Skip to content

Why do these enhanced editions have such trouble running on my older graphics card?

I've been able to play these games on a desktop for a while now, but when trying to play them on a laptop recently (an older one running a Nvidia Geoforce Go 7300), the game boots up fine but once I get into the main menus after the title screen, the graphics go haywire with multiple colors and distorted text/pictures before the game crashes. This isn't limited to IWD:EE, but also the BG:EE series as well.

I'm able to play the original games without problems, so I'm assuming something with the changes makes the graphics go haywire. Any solutions?

Comments

• SceptenarSceptenar Member Posts: 606
    Make sure your graphics card drivers are up to date. Don't accept a 3rd party application like Steam telling you that they are, they tend to be incorrect. You need to check for yourself.
  • GamingFreakGamingFreak Member Posts: 639
    Drivers are up to date. Won't do any good.
  • RAM021RAM021 Member Posts: 403
    The graphical requirements (indeed the entire computer requirements) are higher for the EE than the original games; being able to play the originals does not mean an equally smooth experience with the Enhanced Editions.

Which 7300Go do you have? What about the rest of the laptop's specs? The 7300Go was not exactly a great card when it launched nearly NINE (9) years ago...
  • ZeckulZeckul Member Posts: 1,036
    Because it's OpenGL. Your video card is probably designed to barely run the Windows Aero Desktop correctly - which is entirely Direct3D.
  • GamingFreakGamingFreak Member Posts: 639
    aaaaah, figures. Guess I'll stick with this temporary desktop for now until I get a new computer (one that can play these games and then some).