Skip to content

1st Time IWD : need advice Party is almost done!

HokkaidoHokkaido Member Posts: 12
Hey Guys. ya yet another Party Thread.
This is the 1st time i play IDW so im realy unsure how to build up my Party.

I am thinking about :

Human Cavalier - Longsword / Shield?
Dwarven Defender - Axes / Warhammer / Dual /Crossbow?
Half-Elf Bard - Mace / Dagger / Bow?

next 3 are unsure:

Cleric of Tempus?
Totem Druid ?
Dragon Deciple ?

and What about Fighter/Thief ? or is it possible to cover PickPoc/Traps/Locks with the Bard ?

I Love BG BG2 so mutch but i always struggle with finding a Group that satisfy my wishes.
Post edited by Hokkaido on

Comments

• FrogmanFrogman Member Posts: 153
    Definitely need a thief. Fighter thief or thief mage will be plenty. But you have to have someone who can disarm traps and pick locks (bard can't do those things)
  • BelanosBelanos Member Posts: 968
    Hokkaido said:

Hey Guys. ya yet another Party Thread.
    or is it possible to cover PickPoc/Traps/Locks with the Bard ?

No it's not. Bards can only get the Pickpocket ability, nothing else. You don't really need a pure class thief though, some kind of multi will do.

• HokkaidoHokkaido Member Posts: 12
    I realy whant to have a Dwarv with me so maybe:

Human Cavalier - Longsword / Shield?
    Dwarven Cleric of Tempus - Weapon advice ?
    Fighter / Thief - Dual or Multiclass ?
    Half-Elf Bard - Mace / Crossbow
    Totem Druid - Scimitar / Saff ?
    Dragon Deciple - Sling / Dagger
  • Ancalagon44Ancalagon44 Member Posts: 252
    How experienced are you at D&D in general? Have you played Baldurs Gate before?

I'd recommend:
    Human Undead Hunter - lots of undead in IWD
    Dwarf Fighter/Cleric
    Fighter/Thief - halfling or dwarf, you decide
    Half Elf Bard
    Half Elf Fighter/Druid
    Human Dragon Disciple or Elven Sorcerer

Personally I would prefer the Elven Sorcerer but it is up to you.
  • BelanosBelanos Member Posts: 968
    edited November 2014
    Well as a Cleric, the Dwarves can only use blunt weapons and the best of those kind are either Mace or Flail. Flip a coin when deciding on which one. You might also be better off with an Undead Hunter. There's a number of those kinds of enemies in the game. As for the Fighter/Thief, you're definitely better of with a multi-class. As for the Druid, I'd go with the Scimitar. It does better damage and it will allow you to use both a ranged weapon and a Buckler. Since your restricted to non-metallic armour, you'll want to get the most AC you can.

PS: If you have your heart set on a Dwarf in the party, you might want to consider having one as your Fighter/Thief. They work well in that role.
    edited November 2014
    Ok now so far i have build:

Sir Parsival - Human Undead Hunter - Longsword++ / Weapon n Shield ++
    Redgie Greyfood - Halfling Fighter/Thief - Dagger+ / Shortbow+ / Dual Wild ++
    Duria Elvenhair - Halfelf Bard - Mace+ / Crossbow+
    Dolun Thundermaul - Dwarven Fighter/Cleric - Warhammer++ / Weapon n Shield ++
    Post edited by Hokkaido on
    Thinking about adding Dragon Deciple and Totem Druid ?

Dragon Deciple becouse of all thoes nice Fire DMg Spells.
    Totem Druid becouse i like the shapeshifting and summoning thingy. and i realy dont like to make all Fighter Multiclass

What do you think guys ?
    edited November 2014
    Yeah, take a totemic druid.

Dragon Disciple - up to you, but personally I think the disadvantages (one less spell per level per day) are too much. Ideally your sorcerer should be focused on dealing as much damage as possible, so I think the AC and constitution bonuses are not really necessary. Up to you though.

Otherwise your party looks good, nicely balanced.

EDIT:

Wait, just bear in mind that a totemic druid cannot shapeshift - summons only.
  • FrogmanFrogman Member Posts: 153
    edited November 2014
    Hokkaido said:

Ok now so far i have build:

Redgie Greyfood - Halfling Fighter/Thief - Dagger+ / Shortbow+ / Dual Wild ++
    Duria Elvenhair - Halfelf Bard - Mace+ / Crossbow+
    Dolun Thundermaul - Dwarven Fighter/Cleric - Warhammer++ / Weapon n Shield ++

Greyfood...gross! (great name though)

Wait, just bear in mind that a totemic druid cannot shapeshift - summons only.

oh ya my mistake
    Also bear in mind that a Dragon Disciple can only use their breath weapon once per day.
    edited November 2014
    Ok Finaly found my Group:

Dolin Darkshield - Dwarven Fighter/Cleric - Warhammer++ / Weapon n Shield ++
    Regie Redwood - Halfling Fighter/Thief - Dagger+ / Shortbow+ / Dual Wild ++
    Merid Mistlewood - Halfelf Fighter/Druid - Scimitar+ / Sling++ / Weapon n Shield +
    Wicca Whisperwind - Halfelf Bard - Mace+ / Crossbow+
    Aubric Ashgrove - Elven Sorcerer - Darts+

What do you think about this group and their proficiencies?
    Tips on Stats for the Sorcerer
    Looks good.

Sorcerers have no primary attribute. In other words, a sorcerer with 3 intelligence, charisma and wisdom is as good a spellcaster as one with 18 in all stats. What I do is give my sorcerers high scores in charisma, wisdom and intelligence so that they can do all the talking and get all of the best dialog options, and then make sure they have decent constitution scores.
  • bob_vengbob_veng Member Posts: 2,308

Dragon Disciple - up to you, but personally I think the disadvantages (one less spell per level per day) are too much. Ideally your sorcerer should be focused on dealing as much damage as possible, so I think the AC and constitution bonuses are not really necessary. Up to you though.

it's absolutely unnoticeable. in iwd you don't have a need for a vast number of spells per day and the breath weapon and additional hit points and ac are nice.

bob_veng said:

it's absolutely unnoticeable. in iwd you don't have a need for a vast number of spells per day and the breath weapon and additional hit points and ac are nice.

Hah. you Saining this now i have made a sorcerer isted of a Dragon Deciple
    bob_veng said:

I frequently have to rest because my sorcerer has run out of spells.