Skip to content

[IWD:EE] Bring Back Original Spell Icons

RedrakeRedrake Member Posts: 426
In my opinion the spell icons from the original IWD game were a lot more polished than the ones from BG1&2. The reason was obvious, when BIS made IWD they concentrated more on having a nicer interface and a much better eye-candy gameplay. On BG1&2 they concentrated on story and roleplaying, so the graphics were functional but not as nice to look at. Since this is supposed to be IWD:EE, I'd say it should have everything that was good in the original only enhanced not downgraded.

I am attaching 2 screenshots for how level 2 cleric spells look now in EE and how they look in the original.

Comments

• bob_vengbob_veng Member Posts: 2,308
    you can't add them back because the spells brought over from bg2:ee don't have icons in this visual style which is much more detailed and i think near impossible to replicate.
  • RedrakeRedrake Member Posts: 426
    bob_veng said:

you can't add them back because the spells brought over from bg2:ee don't have icons in this visual style which is much more detailed and i think near impossible to replicate.

Back when I worked on my mod in the original IWD, I went as far as adding spells from BG2 (meteor swarm for example) and I imported icons from IWD2. I doubt icon importation is suddenly impossible in EE. This version is supposed to be more friendly to modding.
    As they are, they do not look enhanced at all.

edited November 2014
    you can't have mixed icons, that looks unprofessional.
  • boxmanboxman Member Posts: 19
    I second the notion to bring back the old spell icons. I loved them and felt they greatly added to the game's aesthetic. It is not impossible to replicate the style to create new art for the BG spells. That's like saying it's impossible to draw another stick man because nobody remembers how...
  • TJ_HookerTJ_Hooker Member Posts: 2,438
    Redrake said:

Back when I worked on my mod in the original IWD, I went as far as adding spells from BG2 (meteor swarm for example) and I imported icons from IWD2. I doubt icon importation is suddenly impossible in EE.

As Beamdog doesn't have the rights to IWD2 (as far as I know), I don't think they're allowed to use resources from that game. So it's not as easy as just importing them.
  • RedrakeRedrake Member Posts: 426
    TJ_Hooker said:

As Beamdog doesn't have the rights to IWD2 (as far as I know), I don't think they're allowed to use resources from that game. So it's not as easy as just importing them.

IWD2 icons were later re-used in NWN2. But some of them were originally designed for PS:T.
    And I am not actually suggesting more than implementing the old IWD1 icons, for spells like healing and magic missile and keep the new ones (albeit modified to look alike) from BG2.

edited December 2014
    boxman said:

I second the notion to bring back the old spell icons. I loved them and felt they greatly added to the game's aesthetic. It is not impossible to replicate the style to create new art for the BG spells. That's like saying it's impossible to draw another stick man because nobody remembers how...

okay it's not impossible but it's near impossble.