Skip to content

I have a question about Races

DKnightDKnight Member Posts: 307
Im strongly considering to play the game as a regular fighter. I know it sounds boring but Im going to play it differently. Im going to choose one of the races that you get to mix things up a bit. Hoping that I can play the fighter differently than you normally would due to a cool race and bonuses.

This is probably a stupid question, but does anyone have any info on the race/changes or new info?

I looked on the main site under 400 improvements but couldnt find it.

Comments

• TanthalasTanthalas Member Posts: 6,738
    None of the races are getting any change that isn't a bugfix.
  • DKnightDKnight Member Posts: 307
    Tanthalas said:

None of the races are getting any change that isn't a bugfix.

Oh so there are no new subraces.
    Not at launch at least (besides Half-orcs that come with the BG2 engine).
  • shawneshawne Member Posts: 3,239
    Half-Orcs weren't in BG1, and they make great Fighters or Barbarians. :)
  • DragonspearDragonspear Member Posts: 1,838
    All you need to know about Half-Orcs.

20 Str, 19 Dex, 20 Con at the end of BG1 (using the stat tomes). I think the max you can have is 16 int and/or 16 Cha though.
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,316

All you need to know about Half-Orcs.

20 Str, 19 Dex, 20 Con at the end of BG1 (using the stat tomes). I think the max you can have is 16 int and/or 16 Cha though.

Mindflayers be damned. If you aren't playing a Half-Orc with 2 intelligence by the end of BG1, you aren't truly playing a Half-Orc :)
    @elminster

Lol, that's unfair to Half-orcs.

Its kind of funny though, because there are actually multiple examples in novels of Half-orcs actually being at least as smart as humans, and I honestly prefer it when they're portrayed that way.

But of course, you'll also find plenty of examples of goblins being complete morons while the Hobgoblins in the Chosen of Nendarwen books are portrayed as having the average intelligence of humans.
    @Tanthalas. Fair enough. Truth be told I don't play fighter, barbarian, thief or cleric characters much so I really shouldn't be commenting on what Half-Orc's should be.
  • immagikmanimmagikman Member Posts: 664
    Naaa @Elminster Your post was hilarious :-)
  • shawneshawne Member Posts: 3,239
    elminster said:

Mindflayers be damned.

And with 2 INT, you'll be saying that a lot in the Underdark. :)

• Twilight_FoxTwilight_Fox Member Posts: 448
    Fighter Gnome, why not? ^^
  • DKnightDKnight Member Posts: 307
    I have trouble playing any of the small races as fighting classes. Gnomes are more magically inclined, Dwarves are not so bad, but I dislike the loss of dexterity, Halflings, while many are not as strong, look at Icewind Dale 2 at some of the sub races. Some of the sub races in IWD 2 are very powerful.

The sub races in Icewind Dale 2 is where I could seriously consider playing a halfling as a high dexterity character.

edited August 2012
    DKnight said:

I have trouble playing any of the small races as fighting classes. Gnomes are more magically inclined, Dwarves are not so bad, but I dislike the loss of dexterity, Halflings, while many are not as strong, look at Icewind Dale 2 at some of the sub races. Some of the sub races in IWD 2 are very powerful.

The sub races in Icewind Dale 2 is where I could seriously consider playing a halfling as a high dexterity character.

The loss of dexterity isn't that big of a deal for a dwarven fighter, because there is no ac bonus between 18 and 19 dexterity. Meaning that once you get the gauntlets of dexterity in the gnoll fortress or the tome of dexterity in the city of BG you are all set. Unless you are using ranged weapons it really isn't that big of a deal (and even then the difference between 18 and 19 dexterity in that case is a +1 bonus to thaco, which is not that substancial.