Skip to content

Heart of Fury not so heartily furious?

I started a game on HoF difficulty and was surprised because I remembered it being more difficult.
I remember having trouble just hitting monsters.
I just started but the Beetles and Goblins I fought in Easthaven were easy to hit and didn't deal much damage.
They do have more HP and give more XP though.
So, is the mode working as intended in IWDEE?
Also, I thought enemies would get bonuses to AC. Am I wrong?
What are the exact rules of HoF?

Comments

• bob_vengbob_veng Member Posts: 2,308
    i've written about this in advance of the release.

nothing changed in HoF but your party is much stronger.

the game needs a new and revamped HoF mode.
  • Lord_TansheronLord_Tansheron Member Posts: 4,211
    The game needs something like SCS :/ Ten Towns Tactics? TTT?

Just tweaking numbers is never going to feel as fulfilling as comprehensive scripting, but that really goes beyond the scope of Beamdog - it's a job for modders. I only hope we get the same high quality people on the job that we have in BG1/2 :)
  • AbelAbel Member Posts: 785
    Right you are!
    What about the exact effects of HoF? It's not mentioned in the game apparently...
  • Lord_TansheronLord_Tansheron Member Posts: 4,211
    Number tweaks, from what I can tell. More hit dice (makes certain spells useless, important to note), better THAC0 and AC, probably better saves as well. Don't think there are extra damage resistances or extra abilities/AI enhancements.

I'm not sure whether the difficulty setting aside from HoF has any impact, and whether HoF and/or difficulty setting influences things like the number of mobs spawning.
  • bob_vengbob_veng Member Posts: 2,308
    edited November 2014

Just tweaking numbers is never going to feel as fulfilling as comprehensive scripting, but that really goes beyond the scope of Beamdog - it's a job for modders. I only hope we get the same high quality people on the job that we have in BG1/2 :)

this is exactly the kind of work beamdog can do. they should approach it as making another black pits since they haven't made such a module for iwd:ee.

advanced HoF DLC pls.

it doesn't have to be tough from the beginning but it has to scale in a meaningful way.
    Post edited by bob_veng on
  • CasadoomCasadoom Member Posts: 68
    bob_veng said:

this is exactly the kind of work beamdog can do. they should approach it as making another black pits since they have made such a module for iwd:ee.

I'd without a doubt be more than happy to pay for a proper Heart of Fury DLC (NPCs in epic or higher levels, new items, HLA, AI enhancements etc). I would also would not mind with some kind of Ice Pits but much longer than either BP1 and BP2.

Ice Pits also has the advantage of being Multiplayer friendly.

• RAM021RAM021 Member Posts: 403
    It is far more likely that you simply enabled HoF mode from whatever the default difficult was (Easy?).

In this case the previously spawned mobs are granted the HoF buff, but are lacking the Insane damage & numbers bonuses. Just transition to an area where the mobs have not yet been spawned and they will then behave as expected.
    Casadoom said:

Ice Pits also has the advantage of being Multiplayer friendly.

Long over due!
    http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/34762/the-ice-pits-frozen-pits-cold-pits
  • AbelAbel Member Posts: 785
    edited November 2015
    I'm reviving this thread since I have similar problems. But this time, adjusting the slider, reloading or changing areas doesn't work.
    According to various threads notably this one, HoF should give a -11 bonus to AC. I started a new game and enemy creatures still have their base AC. Saving Throws don't seem affected either.
    THAC0 and HP bonuses do show.
    So, I'm wondering if people have this issue as well before reporting it as a bug.
    I remember AC being lowered in the original IWD though I don't have a copy to verify it.

Edit: made some tests with the original game and there's a -11 bonus to AC indeed. I guess ST get an upgrade too but it's harder to test. Anyway, I'll report this as a bug.
    Post edited by Abel on