Skip to content

Quiver/Case/Bag of Plenty? Best Bard Armor?

Is there anything like this in icewind dale, or is my poor archer doomed to carry thousands of arrows? :)

Also, what are people wearing on their bards? I started with chain, upgraded to chain +1 ... but recently moved to Bracers of AC (paired with ring of protection +2) -- lets me cast, but I keep feeling like I need to find some elven chain. Are there any other great bard items?

Comments

• macomeaumacomeau Member Posts: 80
    There's some special Elven chain you can get at the end of chapter 3. It allows casting by Bards (and multi-class mages), and I have it on my Bard. There's some marginally less special Elven chain available slightly earlier in chapter 3, as well. Both will give you a lower AC than the best Bracers-and-Ring/Cloak combo in IWD.

I'm pretty sure they're both random drops though.

And there are actually quite a few Bard items, though I don't think I'd call any of them 'great.'
  • MrGoodkatMrGoodkat Member Posts: 167
    Thousands of arrows indeed....... with Messenger of Sseth I have 5 APR unbuffed on my level 9 archer...
  • TheCoffeeGodTheCoffeeGod Member Posts: 618
    schreier said:

Is there anything like this in icewind dale, or is my poor archer doomed to carry thousands of arrows? :)

There are no quivers/cases in IWDEE.
    The best option is the Ammo Belt and/or Bag of Holding, both of which can be bought in Kuldahar
  • ZyzzogetonZyzzogeton Member Posts: 526
    My bards stay unarmored. There's really no point giving them armor if they're just going sit in the back and sing and from time to time cast a spell mid combat. Even the excess Bracers I just end up selling instead of passing them on to a Bard. Don't even bother casting Shield on them.

The Bard's best defense is buffing the entire party so they kill enemies a lot faster. -10 AC doesn't offer more protection than enemies with 0 HP.
  • MrGoodkatMrGoodkat Member Posts: 167

schreier said:

There are no quivers/cases in IWDEE.
    The best option is the Ammo Belt and/or Bag of Holding, both of which can be bought in Kuldahar
    No quivers? But I thought they included CamDawg's item upgrade mod which contains Quiver/Case/Bag of Plenty.
  • schreierschreier Member Posts: 79
    I checked Hawk, since I thought CamDawg's upgrade had him selling the quivers ... but no luck. Course, I had killed the werewolf accidentally, not realizing I could save him earlier so it could be something you get later in game?
  • TheCoffeeGodTheCoffeeGod Member Posts: 618
    MrGoodkat said:

No quivers? But I thought they included CamDawg's item upgrade mod which contains Quiver/Case/Bag of Plenty.

Unless they're under a different name, quivers/cases/plenty bags don't exist in the item files when you search them in NI.

• DrHappyAngryDrHappyAngry Member Posts: 1,577
    I found an ammo belt somewhere. I'm still in chapter 1, so it must be pretty early that you can get it. Problem is, I don't remember where I found it.
    Yeah, but the Ammo Belt just stores arrows (and other ammo). The Quiver *creates* arrows. Very handy for an Archer getting off 5 arrows per round.
  • CaptRoryCaptRory Member Posts: 1,660
    The Ammo Belt is still better than nothing~
  • ZyzzogetonZyzzogeton Member Posts: 526
    edited November 2014
    Yeah, but the Ammo Belt just stores arrows (and other ammo). The Quiver *creates* arrows. Very handy for an Archer getting off 5 arrows per round.
    Ammo Belts have a 2k capacity. Even when I had 2 bow users with Grandmastery, I'd buy 1500 Arrows and it would last for multiple floors. And that was in HoF. In Core Rules, even a 1000 Arrows would last the entire dungeon.

The real main use of a Quiver of Plenty would be a magical version for unlimited +1 or better arrows. But that would mainly be for HoF because of higher HP totals, outside of HoF there wouldn't be that much of a need for having an unending supply of magical arrows with enemies that have normal weapon immunity having significantly less HP
  • FardragonFardragon Member Posts: 4,511
    My bard doesn't wear armour. Since all they do is sing and cast spells, they are always right at the back. They can run away if they do draw aggro, without interrupting singing.
  • billygreatbillygreat Member Posts: 66
    Maybe some skilled modder can make this happen? I remember a mod for BG EE called " Convenient Ammunition".
  • schreierschreier Member Posts: 79
    I'm amazed at the speed with which I'm going through arrows ... they have a bunch of potion/gem/scroll cases ... is there only one ammo belt? Also, only one bag of holding?

Also ... what's the lowest bracers of defense they have? Best I've come across is 6
  • jackjackjackjack Member Posts: 3,251
    I think there are three bags of holding.
  • JarrakulJarrakul Member Posts: 2,029
    edited November 2014
    schreier said:

Also ... what's the lowest bracers of defense they have? Best I've come across is 6

I just came across bracers AC 2, which is nuts. My barbarian is now wearing them in lieu of armor.
  • AbelAbel Member Posts: 785
    I remember having loads of arrows and bullets in the original IWD. The maximum amount of ammos per stack was 40 :)
    Jarrakul said:

I just came across bracers AC 2, which is nuts. My barbarian is now wearing them in lieu of armor.

That blows up my idea that the elven chain beats the best bracer/ring-or-cloak combo. I've only seen AC 6 bracers.
  • JarrakulJarrakul Member Posts: 2,029
    Yeah. Nym sold them. Not even for that much. I was floored.