Skip to content

[IWD:EE] Rectify the imbalancing effect of dual wielding - some small adjustments

bob_vengbob_veng Member Posts: 2,308
edited November 2014 in Feature Requests
- move one of the longswords of action +4 to a location where it can not be found along the other such identical sword in a potentially short space of time in the middle of the game (one is located towards the end of HoW and the other one at the beginning of ToTL)

- introduce to the earlier stages of the game some good two-handed weapons to offset the advantage of one handed weapons (great ones available relatively early whereas no two-handed one are for the most of the game)

- make the ring of reckless action (+1 apr) a certain find instead of random in order to enable two-handed weapon users gain benefit from it in any game, especially since dual wielding characters can easily achieve maximum or near-maximum attacks per round without it

- *subtledoctor's idea* make some or all +1 apr items set base apr to 2 instead. this will cause such apr increasing effects not to stack. (a very neat solution imo)

i propose this to make the game at least appear more balanced and to restore some spirit of the original game which although it itself wasn't super-balanced among classes and proficiency choices was at least more balanced than it is in the current edition.
Post edited by bob_veng on

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited November 2014
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • bob_vengbob_veng Member Posts: 2,308
    in another thread i started on the issue a dev stated that changing original item properties shall not be done.

I don't think we are supposed to nerf items found in the original game. It would be probably reconsidered if we restored something overly unbalanced, but original stuff we are not supposed to remove unless it is unfixably buggy. Is it really such a problem to find the second sword in the last 5% of the game?

so i've come up with putting ithe sword somewhere away from it's twin. doesn't go a long way, but at least it's something.

together they grant almost certain 5 apr, 30% slashing resistance and +2 ac. makes spectral guards a cakewalk once you get improved haste (and you can buy it in HoW)
  • FranpaFranpa Member Posts: 637
    edited November 2014
    How old was that post bob_veng? I know they were quite limited in how much they could modify the original game content while it was owned (or published) by Atari, but now Beamdog I believe owns everything about the game and publishes it themselves.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited November 2014
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
    i agree wholeheartedly with the first paragraph

if you will do that in a mod, what do you think about reducing bonus apr to 1/2 instead or adding it as an alternative?

the base apr setting idea feels a bit strange for me because it creates a situation where something inherently fast (an unnaturally quick to strike weapon) can somehow slow you down. it feels...incompatible.
  • smeagolheartsmeagolheart Member Posts: 7,963

Actually I don't think this would be a nerf; in the original games you couldn't dual-wield at all.

Dual wielding in original was rangers with a one handed weapon in one hand and nothing in the other got +1 attack.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.

bob_veng said:

the base apr setting idea feels a bit strange for me because it creates a situation where something inherently fast (an unnaturally quick to strike weapon) can somehow slow you down. it feels...incompatible.

In my testing, that's not how it works. It doesn't override other things. Every character's base APR is 1; then various effects change it, such as specialization and spells and it's like the Gauntlets of Weapon Expertise. Setting base APR to 2 would increase the end result of all that by 1; the only difference is, two items with that effect would not stack with each other.

Again, think about bows, which set base APR to 2, or darts which set it to 3. They don't slow you down.
    i understand now. i didn't get it right the first time

great idea!

it will be a great thing when you put it in your mod and developers should really consider this change.

• RedrakeRedrake Member Posts: 426

Actually I don't think this would be a nerf; in the original games you couldn't dual-wield at all.

Dual wielding in original was rangers with a one handed weapon in one hand and nothing in the other got +1 attack.
    Not really true. It meant +1 extra attack for having any melee weapon with no shield. That includes 2h weapons like spears or halberds.