Skip to content

BG:EE DLCs?

UnseeyingEyeUnseeyingEye Member Posts: 48
I keep on reading the occasional post on here about DLCs for BG:EE. What is the deal with this? Is this just speculation given the commonality of games released DLCs for games nowadays? Or have the developers confirmed or hinted at possible DLCs?

Comments

• AnduineAnduine Member Posts: 416
    The only currently confirmed downloadable content for BG:EE is for tablets. Their version of the game costs $10 and comes with no DLC; PC/mac version costs $18 ($20 if not preordered) and includes the extra characters, Black Pit, etc.
  • mch202mch202 Member Posts: 1,455
    edited August 2012
    There will be DLC, because they are keeping to update the game and add content that they wont finish until the release date.

Some will be for free and some will be paid DLC:

There will be more new and free content than paid content.

DLC=Downloadable Content, not furry earrings +3. The big guys have overcooked the term with badness. New BG storylines, New characters.

Because that the modding community is very much alive in Baldurs Gate any new Paid DLC will have to be worth it, not just a "suite of armor" DLC

Also IMO DLC is a way to keep Baldurs Gate alive post-ship as long as they doing it right. call it Downloadable Expansions if you like.
  • UnseeyingEyeUnseeyingEye Member Posts: 48
    Hmm I see, this is very much what I had hoped for mch202. All the more reason for me to not play BG:EE until its sequel is released... but if number two also gets DLC I might have to put playing EE off for closer to two years. A sad turn of events.
  • neleotheszeneleothesze Member Posts: 231
    @UnseeyingEye Why on Earth would it be a sad turn of events? You are promised free adventures and characters on top of continued support in the months following the release? How could anyone possibly consider that a sad turn of events? Even if you wanted to play everything in one fell swoop, having a continuous stream of content means that by the time you're finally done with BG:EE, they're close to releasing BG2:EE and by the time you're done with that, they're popping out extra content. If anything you should be happy that you don't have to want a year for BG2:EE to feel like you're playing them together.

Just estimate the time you have available for play and the time you would have to play to stretch things out! So instead of waiting 2 years with a willpower of iron or something (that's if you really care about the game) use that willpower to play just 2 hours / day :) Seems like a more reasonable choice. 1 chocolate / day instead of no chocolate for 2 years then die of glucose overdose or smth. :P
    edited August 2012

@UnseeyingEye Why on Earth would it be a sad turn of events? You are promised free adventures and characters on top of continued support in the months following the release? How could anyone possibly consider that a sad turn of events? Even if you wanted to play everything in one fell swoop, having a continuous stream of content means that by the time you're finally done with BG:EE, they're close to releasing BG2:EE and by the time you're done with that, they're popping out extra content. If anything you should be happy that you don't have to want a year for BG2:EE to feel like you're playing them together.

Just estimate the time you have available for play and the time you would have to play to stretch things out! So instead of waiting 2 years with a willpower of iron or something (that's if you really care about the game) use that willpower to play just 2 hours / day :) Seems like a more reasonable choice. 1 chocolate / day instead of no chocolate for 2 years then die of glucose overdose or smth. :P

The sad turn of events is that I am not going to play BG:EE until BGII:EE and all the DLC has been released. If the content was indeed a "continuous stream" then I would start playing straight away. Problem is I will finish that content quicker than they can make it so I will have to wait... and play another game which, to me, ruins the immersion and experience somewhat.

that's if you really care about the game

I am insulted by the very notion that you would even dare question my love/care for this game. If anything I believe that I love it more than anyone else. Why? Let me tell you a story.

When I was at school (not long ago at all) I used to play BG/BG2 every weekend. I was not allowed to play games during weekdays so every week I would look forward to my weekend and the knowledge that I could play BG. When that weekend finally came I would play non-stop (I really didn't have much of a social life) from Friday afternoon to Sunday night, minus sleeping of course. I would finish BG and all the side-quests in that one weekend.

When the next weekend came I did the same for BG2. And then the cycle would repeat. This was my life, everything I did for a good two years. But that all changed when I got my PS2 in 2007 (I was in grade 8). I stopped playing because I had many more new games I could play.

It wasn't until 2009 that I played the BG series again. It was amazing. Better than it had ever been. Then I thought... what if I waited longer? How great would the experience be? Letting something reach the peak of its bloom is true care.

• mch202mch202 Member Posts: 1,455
    @UnseeyingEye I understand you on this aspect, I also want to play ALL the content in one go because Im not a 'Hardcore Player' who is doing multiple playthroughs one after another, that's why everything that get delayed and go post-ship isn't good for me.

