Skip to content

What's next for Infinity Engine EE releases? (My suggestions for the next releases inside!)

EndarireEndarire Member Posts: 1,512
Greetings, all!

I'm curious where the Beamdog team next intends to focus its efforts. Are we looking forward to [i]Planescape Torment EE[/i]? [i]Icewind Dale II EE[/i]? Some new game in a (modified?) version of the Infinity Engine?

Regarding Dale 2 EE, I'd prefer its interface (and spell/ability icons) be similar to that of Dale 1 EE. I'd also like the option (as part of a higher difficulty) to have enemies behave very intelligently akin to Sword Coast Stratagems. Yes, mods may be able to do it, but it's better to have the option as standard.

I'd also like Dale 2 EE to start with all the portraits and voice sets from the previous Infinity Engine EE games. (NPC companion voice sets, such as Edwin's, are optional, but would be greatly enjoyed!)

Sword Coast Stratagems Mod for [i]Baldur's Gate II (EE)[/i]: http://www.gibberlings3.net/scs/

Regarding Torment EE, I'd [i]greatly[/i] prefer new planar content. Considering the original game doesn't involve that much plane hopping, I'd like to visit a few more planes of the Great Wheel (at least as optional content) as part of The Nameless One's journey. What about visiting the upper planes? The ethereal plane? The elemental planes? The Plane of Shadow? The Planar Revision Project offers suggestions on adventuring on the planes

Planar Revision Project URL: http://www.minmaxboards.com/index.php?topic=5581.0

Regarding a new Infinity Engine game, D&D 5E is out. Considering that the mechanics of 5E seem very computer game-friendly, a revised Infinity Engine could work. Since [i]Icewind Dale II[/i] used a modified version of 3E's mechanics, I'm certain a revised Infinity Engine could do the job with probably 6-12 months of effort.

Regarding the story of such a project, I'm looking at [i]Baldur's Gate II[/i] and [i]Throne of Bhaal[/i] as my baselines. It's hard to top these stories in terms of CRPGs. I'd also like the option to have BG1- and BG2-style companions with their own personalities and agendas.

Mechanically, I'd like it to be a semi-open world like BG1 (and BG2 to some extent) that can be played with between 1 and 6ish PCs. (I like the notion of being able to solo my CRPGs that normally demand groups. It makes me feel better and special, and managing 1 character is easier than managing 6.) I'd also like a mode akin to Dale's Heart of Fury mode, which drastically increases the challenge and EXP gained. (I'm amidst soloing [i]Icewind Dale EE[/i]'s Heart of Fury mode with a lone character I made at level 1, a CG Elf Fighter/Mage/Thief.)

Comments

• CoryNewbCoryNewb Member Posts: 1,330
    Whatever these guys are passionate for, I want them to tackle. Their hearts were in it for these first 3 EEs, and it shows. I want more of that, no matter the property they choose to enhance or create. They have earned my insta-pre-order.