Skip to content

Can someone please detail the greatness of Druids in IWD?

So over the last new months I've kept hearing how absolutely dominant, amazing and necessary druids are in Ice Wind Dale. Unfortunately I've tried to figure out why but haven't found much "Detailed" information. I've tried googling the topic but came across too many topics without meaningful detail and even some denouncing the greatness of druids! \Gasp Such Blasphemy.

I was hoping, on the eve of my adventures into the frozen paradise (Tonight is football with the mates, should have taken tomorrow off work.....) someone could give me details as to what makes IWD Druids so dominant? Are there certain ways I need to build them to get the maximum? Are there a couple of new spells that are over the top amazing? Assuming I have an Undead Hunter in the party, can I get away with having a Druid but not having any Cleric?

Thanks for the help of anyone who tore themselves away from the great time they're having to answer :)

Comments

• KoyoteKoyote Member Posts: 89
    They have certain druid specific interactions through the game which is nice. Their spell list is great. Shapeshifting is near game breaking at certain points points in the game. Best choice is a vanilla Druid (close second is Avenger if you are feeling frisky). Avoid shapeshifter and totemic druid because they done get the amazing elemental shapeshifts.
  • VarwulfVarwulf Member Posts: 564
    Though Totemic Druid becomes almost necessary at low level Heart of Fury ;)
  • TheRaven476TheRaven476 Member Posts: 44
    Are there specific spells? Which spells in particular took Druids from "Meh" in BG, to "OMG this class is soooooo amazing" in IWD?? Which shapeshift forms are the Bee's Knees?
  • VfleetVfleet Member Posts: 15
    So essentialy until level 11 druids level much faster than clerics which means they higher level spells faster. Than take a look at their spell book from around level 2 plus. Spells like beastclaw, alicorn lance(is ok), cloudburst, storm shell are really good. Honestly man just take a look at their spells and u will see.
  • KoyoteKoyote Member Posts: 89
    edited October 2014
    @Varwulf lol, I never played HOF, but if the totem actually scales that would be pretty useful.

@TheRaven476 Druid spell list is actually pretty good in BG. IWD just fleshes out level 1-3 with some winners like sun scorch, bear claws, etc. For level 4-7 spells just use the spells everyone says is good in BG (insect plague, natures beauty, creeping doom, iron skin, etc.)
    As for shapeshifting, it's been a long time since I've played but I do remember being able to get certain resistances to 100%...water elemental immune to slashing is what's popping in my mind right now. It trivialized certain parts of the game.

Edit: I forgot to mention static charge. It's call lightning that works indoors!!!