What Im going to do is probably wait 2 weeks tops for new updates and than start to play ( University start at mid Oct so I wont have time after that anyway ), after that I will wait a 8-9 months until BG2:EE is out and all the DLC, and will run a BG1-2:EE playthrough - Multiple experience!! :-)

• BerconBercon Member Posts: 486
    At least you have plenty of time to finish The Black Pits ;-)
  • IchigoRXCIchigoRXC Member Posts: 1,001
    From henceforth Baldurs Gate will only get DLE not DLC, to avoid the bad press that comes with the term. :P
  • KonabugaKonabuga Member Posts: 135
    I haven't played BG in years, so it's all rather new to me. I'll buy every dlc they put out and play it again later.
  • neleotheszeneleothesze Member Posts: 231
    edited August 2012
    "I am insulted by the very notion that you would even dare question my love/care for this game. If anything I believe that I love it more than anyone else."

@UnseeyingEye I understand your dedication for the franchise and wasn't questioning that. But we are talking about BG:EE. You are on the official forum, 1 month before release, stating you will not buy the game because you'd rather play it together with BG2:EE and that you are disappointed at finding out about DLCs(DLEs ;) ). Look at how you sound from the developer's perspective: I love the game but I'm not ready to support your efforts until you are finished delivering all the content.

I have no problem with anyone saying they don't want to buy the game. It's a free internet. :) But your posts confuse me. I don't know how to take them: insisting you care and then making several threads (this and the one about not playing until BG2 comes out come to mind) about how you won't buy the game for a long time sounds silly. :)

I believe @mch202's approach is much more reasonable. Get the game now, support the team who is enhancing the games you spent 2 years playing every weekend then play it again when BG2 comes out. :-?? Double the fun.

I spent 3 years playing and modding for TES3:Morrowind. If a revamp would come out I wouldn't be the first to come out and proclaim that while I love the game I won't pay a dime to the people who are working so hard for my enjoyment until they do the expansions as well. :-s

I do apologize if my previous post sounded harsh and perhaps it was my fault for reading this topic and not expecting the OP to get a positive answer to his queries only to do a 180 and sound disappointed that someone is working hard to give him something. (Because that's what they are saying. They will be giving not selling most of it) :)

The point of the post was to outline an alternative to your solution, albeit one that would limit the playtime. :)
    Post edited by neleothesze on
  • reedmilfamreedmilfam Member Posts: 2,808
    How is it a matter of how much one likes the game or does not? I loved Mass Effect 1 and 2, yet haven't bought ME3 because I personally don't like DLC springing up mid-stream. That's a personal choice that I make (also inspired by poor reviews of ME3, uninspired DA2 and my dissatisfaction with TOR). If I were to choose to wait on BG:EE until BG2 and whatever was done, I submit that is entirely my right.

I bought early mostly to send a signal and to encourage BeamDog's effort.
    edited August 2012
    @neleothesze

Sorry, I don't think I was clear enough in some of my posts. Let us clear up this confusion.

FIrst, I never said I will not buy BG:EE only that I will not play it until the second one is out. I fully intend to buy everything they release and if they bring out a physical box-set I will most certainly be buying that too. I will make sure to buy everything they make as soon as I can (even though I will not play the game for a year+)... all because I do want to reward them for their hard work on a game I love.

The next one will be harder to explain... and hence why I feel you did not get my original meaning. I did not mean that the fact that future DLCs were going to be released was what was "sad news" as I put it. It was that as such I would make myself wait even more until they had all been released. I was expecting to be able to play them next year sometime but as I want a perfect, complete playthrough I am going to wait until all the official content has been released. I will have more content but an extended wait until I play my game, bittersweet indeed but the positive far outweigh the negative.

And your post didn't sound harsh at all, my opening line was... I don't know how to explain it. I guess I was jokingly pretending to be outraged. Unfortunately I guess these kinds of things don't translate well over the internet. Something I must remember in the future.
  • shawneshawne Member Posts: 3,239
    I agree with @reedmilfam: I had the distinct pleasure of playing ME2 for the first time after every DLC except Arrival had already come out, and so I got to experience the "whole" game as a single, continuous narrative. Given that DLCs can come out three to six months after finishing a game, it can be very difficult to get back into the swing of things just to experience an episode that's been inserted into the story...
  • reedmilfamreedmilfam Member Posts: 2,808
    @shawne - the good news, though, is that BG is more replayable than most other games and, as such, you could play and then start anew with new content. Anyway, I know I'll be chomping at the bit for BG2:EE. Still, I'd rather have it done right than done now, so I'll try to be patient!