Skip to content

Which set of stats should I use for my ranger(archer)?

MrGoodkatMrGoodkat Member Posts: 167
Hey there,
I realize this a bit stupid but I can't for the life of me which stat roll I should use for my "main" character in IWD:EE.

Roll #1:
STR: 18/45
DEX: 19
CON: 17
INT: 18
WIS: 18
CHA: 9
Total: 99

Roll #2:
STR: 18/97
DEX: 19
CON: 17
INT: 15
WIS: 18
CHA: 8
Total: 95

This my first time ever playing Icewind Dale so I'm not entirely sure which abilities are actually relevant. Roll #1 has maxed int, which is probably pretty useless for a ranger overall. Does intelligence affect conversations at all in IWD? Are there any mind flayers? Does it have any other use I should know about?

Roll #2 has a very high strength modifier, which does have at least some effect despite my character being a pure archer. If I ever use a melee weapon (against skeletons for example) I get huge boni to make up for my lack of melee proficiencies and I can also carry more weight. Most of the time it will probably be just as useless as high intelligence, right?

I used charisma as a dump stat since I have an 18 charisma sorcerer who will do conversations and shopping for my party.

Happy voting and feel free to post a reason if you like!
  1. Which set of stats should I use for my ranger(archer)?29 votes
    1. Roll #1
      20.69%
    2. Roll #2
      79.31%

Comments

• ZyzzogetonZyzzogeton Member Posts: 526
    edited November 2014
    Either works.

But Archers might actually, rarely, need exception STR. I mean they have a use for it, just an incredibly irrelevant one. Oh an I guess more STR to carry stuff? Which becomes pointless once you buy that Bag of Holding available in Chapter 1.

While they have even less use for INT above 9 and WIS, especially if you're going to dump CHA which means this won't be your talking character.
    luskanRAM021
  • Balrog99Balrog99 Member Posts: 7,367
    edited November 2014
    If it were BGEE I'd go with roll #1 since the tome would shoot your strength up to 19. I doubt you'd use any strength enhancers on an archer, so the extra strength points might come in handy when you're surrounded by bad guys and need to whip out your swords! The extra points in intelligence and charisma are meaningless in IWD.
  • MrGoodkatMrGoodkat Member Posts: 167
    Yes, the only reason I maxed out wisdom is basically that it's one of the "primary" stats - even if there's no benefit that I know of for having more than 14 wisdom as a ranger.

Having high wisdom and intelligence is also a role-playing thing for me. Stupid (main-)characters are not really my thing I guess. Usually I prioritize intelligence over wisdom but in this case: see above.

From a purely power-gaming perspective the choice is pretty obvious I guess.
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    edited November 2014
    I'd dump int and wis and just put that all into charisma. Even if your sorcerer ends up having high charisma as well. Outside of lore (which is already not going to be good because you are a ranger) they won't do anything for you. Unless of course you plan on dual classing into a cleric (and even then that would only be the wisdom).
    meaglothjackjack
    Interesting point about the role-playing aspect of high INT and WIS. I wonder if somebody with those kind of mental abilities might not choose Fighter/Mage over Archer though? I think he/she might get bored just kiting and shooting and would want to be able to launch a fireball now and again!
    MERLANCE
  • CoryNewbCoryNewb Member Posts: 1,330
    Roll 1 because I like the number 99 more than I like 95
    edited November 2014
    Balrog99 said:

Interesting point about the role-playing aspect of high INT and WIS. I wonder if somebody with those kind of mental abilities might not choose Fighter/Mage over Archer though? I think he/she might get bored just kiting and shooting and would want to be able to launch a fireball now and again!

These kinds of stats do feel wasted on an archer. If we're gonna look at it from a role-playing perspective though there is more to life than combat. I'm pretty sure there are more than enough things to keep the mind occupied in Faerun. =)
    jackjack
  • meaglothmeagloth Member Posts: 3,806
    Int doesn't matter for a ranger so the only real difference is the exceptional strength, so you may as well go with 2.
    RAM021JuliusBorisov
  • meaglothmeagloth Member Posts: 3,806
    elminster said:

I'd dump int and wis and just put that all into charisma. Even if your sorcerer ends up having high charisma as well. Outside of lore (which is already not going to be good because you are a ranger) they won't do anything for you. Unless of course you plan on dual classing into a cleric (and even then that would only be the wisdom).

I would say this but you gave us just the 2 choices.
    elminster
  • SharGuidesMyHandSharGuidesMyHand Member Posts: 2,579
    Roll #2, since 18/97 will give you notable to hit, damage, and weight carrying advantages over 18/45.
    JuliusBorisov
    MrGoodkat said:

Balrog99 said:

These kinds of stats do feel wasted on an archer. If we're gonna look at it from a role-playing perspective though there is more to life than combat. I'm pretty sure there are more than enough things to keep the mind occupied in Faerun. =)
    "Sarevok! I say to thee, Knight to King's Bishop five ...... check."

RAM021jackjack
  • FandraxxFandraxx Member Posts: 193
    "Let my aim be true!"
    I would go with the first roll because your over 18 strength, which with let you use composite bows, and as @MrGoodkat‌ said i feel the extra int makes it a bit more believable as a main character from a role- playing standpoint. But if you wanna power play then yeah go for roll 2 because you'll do more damage and hold more of dat mad loot.
  • lunarlunar Member Posts: 3,460
    Drop int to 10 and wisdom to minimum and pump charisma, if he is going to be your party leader and 'main' speaker having charisma will help tremendously while shopping. Or have your naturally pretty-face good looks shiny teeth members (paladin, bard, druid, dragon disciple) become leader while shopping from vendors. You will save thousands of coins in the long run.
    Just letting you guys know that I've made my decision. Thanks for the help =)
    JuliusBorisov