Skip to content

Bard song comparisons, before level 11 and Darth Vader's Theme

BelgarathMTHBelgarathMTH Member Posts: 5,653
Hi, I'm currently working on a low-level four-member party in Kresselak's Tomb in the Vale of Shadows.

I have a bard for my arcane caster. He can "spellsing" +1 combat bonuses and saves, protection from fear, or +1 luck, + 10% skills, 10% to lore, and +3 saves.

My question is about whether the Ballad of Three Heroes is better or worse than Tymora's Song?

Does the +1 luck effectively include the +1 to hit and damage, plus a -1 to enemy damage rolls, including from spell hit dice, and a boost to thief skills and bard lore as a cherry on top, or, is it better in dungeons to stick with the Ballad of Three Heroes for the clearly defined combat bonuses?

In future decicisions, at higher level, it looks like the Siren's Song is almost if not exactly effectively the same as jester song. Might that be a viable choice over combat bonuses or luck when being mobbed?

It looks still to me like the IWD vanilla bard is the best bard as far as flexibility of choice of "spellsong", as well as the promise in late game of the infamous "Darth Vader's Theme", but, with a skald, the huge attack and defense bonus is clearly defined, such that you know exactly what you get for the "spellsong", so, I am also interested in discussion of vanilla bard vs. skald, and also jester, since the vanilla bard gets a song that looks almost (effectively) the same as jester song.
Post edited by BelgarathMTH on

Comments

• JLeeJLee Member Posts: 650
    edited November 2014
    Fwiw, I usually had Tymora going only on 2 occasions: fighting against casters and 1/3 of a odd trio of Archer stealthing, thief finding traps and bard playing Minnie the Moocher :D

When I checked Tymora does not seem to provide attack bonuses, at least on the character sheet.

I guess it's highly situational, but I default to BoTH.

It seems, to me anyway, that vanilla is better for balanced parties. They are much more versatile, but I've only scratched the surface...
  • AndewCCAndewCC Member Posts: 3
    edited November 2014
    The skald's song is really really good. Just finished the game with a party of
    Monk (Sun Soul)
    Cleric of Lathander
    Human Swashbuckler/Fighter longbow master (dual class at lvl 7)
    Archer
    Skald
    Sorceress (Dragon Disciple).
    The Archer and the Swashbuckler/Fighter destroyed everything thanks to the skald song, between the 2 of them they had like 75% of all kills. And my frontline really benefited from the +2 AC. And then at lvl 15 the song DOUBLES in power.
    As an aside monk is insanely strong lategame, easily more so than any melee class. By the time the skald got his mk2 song, with the help of the belt of strength 19, she was doing 15-34 dmg/hit and had -11 ac.
    Post edited by AndewCC on