Skip to content

Extra experience on higher difficulty levels?

NalimNalim Member Posts: 19
Hi,

the title quite sums it up ;). As far as I remember, in BG 1 you got extra experience when choosing a higher difficulty level, but this changed with BG 2. So, is there any info on how it will be handled in BG:EE ?

Best regards,
Nalim

Comments

• ajwzajwz Member Posts: 4,122
    I don't remember this, although you always got *lower* experience if you switched to lower difficulties than core rules. Later on, (i think in some boxed compilations) after ToB cam out the games default difficulty setting was set 1 notch below this - maybe this effect is what you were experiencing?
  • NalimNalim Member Posts: 19
    Well, to be honest, I'm not even sure how it was for me anymore - it's been some time since I last played BG 1. Comments in other forums (namely: http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=52348 ) brought this to my attention...
  • ajwzajwz Member Posts: 4,122
    I wouldn't really see the need of this anyway - both bg1 and bg2 are level capped and will be as far as I am aware in ee, and you will reach the level cap in both with a full party while playing fastidiously. The idea of an extra xp reward as a nice boost anyway to make you level up a bit faster would then defeat the fact you are playing on a high difficulty setting - surely you are doing this to increase the challenge? Therefore levelling up sooner removes the challenge you have just increased the setting to gain.
  • ShinShin Member Posts: 2,345
    Pretty sure you always get pretty much the same amount of exp in BG1. There's a bug that gives you 110% of monster kill exp across all difficulties, but this can be disabled with Tobex.
  • SilenceSilence Member Posts: 437
    edited August 2012
    I'm pretty sure that's only in IWD. I don't think any edition in the BG series had this feature. The extra XP for monsters sounds like a good idea, but it might make the game easier in the end because you level faster.
  • CCarluNNCCarluNN Member Posts: 200
    In IWD, Heart of Fury mode gives you more exp, while other difficulty settings outside this mode don't. As far as I know, BG does not have such a thing.
  • DavidWDavidW Member Posts: 823
    In my view this is a bad idea, so taking it out of BG2 was sensible. The idea of a higher difficulty setting is to increase the challenge. But giving out more XP (or cooler stuff, etc) just serves to make the party more powerful. The result is an arms race of sorts: everyone (monsters and party) are more powerful, but the challenge doesn't actually change.
  • Jean_LucJean_Luc Member Posts: 228
    More exp on higher difficulty would kinda defeat the purpose of higher difficulty.
  • O_BruceO_Bruce Member Posts: 2,790
    In BG1, you get pentalies to gained experience for creatures killing, due to lower difficulty level. But, at high difficulty levels you weren't gaining extra exp. The point of difficult settings was to make game harder, wasn't it? So no suprise that no bonus to experience gained existed.