cleric.

Sorry for the necro, but since this is a frequent google result, I feel it should be mentioned. My baldur.ini shows the Cleric/Ranger line twice. Changing it in both lines, resulted in getting the spells as required.
    RAM021
    Change Baldur.lua instead
    RAM021
    elminster said:

I was talking about IWD:EE, should have mentioned that.
  • Incantus89Incantus89 Member Posts: 28
    GawainBS said:

elminster said:

I was talking about IWD:EE, should have mentioned that.
    still the same far as I know.
    RAM021
    Well, as earlier posts showed, changing just the first line in baldur.ini didn't work for me and some others, but changing both line helps me. Just posted it so other people with the same problem might find it helpful.
    GawainBS said:

Well, as earlier posts showed, changing just the first line in baldur.ini didn't work for me and some others, but changing both line helps me. Just posted it so other people with the same problem might find it helpful.

My understanding is that the Lua file overrides the ini file. Unless you are playing 1.3 you don't need the ini file anymore.
    RAM021
    To be honest, I've only found an .ini file in all of my EE games. IWD is 1.4.