Skip to content

So which is better...

Darts or Slings? I've always been dubious of Darts since they do so little damage compared to Slings/Bullets, but I see that they have 1/3 the speed factor of a Sling. How does that translate to damage per round for each? I've also noticed that there's very little in the way of magic Darts. Bullets come in a +2 variety, Darts are just Darts for the most part.

Comments

• Lord_TansheronLord_Tansheron Member Posts: 4,211
    edited November 2014
    First, speed factor does not influence the damage per round at all; it doesn't let you attack MORE, it just lets you attack earlier in the round.

That being said, Darts DO have a higher Rate of Fire than Slings, which is the number of attacks you can make with them in a round - Slings have a Rate of Fire of 1 (= 1 Attack Per Round), while Darts have 3 (= 3 APR).

Which one ends up better depends on several factors, and on item availability. I'm not sure there's a returning Dart in IWD.
  • BelanosBelanos Member Posts: 968

That being said, Darts DO have a higher Rate of Fire than Slings, which is the number of attacks you can make with them in a round - Slings have a Rate of Fire of 1 (= 1 Attack Per Round), while Darts have 3 (= 3 APR).

So that would make Darts substantially more damaging then. They do 1d3 damage, three times a round as opposed to a single 1d4+1 for bullets. So almost double the potential damage if I'm understanding it correctly. I may have to switch more of my characters over to Darts then.

• PibaroPibaro Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 2,989
    But you'll find a lot of magical slings and bullets, while you won't find enough magical darts to cover 3 APR (and even non-magical ones will end up pretty soon, you'll need to buy really thousands of darts).
    KenjiJuliusBorisov
  • BelanosBelanos Member Posts: 968
    Pibaro said:

But you'll find a lot of magical slings and bullets, while you won't find enough magical darts to cover 3 APR (and even non-magical ones will end up pretty soon, you'll need to buy really thousands of darts).

Good point. I should at least be able to have my Sorcerer use them though. My front line characters can stick to slings.

Pibaro
  • MathsorcererMathsorcerer Member Posts: 3,037
    Slings, especially since there aren't any returning darts...which means I will create one, probably this week but maybe next.