Skip to content

Sweep Ability for the Fighter

NancyButtpeachNancyButtpeach Member Posts: 38
AD&D had an ability for a fighter to make a large number attacks against low-level creatures; I believe it was called "sweep" or "cleave". I am not sure of the details, but I think it would be nice.

What does everyone think?

Comments

• CheesebellyCheesebelly Member Posts: 1,727
    I remember the Cleave feat being in Neverwinter Nights (3rd edition) where a character successfully slayed a target, he or she would get an instant attack against another target. With "Advanced Cleave" or what was the name, you could literally instantly slay 30 goblins in 1 second XD

as for AD&D, I don't know... I really don't know how well it could integrate inside BG either... maybe as a HLA?
  • raywindraywind Member Posts: 289
    would make those low lvl mob group fights more enjoyable so HLA it but make it available at lvl 15or so before other HLA abilities, i would like that kinda ability to each class like if you kill goblin with magic missile it would instantly cast another to next (same named target like goblin) but not to any other names creatures because that would make it too powerfull.
  • JolanthusJolanthus Member Posts: 292
    I remember playing one of the gold box games. (or was I watching my dad play it.) and Thud The Barbarian was surrounded by Kobalds and just hacked them all to itty bitty pieces in one turn. I'm pretty certain the AD&D version was called sweep.
  • reedmilfamreedmilfam Member Posts: 2,808
    Yes, fighters had attacks up to their number of levels against weak enemies. Would be useful against Xvarts (seriously a waste of a fireball, as they are weak!).
  • oldsch00loldsch00l Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 192
    edited August 2012
    Cleave has been introduced in the 3rd edition. It gives one extra attack if previous enemy was killed during said attack. Great cleave allows to chain cleaves provided you kill the target in one blow.
  • Twilight_FoxTwilight_Fox Member Posts: 448
    Cleave and Great Cleave was also in IWD2, it was useful if you don't miss too often.
  • EilerEiler Member Posts: 93
    I remember that in the gold box games. Given some of the small armies that were thrown at you sometimes it was pretty useful.
    Jolanthus said:

I remember playing one of the gold box games. (or was I watching my dad play it.) and Thud The Barbarian was surrounded by Kobalds and just hacked them all to itty bitty pieces in one turn. I'm pretty certain the AD&D version was called sweep.

• SchneidendSchneidend Member Posts: 3,190
    That sounds so awesome. Do want. o.o